Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: "Something about This Game Feels Wrong..." rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever played a game and thought, "Hmm... this doesn't chime with the history of the subject, something's wrong." Do you have any examples of that occuring?

Please detail what game mechanic seems ahistorical and what you're comparing it to (e.g. other games, history books, documentaries).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Well, where do I start? Why not with the top 100 wargames?

#1 Twilight Struggle: the game that takes place in a parallel world where the Domino Theory applied.

#2 Paths of Glory: The game where the system is geared to threaten immediate-death encirclements that never occurred in WWI... where there are no mountains between Austria and Italy...

#5 Combat Commander: Pacific: where you can decide which of the enemy guns your malfunction card will apply to <shudder>

#12 Advanced Squad Leader: The game where "skulking" is good form - units running out of hexes they sit in and then jump back in in a sequence-of-play generated artificial move that's not movement...

#13 Maria: a very clever game but the card suits in combat just completely grate. Destroys any connection to historical maneuvering that the game may have, even as it makes it even cleverer as a game.

#18 Napoleon's Triumph: The game where it is so tough to site and fire artillery (the major killer of the Napoleonic Wars) that its best use is to sit there undetected as an apparent threat - because the enemy historically couldn't distinguish artillery from infantry until they were at point blank range...

I could go on...

Quote:

Please detail what game mechanic seems ahistorical and what you're comparing it to (e.g. other games, history books, documentaries).

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All is lost to me: Pavia 1525

To be fair, I only played an advanced beta copy of it, but going by the other comments I don't think the designer changed a single thing about it.

You can learn more about 16th century warfare by playing a game of My Little Pony.

Put me off beta testing other people's designs for a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin
mbmbmbmbmb

Another Tom and Jerry thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, let me try my hand at this.

COIN series: Losses are entirely deterministic.
Fields of Despair: There's virtually no stacking limit (technically 60 strength points).
Leader series: The expectations of enemy losses in a single sortie are ridiculously high.
Triumph & Tragedy: Tanks can fire before infantry, but have half the firepower of infantry. Terrain has virtually no effect on combat.

Euro Front II series, Fields of Despair, Hammer of the Scots system, Paths of Glory, Rommel in the Desert, Triumph & Tragedy, ... plus too many more to be named: Combat is incredibly dicey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Having recently played Fleet Commander: Nimitz the first thing that comes to mind is all those zombie carrier aircraft(especially IJN) zombie It reminds me of that old Doritos commercial: "Munch all you want, we'll make more!"

And the battle plans. So let me get this straight: somehow in 1942 the IJN was able, at times, to enhance their AAA defense in a given battle but the USN never did?

I really need to write that review I've been kicking around...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yom Kippur: "Circle the wagons, men!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The Conflict of Heroes series. The mechanic that encourages you to fire a second time at an enemy unit that has a yellow hit marker to eliminate it, instead of a more obvious threat. Gamey.*

I'd prefer a variant that let you accumulate, and then rally off in whatever order made sense, multiple yellow hit markers on a unit, with accumulation penalties. Units can only get destroyed in close combat, drawing the killed yellow marker, or by a second (third?) yellow hit marker received when fired from an adjacent unit maybe.

I think the series is pretty good other than that.

2. The ability in the Combat Commander Series series to discard more cards than your nation is allowed to normally discard in a turn (breaking the spirit of this rule), by simply playing movement cards in an ASL skulking type manner. This is slightly countered by the fact that you may be discarding valuable movement cards you might want later, but it still feels kind of gamey to me. However, I do admit to freely doing this during play if necessary ... even though I feel like I should shower or something for doing it.

3. All of the popular tactical games (ASL, CC, LnL, BoB, ATS, et al) for not enforcing any sense of actual unit cohesion and/or C-and-C. These squads are part of that platoon; these platoons are part of that company, etc. You actually didn't get to run willy-nilly all over the field of battle, you know.

And don't get me started on how under-powered artillery is in these games. Whole companies of men can be savaged and stopped by some well placed artillery in a very short period of time. A standard X-pattern of single spotting rounds would cover seven CC hexes, never mind a full on fire barrage or quick firing plan; a barrage would cover, at a regimental level, an area equivalent to 10x10 CC hexes. And the safe distance from the blast of a "small" 25 pounder or 3.7" howitzer shell? 200 yards (almost 7 CC hexes).

Even a single US 81mm mortar could bring down a concentration 100 yards by 100 yards (3 square CC hexes), according to Bull's research.

----------

*Then again, the whole two-state "okay-broken" trope in tactical games probably needs some re-thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duc de Guise wrote:
However, all that they simulate is a (differently-themed) eurogame.

You keep saying this, but I haven't seen any convincing evidence to back it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Melnick
United States
Enola
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

Crap. Nothing on but reruns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WMelnick wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

Crap. Nothing on but reruns.

Yep. Hopefully the popcorn can kill the taste of:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is, when I shoot somebody in a tactical war game, my opponent isn't actually injured.

Sad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeriousCat wrote:
Have you ever played a game and thought, "Hmm... this doesn't chime with the history of the subject, something's wrong." Do you have any examples of that occuring?

I still maintain no game can be historically accurate to the point it satisfies everyone. Games resonate with folks because it aligns, at least to some degree, with the fan's level of knowledge and expectation for the topic.

I point back to Churchill because people griped up a storm about FDR & Churchill being at odds. Herman kept reminding folks that things weren't blissful and that the US and England had different approaches which were quite contentious at times. Now, of course, there's a book on the subject but when the game was released it didn't align to the narrative most accessible to gamers and therefore didn't ring historically true.

In short, there's no pleasing all the people all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue... too short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

He's got Hand! On popcorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

3. All of the popular tactical games (ASL, CC, LnL, BoB, ATS, et al) for not enforcing any sense of actual unit cohesion and/or C-and-C. These squads are part of that platoon; these platoons are part of that company, etc. You actually didn't get to run willy-nilly all over the field of battle, you know.

And don't get me started on how under-powered artillery is in these games. Whole companies of men can be savaged and stopped by some well placed artillery in a very short period of time. A standard X-pattern of single spotting rounds would cover seven CC hexes, never mind a full on fire barrage or quick firing plan; a barrage would cover, at a regimental level, an area equivalent to 10x10 CC hexes. And the safe distance from the blast of a "small" 25 pounder or 3.7" howitzer shell? 200 yards (almost 7 CC hexes).

Even a single US 81mm mortar could bring down a concentration 100 yards by 100 yards (3 square CC hexes), according to Bull's research.

----------

*Then again, the whole two-state "okay-broken" trope in tactical games probably needs some re-thinking.

This times 1,000. I will say that the effect grates on me more in systems like ASL that layer on the detail--the end result is just Quixotic.

Also a general shout out to the many games where the scenario set-ups would be profoundly suboptimal positions to find yourself in mid-way through a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
All I know is, when I shoot somebody in a tactical war game, my opponent isn't actually injured.

Sad!

??

Very few rule systems actually forbid this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:

I could go on...

Please do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The irony here is that so many of these games have sold/are selling like hotcakes. If only I would design games so wrong . . . laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
-- Turning Point: Stalingrad. German losses feel relatively tiny compared to what we know from history. Players look at the Soviet "dead pile" and then the German one and can't understand how this happens. Soviet play is focused on inducing time delays/friction into German operations vice going after unit kills most of the time. I suppose there's an argument to be made that the scale of the game makes outright kills of whole companies/battalions unlikely for the German side, but--yes--"it doesn't feel right." I still can't stop playing this game, however.

I agree that there are a huge number of games that feel wrong in one way or another. It's merely a matter of what individual players are willing to overlook/suspend disbelief over/otherwise put up with. What I can live with may not be something you are willing to live with--and vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander Series You cycle through the deck to find the cards you need for that damn action in the midst of tactical situation.

Victory Point Games States of Siege Series You roll to defeat a Front of Army, with no strategy but luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Michael Rinella wrote:
The irony here is that so many of these games have sold/are selling like hotcakes. If only I would design games so wrong . . . laugh

How in Monty's Gamble British Armored Car Recces are so POWERFUL and how in the tournament scenario often ends in throwing chit at the the last turn edge hoping something survives for that last VP...in grand lemming style suicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Sad!

Agreed! I think John Hill's quote is appropriate here ...

Quote:
The only way you could possibly approach an accurate simulation of the battle environment and its tension would be if both players had the clear understanding that the loser would be shot.

PaulWRoberts wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Sad!

??

Very few rule systems actually forbid this.

Surely there's an ASL rule somewhere, though?

ericmwalters wrote:
It's merely a matter of what individual players are willing to overlook/suspend disbelief over/otherwise put up with. What I can live with may not be something you are willing to live with--and vice versa.

QFT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Mooney
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Begin a Lifetime of Pleasure! Begin with TACTICS II
badge
Boris Karloff as General Nikolas Pherides in ISLE OF THE DEAD (1945)
mbmbmbmbmb
Routing rules in any number of games where the routed unit is removed from the point of contact to reappear at some pre-placed standard, or supply point, or another designated location, magically reformed (if disrupted).

Problem I suppose is that more plausible routing schemes would mean a lot more rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.