Subject: How to Moderate a game of Forbidden Stars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul B
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following is an introduction for any whom wish to moderate a Forbidden Stars PBF game. The following assumes that the moderator has a strong grasp on how the game is played. This post is not a game rules guide.

Whilst my method is not the definitive way to moderate the game, it is a method that has worked successfully in the past.

For example:
Forbidden Stars - PBF003 - WAAAAAAAAGH!
Forbidden Stars - PBF005 - For the Emperor
Forbidden Stars - PBF006 - Lure of Chaos

Why would I want to moderate a Forbidden Stars PBF?

Whilst the motivation for any one individual varies, the experiences I have encountered have all been very positive. From learning a player’s individual mindset and strategy to having an omniscient perspective of the game, the upsides are very rewarding. Not only this, but since the game is expensive and out of print, this could be the only way an individual may be able to experience the grandiose experience of Warhammer 40k that is Forbidden Stars. Besides, sometimes it’s just cathartic to give back to the BGG community.

Setting up and using the map:

Download the Vassal program found here: http://www.vassalengine.org/

Download the Forbidden Stars module found here: http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/666157/Forbidden%20S...

Running the module with the Vassal program installed will open up the necessary assets that can then be dragged and dropped.

The module is rather intuitive but can only effectively be learnt by investigating it for oneself. Essentially, all assets are in the module and by getting a grasp on the location and functionality of it, one can place any of the game elements wherever necessary.

The module does not have a hard limit on assets like the board game does (ie there are only 9 cultist figures in the board game however one could potentially pull infinite number of cultist assets into the module). Henceforth, it’s important to be aware of the limit of any and all pieces in the game. This information is great to have in the players resource section.

Once a map is ready to be posted to the thread, there is a camera icon along the top toolbar in the module. Select this and it will save a copy to a picture format (make sure that it has a picture file extension such as .jpg) to your hardrive. Upload this picture to your user gallery in BGG. Now that it is in your gallery, it will have a unique ImageID number which you can use by selecting the Insert Geek Image button when posting a new thread. I highly recommend adding the word “original” after the number such that the map can be viewed far more clearly within the thread.

Where possible, particularly with large battles, try and use the combat table of the module as this will help visualize for each player (and any spectators) what the state of a battle may be at any particular time.

How to play:

The second post in this thread is the template I use for the first post of a game. This outlines generally how the game is played for those whom are unsure of how certain aspects work.

I would ask that if someone was to use this as an opening post for their game, that they give the appropriate credit where credit is due.

Updating the Player Resource Page:

From experience, I have found that having a regularly updated, real time post about what each player has, in terms of current combat cards, upgrade cards, available schemes and current objective tally is vital. I feel this lends itself to the players being able to tap into the intricacies of the game and the depth of strategy that it offers.

The third post of this thread will have my template that I use to begin the game. I will use this template as the second post of a game thread I am running. Once players start buying upgrades, then this post is updated to reflect those purchases as they occur so that players know what anyone has at any given time.

To make life easier, I always put all players’ current combat cards at the bottom of each of their lists. This helps when submitting the 5 combat cards to each player at the start of a battle.

Randomizing Combat Cards:

With the player resource section having the correct cards/upgrades at any given time, when combat occurs then the process I use is very simple.

As each race’s combat cards are the last 5 cards of their section, I go to edit the player's resource post to bring up the code of the post. I find the relevant players section whom is in a combat and copy the last 5 ImageID entries, being the race's combat cards.

I then twice paste these 5 ImageID's into the website https://www.random.org/lists/

Essentially there are now 10 lines of ImageID’s, representing a players combat deck.

Select the randomize button and with the resulting webpage, copy the top 5 lines of ImageID’s into a geekmail to that player. I also remove any redundant text that may come about from the randomizer.org website.

Essentially, there should be 5 lines of ImageID’s in the post to a player about to start combat. When viewed/previewed, it will show the 5 cards that the player is receiving for that combat.

I highly recommend that you include the word “medium” after each ImageID as it will appear far more clearly for the player to see and read.

Randomizing the Event Cards:

The fourth post of this thread is the complete listing of all 8 event cards for the 4 races (32 cards in total).

When the refresh phase of a round occurs, I use a similar process that I would with dealing combat cards to players.

Once I know how many Event cards a player requires, I will post the list in the website https://www.random.org/lists/

It is important, however, to remove from the list any event card that a player may have as their active scheme as this card is not in the event deck but is instead on their player mat.

With the list complete, select the randomize button and then send the ImageID’s of cards to the player with a geekmail.

Once again, ensure that each ImageID has the word “medium” after it so that it will be easily legible within the geekmail.

Randomizing the Starting Tiles:

As per similar processes above, I get the ImageID's of the 8 generic tiles and randomize them via https://www.random.org/lists/

The list of the Image ID's can be found in the 5th post of this thread.

Once randomized, and going alphabetically starting with Chaos, I take the top 2 ImageID's and geekmail them to the Chaos player as well as their race specific tile.

Then I take the 3rd and 4th ImageID starting tiles and send them to the Eldar player with their race specific tile.

This process is repeated until every player has 3 tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction:

This is a Play by Forum game of Forbidden Stars, the Fantasy Flight, Warhammer 40k Boardgame.

Thanks must go to Kezerk, aka the Omnissiah, for having the enterprise to develop the tools and structure by which the game can be played on these forums.

Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you wish to be a part of a future game, please post your interest in the waiting list below:

Player Waiting List

If you are concerned or confused about how the game will be played, please refer to;

Forbidden Stars - PBF003 - WAAAAAAAAGH!
Forbidden Stars - PBF005 - For the Emperor
Forbidden Stars - PBF006 - Lure of Chaos
Forbidden Stars - PBF007 - Guilliman's Reckoning

General rules:

1) Whilst the offical rules and FAQ will be in effect at all times, if the mod deems it necessary, the BGG FAQ linked in the Player Resource section will be referenced to officiate any rules discrepancies or ambiguities. Many thanks to all contributors.
2) Where the rules or FAQ does not address an issue, the mod will make a decision based upon a group consensus.
3) I will be using the vassal module created by Kezerk to post the game board and the combat breakdowns. Whilst not compulsory for players, if they wish to use this:
a. Download the Vassal program found here: http://www.vassalengine.org/
b. Download the Forbidden Stars module found here: http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/666157/Forbidden%20S...
c. Running the module with the Vassal program installed will open up the necessary assets that can then be dragged and dropped. If you wish to update and post the map or combat sequence, then I highly encourage you to do so however this is not necessary for the players.
4) Where a mistake has been made in the posted map, please politely inform the group at the earliest convenience in order to avoid confusion.
5) Based upon your faction, can you please use a large header that denotes the race you are playing, preferably in colour. For example:

ELDAR
ORK
CHAOS
SPACE MARINES

6) Once a player has resolved an order, please indicate who is next to play and what is required from them as this will speed up play.
7) Please Use normal text for regular discussions.
8) Please Use italics for politics, strategizing and roleplaying between players (highly encouraged!).
9) Please Use bold text for in-game moves and actions.
10) Please avoid editing your posts. If you feel the need to do so, please use a strikethrough of the previous text and then clearly denote what you have changed.
11) Do not edit posts that contain dice rolls. I will take harsh measures to any that do so that will be up to my discression. There is no need to do it so please don’t do it. If you need to make an amendment to a post that does contain dice rolls, please just make a new post underneath it outlining what you wish to change or clarify.
12) I reserve the right to make rolls for players that do not involve any player making a choice, simply to speed up gameplay.
13) Please ensure that you can check on the thread at least once per day. If you are unable to then please notify the group in a post. Leniency will be shown as long as you are upfront in advance. If you will be unable to check on the thread for an extended period of time, I may have to find a replacement player but this will be a last resort.
14) Private messages / Geekmails / etc. between players are not allowed, thus forcing all communication to be posted publicly in the thread. Diplomacy and strategizing is encouraged between players as long as it is in an open post in the game thread. Lying is allowed so lie as much as you want!
15) Combat cards will be determined by the moderator using random.org's list randomizer and then Geekmailed to the combatants involved.
16) Races will be determined using Geekrolls. Feel free to exchange houses as long as both players agree.

Setting up the game board:

1) Once the player order and race selection is finalised, the mod will geek mail the 3 tiles (with both sides) that each player starts with.
2) Then the first player will choose which tile and which side (A or B) they wish to place. The first player will then choose which units, if any, they wish to deploy onto planets or voids on that tile. They will also indicate which 2 opposing player objectives they will place and where. It is assumed that the first tile will be played upright, such that the tile identifier will be orientated such that it is in the south east corner (SE).
Quote:
For example (assuming Eldar):
Place tile 2A. Place 1 Wraithguard on the planet with 3 material. Place 1 frigate on the SE void. Place a Space Marine Objective on the planet with the Forge icon and an Ork Objective on the Planet with 3 Material

3) The second player will then choose which tile to place whilst indicating where it is in relation to the first tile. They will then place starting units (if any) and 2 opposing player's objectives.
Quote:
For example (assuming Space Marines):
Place tile 8A to the East of tile 2A. Place 1 Scout on the planet with the prosperity token. Place an Eldar objective on the Planet with the Prosperity icon and an Ork objective on the Planet with 3 material

4) This process will continue following the rules for creating the board (as per page 16 of the Forbidden Stars Learn to play booklet) until the game board is finalised.
5) Once finalised, based upon the orientation of the game board, the mod will outline the vernacular for placing the warp storms.
For example assuming the board is 4 tiles wide by 3 tiles deep (4x3), the top left hand tile will be A1 and the bottom right hand tile will be D3
b. The first player will choose where to place the first warp storm.
Quote:
EG. Place warp storm between B2-C2

c. Once the 4 warp storms have been placed, we will move to placing orders.

Planning Phase:

1) At the start of each planning phase, the mod will Geekmail each player a randomized set of orders and its identifier. An example may be:
Quote:
A Advance
B Dominate
C Advance
D Strategize
E Dominate
F Deploy
G Deploy
H Strategize

2) For each round and each player, the orders and their identifiers will be different such that no pattern can be determined between players.
3) The first player will choose which order to place and where.
Quote:
For example: Place order B on D2

4) This will continue until all players have placed 4 orders for that round.
5) Once completed, we will move to the Operations Phase

Operations Phase:

1) After posting your race header, please indicate your materials and tokens that you have before resolving the upcoming order. This is done using the acronym M/C/F/R which denotes Material/Cache tokens/Forge Tokens/Reinforcement tokens.
Quote:
For example: Pre turn M/C/F/R: 9/0/2/1

a. This indicates that the player has before resolving the order 9 material, 2 forge tokens and 1 reinforcement token.
2) Similarly, when you have resolved your order, add a Post turn M/C/F/R.
3) Beginning with the first player, the player will resolve an available order by posting under their race header.
Quote:
For example:Resolve order on D2: Dominate.

a. As clearly and concisely as possible, step out each decision that you take in relation to resolving that order with each choice on a separate line.
Quote:
For example (assuming Ork):
Resolve on D2: Dominate
Collect Forge Token
Collect Cache Token from Prosperity Icon
Use Ork Spores to place an Ork boy on the planet with the Prosperity icon.

Combat:

1) Once a player has resolved an advance order or other effect that causes 2 opposing factions to be in the same area, combat will begin.
2) The player resolving the advance order, aka the attacker, should indicate what the attacking forces are as well as the defending forces.
3) The attacker should then roll their initial combat dice. This can be done by selecting the “roll” button when preparing your post.
a. In the line below, the “X” should be the number of dice you are rolling.
b. Xcustom6{iid:2620749;iid:2620749;iid:2620749;iid:2620750;iid:2620750;iid:2682722}
Quote:
For example, rolling 4 combat dice would be:
4custom6{iid:2620749;iid:2620749;iid:2620749;iid:2620750;iid:2620750;iid:2682722}

4) You can use this thread: Rolls to test whether you understand how to use the dice rolls before actually posting in the game thread.
5) The defender will then roll their combat dice using the “roll” button as described above.
6) The mod will then geekmail to each combatant their 5 combat cards.
7) Once this is done, the attacker can declare any reinforcement tokens they wish to add to the battle, if any. Once this has been declared, the defender can declare any reinforcement tokens they wish to add to the combat, if any.
8) The defender (and only the defender) should geekmail the mod their combat card, using the following subject line.
a. Forbidden Stars PBF<game #>, Round <round #>, Battle in <area of battle>, <Race>, Execution phase <execution phase #>
Quote:
For example, Forbidden Stars PBF003, Round 3, Battle in B3, Chaos, Execution phase 1

9) In the body of the geekmail, please indicate what card you are submitting.
10) Once the defender has submitted their combat card to the mod, the defender must post in the thread that their card has been submitted and that the attacker can then openly declare in a post their combat card.
11) When declaring your card in the thread, please try and post an image of the card.
a. To do this, first identify the combat cards image number.
b. To find the image number, navigate to the races strategy guide. Each races strategy guide will be available as a link under the Player Resources section.
c. Find the combat card in the initial post and then click on it.
d. In the top left hand corner, will be some text “ImageID:” followed by a 7 digit number. Copy this number (Ctrl+c).
e. When assembling your post, select “Insert Geek Image” then paste (Ctrl+v) the 7 digit number into the prompt. Also add the word "medium" after the 7 digit number but without the quotation marks. Then select ok.
12) When declaring a combat card in the game thread, please also post:
a. A resolution of each effect on a single line that you trigger from the combat card.
b. A summary of your Bolters/Shield/Morale using the acronym B/S/M. This includes all bolter/shield tokens for that execution round as well as any accumulated icons from combat cards played during previous execution phases. This will help speed up play as well as promote transparency.
13) When the attacker has posted their combat card, the defender should post their combat card. Then either participants or the mod can determine any damage that may be taken and then combatants can declare routed or destroyed units. This will proceed until the combat is resolved by all parties and any retreating units are declared by the defeated player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player Resources
Player Resources:

1) The game will follow the game rules and FAQ which can be downloaded here: Fantasy Flight Forbidden Stars Home Page
2) BGG users FAQ and errata
3) The excellent strategy guides and card images can be found for each race below:

Chaos Space Marines
Eldar
Orks
Space Marines

Many thanks to umbralAeronaut for creating these:
umbral Aeronaut
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Confirmed Players:

Total faction pieces, Current Combat Cards, Active Schemes and Order Upgrades:

CHAOS SPACE MARINES:

Current Objectives scored: 0

Total faction pieces:
9 Cultists
3 Iconoclast Destroyers
6 Chaos Space Marines
3 Helbrutes
3 Repulsive Grand Cruisers
3 Chaos Reaver Titans

ELDAR:

Total faction pieces:
6 Aspect Warriors
6 Hellebore Frigates
3 Wraithguard
3 Falcons
3 Void Stalkers
3 Warlock Titans

ORKS

Total faction pieces:
9 Ork Boyz
3 Onslaught Attack Ships
6 Nobz
3 Battlewagons
3 Kill Kroozers
3 Gargants

SPACE MARINES

Total faction pieces:
6 Scouts
3 Strike Cruisers
6 Space Marines
6 Land Raiders
3 Battle Barges
3 Warlord Titans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Stars EVENT CARD LIST

SPACE MARINES

--------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAOS

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ELDAR

ORKS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Stars Starting Tiles
Forbidden Stars Starting Tiles

Tiles to be randomized and dealt to players:

CHAOS starting tile:

ELDAR starting tile:

ORK starting tile:

SPACE MARINE starting tile:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CHAOS SPACE MARINES:

ELDAR:

ORKS

SPACE MARINES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.