Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Glicker
United States
Scarsdale
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been reading how people find this game extremely hard, but yet I don't see anywhere in the rules where you couldn't just clear a room and before you open a door and go to the next room you just continue to do Long Rests (or Short Rests if the can afford the cards) to reset your gear, completely heal up and get back some cards.

So basically you can clear a room, rest up and recharge, open door, clear room, rest up and recharge, repeat until level is clear.

Obviously missions with timers this wouldn't work but is there is any in the rules that isn't allowed? Would you think this might somehow break the game and be considered "cheating" in some way? What do people think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
You lose a card every time you rest. Not "discard", but lose for the duration of the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time you rest, you lose a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean K
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
You still lose a card when you do a long rest, so it does bring you closer to exhaustion. I use them sometimes before opening a new room, but usually just the character closest to the door while the others catch up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you take a rest (long or short) you must lose a card from your discards. Lost cards cannot (normally) be regained. Therefore each rest brings you closer to being exhausted (as strange as that sounds).

So your idea will not work. This game is a bit of a rush to win before you are exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Every time you rest you Lose a card from your discard. There aren't many ways to get these Lost cards back during a scenario and I'm pretty none of those ways are sustainable. If you rest too much, eventually you'll have run out of cards to play and become exhausted that way.

Edit: So incredibly beaten. That's what I get for phone-posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone else has this covered, but I will say that an empty room is an excellent time to do a long rest as opposed to a short one, so you have that part correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule that prevents this is on p. 17 in the section on Resting:

"...the rest action can only be taken if a player has two or more cards in his or her discard pile..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Novan wrote:

I don't see anywhere in the rules where you couldn't just clear a room and before you open a door and go to the next room you just continue to do Long Rests (or Short Rests if the can afford the cards) to reset your gear, completely heal up and get back some cards.

Long Rest only heals 2hp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Novan wrote:
and before you open a door and go to the next room you just continue to do Long Rests (or Short Rests if the can afford the cards) to reset your gear,

Short rests don't reset gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Novan wrote:

I don't see anywhere in the rules where you couldn't just clear a room and before you open a door and go to the next room you just continue to do Long Rests (or Short Rests if the can afford the cards) to reset your gear, completely heal up and get back some cards.

Long Rest only heals 2hp.

well, I guess if you wouldn't lose cards with it you could long rest as many times as you want to get all of the HP back.
But yes, pretty sure losing a card when long resting has been overlooked here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Söderberg
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but you lose a card each time you rest cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mb
dodenstass wrote:
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but you lose a card each time you rest cool

Yeah, you lose a card when long resting.

Edit: bushel of ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glicker
United States
Scarsdale
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BillyLiar1010 wrote:

"...the rest action can only be taken if a player has two or more cards in his or her discard pile..."

All jokes aside this is what I was looking for. As you could just restock your hand through player tricks and then just do long rests until you are fully rested with no cards left in your discard.

However I did miss this rule, hence you can't do what I was talking about, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Novan wrote:
BillyLiar1010 wrote:

All jokes aside this is what I was looking for. As you could just restock your hand through player tricks and then just do long rests until you are fully rested with no cards left in your discard.

However I did miss this rule, hence you can't do what I was talking about, thanks!
Even if you COULD do that, you'd end up exhausted pretty fast, since you lose a card every time. Remember that losing a card is not the same as discarding one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
Heilz wrote:
Novan wrote:

Even if you COULD do that, you'd end up exhausted pretty fast, since you lose a card every time. Remember that losing a card is not the same as discarding one.

He was talking about taking long rests without any cards in your discard, just to get HP back. This is still technically possible, under very specific circumstances (i.e. you declare a long rest while you have 2+ cards in your discard and have another character use an ability that lets you recover your discarded cards that turn - you'd then take your long rest as usual but wouldn't be able to lose a card from your discard).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, since we're cheating, I think I'll just pick up my discard and lost piles on that long rest. And I'll heal 4 hp!

Ready for the next room... arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeeeeeaaaaaaaa, hi. Did you get the memo... about losing a card on long rests? Because we're actually losing a card whenever we do a long rest now. Let me send you another memo about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen LastNameHere
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Our group opens the door and moves away from the opening. Let the enemies spend THIER action to close the gap, and save us from having to do so. That way the turn doesn't feel wasted, and they conviently funnel through a door. Also be sure to remember you also lose a card when resting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glicker
United States
Scarsdale
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hachieman2000 wrote:
Our group opens the door and moves away from the opening. Let the enemies spend THIER action to close the gap, and save us from having to do so. That way the turn doesn't feel wasted, and they conviently funnel through a door. Also be sure to remember you also lose a card when resting.

Ah, see that is the "cheating" I was originally talking about. Not quite the same but sort of similar where you always know there will be bad guys behind a door so you can open the door, step back, put traps in front of the door, and then let the bad guys funnel through the door and slowly get killed while you pick them off from a distance. Not quite "cheating" per say but using the "rules to the best of your advantage."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novan wrote:
hachieman2000 wrote:

Ah, see that is the "cheating" I was originally talking about. Not quite the same but sort of similar where you always know there will be bad guys behind a door so you can open the door, step back, put traps in front of the door, and then let the bad guys funnel through the door and slowly get killed while you pick them off from a distance. Not quite "cheating" per say but using the "rules to the best of your advantage."

That's not cheating, that's strategy. It's actually what the monsters are doing the whole time: waiting for you to come and open the door with all their traps being ready. So yeah, I'm totally using that on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novan wrote:
hachieman2000 wrote:

Well, so far whenever I open a door in a dungeon, monsters attack me. So I'm going to expect that to happen all the time...

Boy am I gonna be surprised when I open a door to an empty room, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrushU wrote:

Boy am I gonna be surprised when I open a door to an empty room, eh?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Well, I certainly was when it actually happened

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Novan wrote:

We use this strategy quite often, but there are a lot of times where you simply don't have enough cards to sit back the entire game. Every win (except for one of out eight games s far) has come within one turn from full party exhaustion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Warner
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without any spoilers, let me also say that there are multiple enemy types where "open the door and retreat back through" is definitely not a good strategy. Either way, it is definitely strategy, not cheating (unless you are peeking at the room contents to decide whether to use this strategy, then you are cheating).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.