Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Variants

Subject: Minor insanity fix rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Alfredsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, my group each take an insanity card during setup which we look at and place under the investigator card. We may not look at it again until we become insane.

This way we seem to gradually become more insane as we sometimes start doing unhelpful things when we're close to going insane. It seems to help with the eleventh hour insanity induced auto-loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
to be fair, if you know that going insane might get you an easier win, you can prep for that instead.

:/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It actually creates a nice meta game. As people begin taking actions that seem to align to an insane condition, the rest of the party will try to stop them. Remember, in some cases ONLY the insane player wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea was already presented once in a variant thread.
In fact, err404, wasn't it even you who proposed it? laugh
Alternative to insane mechanic (not alternate effects) (2nd post)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But where's the logic in that you know in advance that you'll become a killer for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Alfredsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at it like this:
Ritas grandmother killed her husband after he slept with someone else, Ritas uncle killed his best friend during the war. And so on. There's a history of homicide kn the family. So Rita knows that IF she goes insane, she is likely to kill someone she otherwise cares for or trusts. It is something she herself doesn't want, but when stressed might end up doing. Therefore she will try hard to avoid. But by the same token as she starts to slip towards madness she inches closer to the others, making sure she has a weapon hand because if she doesn't have a ready victim available who might she decide to kill first? Maybe she sees herself in a mirror and attempts to end herself.

Why she would do it is less important than knowing that she will.

Similarly William has stolen before when stressed and knows that this is something he is likely to do if life becomes too much again. He knows it is wrong and that it would annoy his friends. He also knows that it would at most annoy them while he is worried about what some of his friends might do. He is more likely to jump into danger because it isn't that horrible if he feels the urge to hide all the evidence in his pockets. If he just makes sure that he survives and none of his friends go insane (possibly homocidal or worse)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd want to keep at least a little bit of randomness, though, so the player doesn't know exactly what they're getting. I'm tempted to go with this rule:

At the beginning of the game, deal each player three Insane cards. Each player chooses one to discard and puts the other two underneath their card. If someone goes Insane, they randomly choose one and discard the other.

That way you're not 100% sure what you're going to get, and it makes it a bit harder to hedge your bets. At the same time, if a player really really hates a particular Insane card, it gives them a way to avoid it, which is less "realistic" but keeps everyone having fun. (For example, some players really hate betrayal cards while others instead hate cards that restrict their actions.)

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Alfredsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a good idea. Might try that next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group talked about it for a bit, and decided that we're going to try this as our house rule:

Know Your Own Demons

No one can be 100% certain how they'll react when faced with madness, but most of us know roughly what our mental weak spots are. At the beginning of the game, deal each player three Insane cards. Each person should privately look at them and choose one to discard. Put the other two underneath your character card, face-down; if you ever become insane, choose one of those cards randomly.

Optionally, if you really hate two of those Insane cards, you can discard two . . . but then you have to draw another Insane card face-down (before returning yours to the deck!) and you do not get to look at it unless that's the one that comes up when you go insane. (Or if you really want, you can discard all three, but then if you later go insane you draw one card from the Insane deck as per the usual rules.)

This gives players more agency, allowing them to prepare in advance for potential insanity, but without knowing for sure what will happen. It also helps prevent players from being stuck with hated Insane conditions that may ruin their fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lloyd
msg tools
I would suggest dealing each player two insanity cards, letting them discard one, and then shuffling the remainder into a pile. If someone goes insane, they draw their insane condition from that pile. That way there's a chance for players to weed out insanity conditions they really don't like, there's some limited ability to plan ahead for potential insanity conditions while maintaining plenty of uncertainty about what will happen to you if you go insane, AND you have some limited knowledge of what another player's insanity condition might be.

For example, if I draw One of the Thousand and Spread the Truth, I will discard the former and add the latter to the pile. Then during the game I will make an effort to acquire evidence items just in case. But I still will try hard to not go insane because I don't know what other cards are in the pile.

Actually the more I consider this the more I like it. Another example: if I know that Obsessive is in the pile, I will try to resolve all the search tokens I can just in case. But this ends up helping anyone who happens to pull that card as their insanity condition. It seems like this variant would slightly ameliorate the common complaints about insanity while keeping the tension and suspense that it adds to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.