Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the last KS update, I've been waiting for someone to post this but either I missed it or no one has. In the update, Isaac announced the expansion in a sneaky little sentence at the end of the update:

"As I said above, delivering this project to you has been a joy. I hope to see you again in a month for the Founders of Gloomhaven Kickstarter. Or, if that's not your thing, maybe a year or so down the road for the inevitable Gloomhaven expansion, after you have had enough to time to play through the stupid amount of content you already have"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He announced it several months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not know that. Old news then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still though WOOOOOOOO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
I did not know that.

That's because you've been too busy keeping the rules summary updated with new information.

Thanks for that, by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still can't believe it yet and think it might just be a weird joke of him. I am sure to remember that Isaac said half a year ago that he will not produce a printed expansion for Gloomhaven because the game is already big enough and he rather develops new games in the world of Gloomhaven.

Maybe I remember wrong, maybe he canged his mind... whatever. What matters is that there really will be a GH expansion laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonce wrote:
I still can't believe it yet and think it might just be a weird joke of him. I am sure to remember that Isaac said half a year ago that he will not produce a printed expansion for Gloomhaven because the game is already big enough and he rather develops new games in the world of Gloomhaven.

That was before there was demand for over 25,000 retail copies, and the game rockets into the top 50 within weeks. He's trying to start a new game publishing company, so he probably reconsidered his stance on an expansion. Even if only 20% of gamers in that demand pool end up purchasing the expansion, that's still over 6,000 copies sold -- more than the entire print run of many base games by small publishers.

Isaac has a gem on his hands. He'd be a fool not to take advantage of it and use Gloomhaven's popularity to help grow his business.

And if I've learned anything from my time wandering the alleyways of Gloomhaven, it's that Isaac Childres ain't no fool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonce wrote:
I am sure to remember that Isaac said half a year ago that he will not produce a printed expansion for Gloomhaven

If that was truly the case, why would he make a map board with the whole left side being "cut off" and have words like "Capital this way" or whatever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
If that was truly the case, why would he make a map board with the whole left side being "cut off" and have words like "Capital this way" or whatever?

I can't find the concrete reference, but I am pretty sure Isaac said somewhere that setting the map this way was purely a stylistic choice and that the lands to the west were mostly boring farmlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Coppel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garou wrote:
Wuyley wrote:

I can't find the concrete reference, but I am pretty sure Isaac said somewhere that setting the map this way was purely a stylistic choice and that the lands to the west were mostly boring farmlands.

They may not be boring in a year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
For those interested in more info, in his Tabletop Game Talk interview last week he said the following, to the best of my recollection:

It wouldn't be as big of a box.

He'd want there to be a full new campaign in there.

There would be new monsters and characters and items and map tiles and such, but not to the degree of the core box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
For those interested in more info, in his Tabletop Game Talk interview last week he said the following, to the best of my recollection:

There would be new monsters and characters and items and map tiles and such, but not to the degree of the core box.

Well hopefully he'll play the competition before then. So his level design is not a decade behind the competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Warner
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
alphasquid wrote:

Well hopefully he'll play the competition before then. So his level design is not a decade behind the competition.

It might be more useful if you gave some details about what you don't like about the level design. It may seem self-evident to you, but specific feedback is always better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwarner34 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
alphasquid wrote:

It might be more useful if you gave some details about what you don't like about the level design. It may seem self-evident to you, but specific feedback is always better.

Let me first say I love the game. It's mostly a breath of fresh air in the dice chucking genre. Issiac has said he doesn't play dungeon crawls with dice and he hadn't played descent. I think he should.

His card system is miles better than the dice systems. His level up system is great too. But all the scenarios I've played so far (around 15 I think) are "Kill all enemies/or boss". Other games in the genre have fantastic mission design where every mission has a different objective. Gloomhaven does not. Just imagine if it did, mixed with the amazing card play. It would be damn near perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Warner
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
bwarner34 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
alphasquid wrote:

Let me first say I love the game. It's mostly a breath of fresh air in the dice chucking genre. Issiac has said he doesn't play dungeon crawls with dice and he hadn't played descent. I think he should.

His card system is miles better than the dice systems. His level up system is great too. But all the scenarios I've played so far (around 15 I think) are "Kill all enemies/or boss". Other games in the genre have fantastic mission design where every mission has a different objective. Gloomhaven does not. Just imagine if it did, mixed with the amazing card play. It would be damn near perfect.

Yep, that makes sense. I definitely disagree with "his level design is a decade behind the competition", but I agree that having more varied mission objectives would be a good thing. For what its worth, I've played about 12 different scenarios so far, and 2 of those had goals that weren't at all related to killing things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
bwarner34 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
alphasquid wrote:

Agree - tactical and creative missions that involve moral dilemmas would be fantastic.

Mission is to rescue captured prisoners - but if I let 2 of them die, i could steal this treasure, what should I do? Then after the mission your choices impact the storyline. Could get complicate I understand, but you can design stuff other than kill everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about 10 scenarios in and we've had an objective other than "kill all enemies" about 40% of the time. A couple of them have been kill the boss. Maybe that's all the same to you, but it's been quite different each time.

I haven't played hardly any Descent, so I can't compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwarner34 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
bwarner34 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
alphasquid wrote:

Yep, that makes sense. I definitely disagree with "his level design is a decade behind the competition", but I agree that having more varied mission objectives would be a good thing. For what its worth, I've played about 12 different scenarios so far, and 2 of those had goals that weren't at all related to killing things.

Well low scenario variation was one of my biggest concerns with the game, as I only played the first scenario so far, i can't really comment on that though.

The thing is the objective based quests are the reason why I think Descent 2ed is the best dungeon-crawler out there (and why I think it's above IA)... of course I can't judge Gloomhaven yet and I trust in Isaac that eventhough the goal remains the same, the quests do feel pretty different because of the different monsters.

Then again I think it could be pretty hard to incorporate different objectives since the actions are binded to the cards and they don't feature something like interact actions or the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Senser
United States
Oak Park
IL
flag msg tools
Yes they do.
badge
This isn't my dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished my 15th scenario, and I would say that almost every one I've played has felt different than others. There have been at least 3-4 that were not "Kill all enemies" and changed things up in interesting ways.

Even the kill all enemies ones have been pretty different.

Now, I will say, and this might just be because of the story path I took, I'm getting pretty damn sick of fighting demons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Baker
Canada
Taber
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomburrito wrote:
Now, I will say, and this might just be because of the story path I took, I'm getting pretty damn sick of fighting demons

Having only played the first two scenarios, this got me really excited because:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I have the personal quest that requires me to kill two of each type of demon. You can call me Firenza Frostheart, the Demon Hunting Spellweaver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Senser
United States
Oak Park
IL
flag msg tools
Yes they do.
badge
This isn't my dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjoBaker wrote:
Doomburrito wrote:

Having only played the first two scenarios, this got me really excited because:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I have the personal quest that requires me to kill two of each type of demon. You can call me Firenza Frostheart, the Demon Hunting Spellweaver

Well, you won't have any trouble with that one if you take the route I did. At all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, we are 5 scenarios in and one of our players only has like 2 or 3 kills left over. Demons are certainly not hard to find once you've encountered them and actively pursue their story arc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:

95 more scenarios, more map-tiles, more cards, more items? I'd buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jasiven wrote:
95 more scenarios, more map-tiles, more cards, more items? I'd buy it.

Personally, I'd want the new tiles to have a purpose other than just different looking versions of tiles we already have. New shapes and/or sizes, that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't lie, I'd be down for more heroes and enemies real quick.

Items and Tiles seem sufficient, but if he wants to go nuts, go nuts.

RE: Mission variance, I definitely would like to see more done here. I love it as is, but for sure, there are many different missions that could be done and a lot of potential still untapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.