Subject: Has anyone played the game with 12 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nandin Dira
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of using this game to play with 12 players. Also, I will be playing mostly with people who are not that familiar with board games. Is this a good game for it? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petros Lee
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have!

I'd suggest playing without character cards first, allowing your large group to become accustomed to the different actions they can take, along with the wine-taster variant.

After that hurdle, you should be good to go

It's a really funny atmosphere with 12 people because everyone starts losing track of which cup has what inside of it so sometimes it becomes less about killing your target and more about simply trying to survive the round.

It's also great having the wine-tasters in there because of the possibility he/she is a traitor telling you that your cup is safe.

I also recommend playing with a lazy susan with large groups because it makes rotating the cups just SO much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nandin Dira
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Peteros wrote:
I have!

I'd suggest playing without character cards first, allowing your large group to become accustomed to the different actions they can take, along with the wine-taster variant.

It's a really funny atmosphere with 12 people because everyone starts losing track of which cup has what inside of it so sometimes it becomes less about killing your target and more about simply trying to survive the round.

It's also great having the wine-tasters in there because of the possibility he/she is a traitor telling you that your cup is safe.

I also recommend playing with a lazy susan with large groups because it makes rotating the cups just SO much easier.

Fantastic! Thanks for a great response, Petros. This is exactly what I was hoping for. It does sound like it'll be a hilarious game with that number of player. How long did the game last for 12 people, if you don't mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petros Lee
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nandin wrote:
Peteros wrote:
I have!

Fantastic! Thanks for a great response, Petros. This is exactly what I was hoping for. It does sound like it'll be a hilarious game with that number of player. How long did the game last for 12 people, if you don't mind?

Not including teaching time, in my personal experience, I had a group of relatively fast learners, so the game actually took about 30 minutes or so, just like it says on the box!

Depending on your players and whether they're playing to win or playing just for fun, their turns will take longer or shorter. But all in all, it's a pretty short game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nandin Dira
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Peteros wrote:
Nandin wrote:
Peteros wrote:
I have!

Not including teaching time, in my personal experience, I had a group of relatively fast learners, so the game actually took about 30 minutes or so, just like it says on the box!

Depending on your players and whether they're playing to win or playing just for fun, their turns will take longer or shorter. But all in all, it's a pretty short game

Great! I'll definitely try this then Thank you so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Sousa
msg tools
Peteros wrote:
[...] I'd suggest playing without character cards first, allowing your large group to become accustomed to the different actions they can take, along with the wine-taster variant.
[...]

Great post!

I haven't bought a copy of the game yet and I have 3 questions:

a) How interesting and complex is it without character cards?

b) If you play without character cards does the game become totally language independent (i.e. 100% visual)? I work with Portuguese kids and they don't speak a word of English, so that would be great.

c) I read somewhere that there are only 6 goblets, is this information correct? How can there be 12 players and only 6 goblets?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petros Lee
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey! Thanks for your questions.

a.) I think it's less complex without the character cards and more balanced because everyone simply takes the same actions, but that's not to say that the game is any less interesting!

b.) If you play without character cards, the game is indeed 100% language independent. There are 6 player screens that also act as player aids, and all the actions players can take are conveyed with symbols.

c.) The way the game plays changes a bit in the 7-12 player game. In the standard game there are 6 goblets, one for each player, but in the 7-12 player game, people work in teams of 2 so each team gets 1 goblet. One player will be the noble and the other will be the wine taster. In this variant, only the wine taster can peek into the goblet and not the nobleman. The thing that makes this mechanic interesting is that one of the wine tasters is a traitor and wants their nobleman to die of poisoning. So when a wine taster takes a peek into the goblet in front of them, they might say something like, "it's safe" but the nobleman will be paranoid that their wine taster is lying.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Sousa
msg tools
Peteros wrote:
Hey! Thanks for your questions.

a.) I think it's less complex without the character cards and more balanced because everyone simply takes the same actions, but that's not to say that the game is any less interesting!

b.) If you play without character cards, the game is indeed 100% language independent. There are 6 player screens that also act as player aids, and all the actions players can take are conveyed with symbols.

c.) The way the game plays changes a bit in the 7-12 player game. In the standard game there are 6 goblets, one for each player, but in the 7-12 player game, people work in teams of 2 so each team gets 1 goblet. One player will be the noble and the other will be the wine taster. In this variant, only the wine taster can peek into the goblet and not the nobleman. The thing that makes this mechanic interesting is that one of the wine tasters is a traitor and wants their nobleman to die of poisoning. So when a wine taster takes a peek into the goblet in front of them, they might say something like, "it's safe" but the nobleman will be paranoid that their wine taster is lying.

Hope this helps

Yes, it is a great help. Thank you very much, Peteros.

One more question: If I could get 6 extra goblets (or an extra copy of the game), would I be able to play it with 12 wine tasters simultaneously?

I am really excited about Raise Your Goblets, it looks really fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petros Lee
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
The number of poison, antidote, and wine tokens are catered specifically for 6 individual players and 6 teams of 2, but in theory, if you were to get an extra copy of the game, it is indeed possible to play with 12 individual players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.