Subject: One's stack of completed buildings - open info? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
When I taught the game a few days ago there was a question about whether the player's stacks of completed buildings was open info. Basically one of the players wanted to hide his and not let anyone know how close he was getting to the game ending trigger of 17 victory points. I ruled it was open, though I don't recall the rules saying either way. I suggested they fan them out slightly so that everyone could readily see the other player's VP totals. I told them my logic was I was afraid with only the top building of their stack showing even they would forget if they'd reached 17 VPs and the game might go on too long, especially since we were all new to the game.

So, is there an official position on whether one's current VP total is open information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook only says:

Quote:
Then, turn over the Building and set it aside with the rest of your finished Buildings, if any.
This makes it easy to total up your victory points.

This does suggest they are all visible - which means everyone can see everyone else's. There is also no rule that says how /when you would reveal, just that it ends on the round the 17 point trigger happens :

Quote:
If you have 17 or more victory points at the end of your turn (counting only Buildings and
Machines, but not Sesterces, Slaves, or Loans), the game will end.

That said, you can always play how you want you just need to agree ahead of time. I think you would need additional rules for how /when to reveal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.