Steve Alston
United States
Brevig Mission
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

Right now I'm backing Mythic Battles: Pantheon and getting the Corinthia expansion. The thought just occurred to me that maybe I don't need to buy it if there isn't any value to the pieces. I could create my own scenarios, but it could be a really time-consuming process if we don't know the point value of the characters. I would really love some information on this. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no point values. I imagine this is because scenario setup makes it impossible to value any one piece one way.

- Each character can have different equipment or spells.

- The objective changes what is good (speed, combat ability, manipulation?)

- The map changes how useful abilities are (is there water, breakable walls, etc?)

- The number of turns in the scenario changes what approaches work well and therefore which character is best.

- The types of enemies, size of their groups, their initial placement... all this can affect what is good.

Each of those things can affect each other as well! You have to come up with a scenario idea, then try it and test it. Modify as needed based on playtesting,

This is not a skirmish game, where buying forces with points makes more sense because the objectives are fixed and understood from game to game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Dekaise
Belgium
Bruxelles
Belgique
flag msg tools
Yes there is one semi-official point system :

But as Max Maloney said it's not a skirmish game, this chart is only a reference for adapting existing scenarios or creating new ones. You'll have to take the objectives, the maps and the special rules into account to have an balanced scenario, not only the base value of the units

tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tet2brick wrote:

But as Max Maloney said it's not a skirmish game, this chart is only a reference for adapting existing scenarios or creating new ones. You'll have to take the objectives, the maps and the special rules into account to have an balanced scenario, not only the base value of the units

Do you have a link to the discussion related to the chart? I would love to get some specifics related to those tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A points system is almost worthless as character worth is dependent on scenario, if you swapped out Shevatus for a heavy-duty fighter, the heroes will not win if the mission entails any sneaking around and thievery. Just swap out for a similar model if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games are balanced by many many plays. This is one of them. Get a general idea of what you want the scenario to be and then playlets the heck out of it with your friends (changing places occasionally). If you discover an imbalance you do not like, make a change and play it a bunch more. Rinse and repeat until you are satisfied. Then turn it over to the public, stating that it is still in playlets form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Mishap wrote:
A points system is almost worthless as character worth is dependent on scenario, if you swapped out Shevatus for a heavy-duty fighter, the heroes will not win if the mission entails any sneaking around and thievery. Just swap out for a similar model if need be.

Pretty much this. Point systems are only good for skirmish modes, scenario swapping is best based on skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Alston
United States
Brevig Mission
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the feedback guys. I know that creating a point system would be more applicable in a skirmish mode. I ask for a couple of reasons.

Reason 1--I'm just curious, lame reason, but its honest.

Reason 2--I don't have a lot of time to invest in the Conan game (I really like the theme and character, though). I really enjoy it, but I rarely have more than 2 people total playing at any given time. I can't really go to a FLGS because I live about 700 miles from the nearest one (I live in Brevig Mission, AK-look it up!).

Reason 3--I think I mentioned this, but I bought the Corinthia expansion for Mythic Battles. For some reason, I just assumed that they would work in any scenario--but now that I think about that, I don't think that is the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Alston
United States
Brevig Mission
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tet2brick wrote:

This is really helpful, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve_Alst0n wrote:
Reason 2--I don't have a lot of time to invest in the Conan game (I really like the theme and character, though). I really enjoy it, but I rarely have more than 2 people total playing at any given time.

IMO the easiest way is that one of the players plays several Heroes. It's not that hard.
With 2 heroes you can directly play the two 3-player scenarios from the core box.
There are also several fan-made scenarios for 2-p or 3-p (here on BGG and on the-overlord.com).
You can also try to play the 4-players scenarios with only 2 heroes, by reducing the OL's starting gems and recovery rate, and maybe the size of his squads (this will require some trial & error to get the right balance though!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Pynnönen
msg tools
Try the survival mode posted on this forum or implement parts of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've created a point system for all minis, spells and equipment cards, but it was made for skirmish mode purposes (if you're interested, it's in the variants section). Creating one for scenarios seems like it would be next to impossible, due to skills having different levels of importance in different levels. Lockpicking f.e. is pretty much useless in most scenarios, but borderline OP in others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I recall during the Conan KS campaign, regarding the extras and add-ons, that Monolith promised there would be information given on how to swap these figures into other scenarios. The implication was that there would not necessarily be figures that were limited to having only one scenario designed for it. I'm not sure if swapping figures was to be specifically for the Overlord, but I am certain they made this promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
So, I recall during the Conan KS campaign, regarding the extras and add-ons, that Monolith promised there would be information given on how to swap these figures into other scenarios. The implication was that there would not necessarily be figures that were limited to having only one scenario designed for it. I'm not sure if swapping figures was to be specifically for the Overlord, but I am certain they made this promise.
There are a couple of threads around here that address this already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:

Promise or not, they've recently confirmed there won't be a swap system of any kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not arguing about a promise, but I was not part of the KS and have developed a healthy skepticism of "promised" so I would respectfully request a bit of clarification:

Did Monolith actually give an unqualified promise that there would be a swap system? Was it perhaps more along the lines of them saying that they would try to include swap information for exclusives or add-ons? I have seen some of the latter in various scenarios, although I must admit I do not recall at the moment if those were official scenarios or not...

Again, I am not saying anyone is wrong that they remember it as a promise, but I have seen too many times when a company says "we hope to do X" or "we will do X if there is enough interest" or something else and then when it does not happen they are told they "promised" to so something. Qualifiers often get forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't recall them making that promise. On the contrary I think they have actually stated the opposite on more than one occasion. If I have time I may go back through the comments but probably not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
On the campaign page, look under the Sabretooth Tiger and Baal Pteor. It says they will come with a scenario and integration instructions.
I didn't look at all the add-ons, so I'm not sure how many stated the integration promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, many of the add-ons (Baal Pteor, Sabertooth Tiger, Crossbowmen, Black Ones) have a blurb on the main campaign page that says something along the lines of "comes with his own scenario as well as guidelines for integrating him into others." I'd rather not search through 50k comments to find more specifics on what was said, but I expect that some research into the comments of the Updates might be more fruitful.

In any case, all of the above are Overlord pieces, so I believe there would be easier, more balanced methods of swapping them out than would be possible for heroes. Swapping heroes would depend on having certain skill sets in order to have a fair chance at beating a particular scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
On the campaign page, look under the Sabretooth Tiger and Baal Pteor. It says they will come with a scenario and integration instructions.
I didn't look at all the add-ons, so I'm not sure how many stated the integration promise.

Thanks for pointing that out. I appreciate it.

As for the thread topic, I am not sure "integration instructions" is the same as "promised swap system", but that does point to some sort of at least some notes in scenarios about swapping in the KS content.

I do understand wanting to get to use the stuff you bought. In a system where there is no framework for player generated scenarios the only other option is trial-and-error scenario creation, and that can be disappointing.

There are scenarios coming out now that include the models you mentions, so some of the promised support is materializing. Hopefully the rest will show up eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.