BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG.Spring

Subject: First timers attending final day only. Worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paula Barber
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My daughter (age 10) is a board game fanatic. I just found out about BBG-Spring a few weeks ago. It happens to be over her birthday weekend and I would love to take her to see what it is all about. Unfortunately, we will likely only be available on Monday, the final day of the event. Do you think it would be worth it to attend just the final day? Will we be missing out on too much? Or will it still be a great way to get an introduction to a board game con?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last day is not a full day and folks are normally heading home before the con actually closes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no one-day passes, so you'd be paying full price (for each person) to join the least-attended day of the convention. Plus, the game library will be closing down sometime mid-afternoon, if I remember correctly.

Sure, there are people who stay and game (using their own games) until late on Monday. But since there's no official programming on Monday evening, it's basically just a super-sized version of a community game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
If price is no concern then yea - why not? You'll get some gaming in for sure - but most of the rest of the con will be winding down.

I wouldn't spend that money just for a morning+afternoon... but that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard that there is a big Dallas board-game meetup the week or so before BGG spring. That might be fun to take her too as well.

AS board-game conventions go, BGG is more about playing the games, and the game library, and (at least for spring), less about organized events and vendors. If you can get there early in the morning, you can do a once-through of the vendor booths and try out their games- Queen, Stronghold, Mayday, and Northstar, were there last year with a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. Everyone usually starts shutting down around 12 or 1, so you can get a good once-through. Also, the SdJ games are out in the morning on Sunday, so you can get a once-through of everything nominated for German Game of the Year.

If she wants to go and just play games for a few hours, it will be fun, but Monday definitely shuts down early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
The last day the vendor hall closes early, and most people are getting out and winding down. You'd get some gaming in but it would really just be kind of a tease in my opinion. Is it better than nothing? Maybe, though it will make you want to do the full thing suuuper badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will unfortunately agree that only going to the last day would likely not be worth it. It's the least attended day by far, as most people are packing up to go home and the amount of gaming is significantly reduced. That combined with the lack of day passes means it'd be a lot of money for relatively little reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kravetz
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can at all swing Sunday night as well,that's when the prize drawings are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula Barber
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone! This is just the information I needed. I think if we can't manage to free up our weekend days, we will shoot to attend Friday instead of Monday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.