Subject: Replayability with different groups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dario odde
Italy
Scalenghe (TO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on getting Gloomhaven, the problem is i'd like to play it with two different group of people.
I know you can play scenarios, but I mean the campaign.
Do you think it's feasible?
I'm thinking printing a second map and possibly even printing stickers on sticker paper. Would that suffice?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Magni
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
It's an easy to do task, yeah printing map and stickers will be more than enough, u can also print the campaign tracker that you find in files section, that alone would be enough to keep track of multiple campaigns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a bit more complex than it seems.

There are only four attack decks. As such, every player will be rebuilding this deck when they get their character. Annoying but not impossible.

The real problem comes when players want to enhance their cards. This require stickers to be placed on the cards. To get around that, you might have to sleeve all the character cards and put stickers on them. And then because those cards may be transferred to another player (who plays the same character) they will have to come out of the sleeve (and somebody will have to remember which card was enhanced.

It's kinda a pain. But i hope you can make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
I think it's a bit more complex than it seems.

There are only four attack decks. As such, every player will be rebuilding this deck when they get their character. Annoying but not impossible.

The real problem comes when players want to enhance their cards. This require stickers to be placed on the cards. To get around that, you might have to sleeve all the character cards and put stickers on them. And then because those cards may be transferred to another player (who plays the same character) they will have to come out of the sleeve (and somebody will have to remember which card was enhanced.

It's kinda a pain. But i hope you can make it work.

It's not that bad. If you really wanted to avoid those stickers on the cards/sleeves, there are at least two good options: (1) don't do enhancements or (2) print out a new version of the card. For (2), the Files for creation were released, so you could build a modified version of a card with the enhancement, print it on regular paper, cut it, and slip it into a sleeve with the original card underneath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Calw
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You'd also have to keep track of the separate City and Road Events decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Imperium - coming sometime
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing it - it's definitely possible, and you don't even need a map/stickers, you can track the unlocks and status with one of the campaign logs in the file section.

It's a bit of a pain resetting the town/city deck (taking out stuff that the party hasn't added, putting back stuff that was removed), and a pain resetting the attack modifier deck for each player (as you get tick marks chances are it will be changed), but all manageable - just track the game status on paper (using the logs).

In fact you could get both parties doing that, rather than have one using the stickers etc, and the other having to manage without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
odde wrote:
I'm planning on getting Gloomhaven, the problem is i'd like to play it with two different group of people.
I know you can play scenarios, but I mean the campaign.
Do you think it's feasible?
I'm thinking printing a second map and possibly even printing stickers on sticker paper. Would that suffice?

thanks

So you can do it, for the most part it's pretty straightforward. There a few fiddly bits though (bookkeeping and sorting) that you'll want to take care of in between sessions with different groups.

The shop: Each party's shop is going to end up with a unique mix of items, so you'll need to keep track of which items are available to each party and remove/add the item cards as necessary.

Road and City events: Basically the same as the shop. Cards will get added or removed from the event decks often, and you'll need to keep track of that too.

Road and City events part 2: Also, some event cards go back to the bottom of their respective decks. You'll need to keep track of which events are at the bottom of each deck for each party, and in what order. Occasionally the decks do get shuffled though, so what's at the bottom will reset when that happens, so be sure to keep track of that too.

(Honestly, if I were doing this, I'd probably pick up 4 packs of playing cards [2 for each group] and number them on their faces, then shuffle those up and use them as proxies. Much less bookkeeping. Then use the City/Road cards themselves as a reference)

Random scenario deck: Pretty easy. Just keeping track of who has what cards left to pull. This one will be hard (but not impossible) to mess up.

Personal quests: you'll need to keep track separately which personal quests have been completed and removed from the deck for each party.

Everything else mostly takes care of itself if you have a 2nd map, stickers and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you swap characters in and out in the same campaign at will?

We did this for our mission two. One of our players couldn't make it (didn't want to make it actually), and we wanted to try different classes anyways. Instead of starting a new campaign, we just let the original 3 heroes rest in town and "rolled up" 2 new heroes to take on the second mission. As far as we could tell, this was legal by the rules.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:

We did this for our mission two. One of our players couldn't make it (didn't want to make it actually), and we wanted to try different classes anyways. Instead of starting a new campaign, we just let the original 3 heroes rest in town and "rolled up" 2 new heroes to take on the second mission. As far as we could tell, this was legal by the rules.

-shnar

If they were part of the same party, then yup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Well, by this I mean every time you play Gloomhaven, you have the same campaign, even if you choose to play with all sorts of different players.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:
alphasquid wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Well, by this I mean every time you play Gloomhaven, you have the same campaign, even if you choose to play with all sorts of different players.

-shnar

Well, per the rules, scenario 2 can only be undertaken in campaign mode by the same party that completed scenario 1 in campaign mode. It can be different characters, but needs to be the zame party.

I dont think it breaks the game if a different party does scenario 2, but it doesn't quite follow the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
alphasquid wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

-shnar

Right, I think David is referring to the party achievements. But what you're saying works. That's why storywise my party is a mercenary company that keeps sending adventures to deal with its interests in Gloomhaven.

Makes it easy for me thematically to keep using the same party for any number of heroes.

Although I did branch off into a separate party when I wanted to do a different reputation direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
mournful wrote:
Although I did branch off into a separate party when I wanted to do a different reputation direction.

A competing mercenary company?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dario odde
Italy
Scalenghe (TO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a lot of work, but the alternative is buy two copies, so I'll give it a try.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.