Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are pretty clear that the game's mix of unnamed counters are the limit for the different types of ships in play. So if a named ship card, such as CSS Alabama appears late in a game when all 6 Raider counters are already out raiding, what is the player's option with this card?

Assuming there are no stacking issues, I can't see any legal way to pick up an existing Raider (or other type of vessel for that matter) and replace it with a named replacement. This leads me to assume the only card options for the player are to:

a) dump the card at next discard opportunity to free up hand space;

b) hold the card in hopes one of the unnamed ships returns to the 'available' pile soon, then play the card to place named ship

Am I missing anything here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't have the rules handy, but I think you replace an unnamed ship with the named one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ron42na wrote:
I don't have the rules handy, but I think you replace an unnamed ship with the named one.

Yes, that is what typically happens with cards to be used for naval assaults and speed rolls to help catch (or make it harder to catch) Blockade Runners. But in the case of the CSS Alabama card, it says to place the named ship Alabama in a neutral European port. But my original post was directed at the situation where all 6 of the raiders were already on the board.

I came to the conclusion that the aforementioned card simply couldn't be played in that situation. Thinking about it more today, I thought of a follow-up question: If all raiders are on the board, but one is still sitting in a European port, could that counter be replaced with the Alabama counter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.