Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two days ago I played a solitaire game of BIOS: Genesis, and Player Blue was able to create a flat worm! (So exciting!)

Tonight I just finished playing BIOS: Megafauna. Player Blue became Player Red and was a runaway success with their two-tooth reptiles becoming amphibious, then marine, then expanding back to a new amphibious species. Player White played a five-tooth mammal, but struggled with extinction after extinction due to vanishing biomes caused by changes in greenouse levels, several Milankovitch cycles and a catastrophe.

Player White was hopeless and tried over and over to find a niche. But was surrounded by water, complicated by the Atlantic Rift.

The second to last card in the Tertiary deck revealed a level 4 catastrophe, and it wiped the board! In the end, both players had just one animal on the board--Red had a 22 kg insect eating reptile in the arctic and White had a 2-ton marine horse! (I LOVE THIS GAME!)

Red won with 22 points and 5 genes. White had 18 points and 0 genes.

Can anyone suggest how to link this to a game of Neanderthal?

I'd like to play that next, then Greenland. Then I will be stuck trying to link that to High Frontier somehow. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how to go from a 22 kg insect eating arctic lizard to Archaic Man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't be easy, but the way that American Megafauna linked to Origins was to have brain maps of animal species.

So something similar adapted for Neanderthal should be fine. You'd probably want some different sexual strategies as well (Oviparity? I could see that being similar enough to promiscuous though).

Obviously you can already link BIOS:Megafauna to Origins: How We Became Human (or play them both on the same board as BIOS: Origins), but I appreciate that's not your question.

There's a pretty large gap between Greenland and High Frontier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
I would just think outside of the box a bit....

Insect eaters? Give them the grazing ability.
2 tons? Maybe that protects them from Blizzards? Or maybe from frostbite because of their blubber?
Obviously being marine will help later in Greenland.

Other than that the one time I did it with my penguin-people, I just imagined that my creatures had evolved fairly human-like (they still had beaks and such, but had opposable thumbs, etc.). Just a slight change here and there could give them an edge here or there because of their divergent evolutionary paths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
There's a pretty large gap between Greenland and High Frontier.

Yeah. There are some big gaps in the time line. I got the living rules for Origins: How we became human, and I see a lot of of Neanderthal in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, absolutely - you can clearly see the lineage of both Greenland and Neanderthal in Origins.

Origins itself is a hugely ambitious and fascinating game, but it's also something of a mess. It's nowhere near as tight and competitive as any of the other games, and there are some questionable design decisions.

Neanderthal is on a whole different level in terms of sophistication... hopefully when BIOS:origins (the real one) happens it will be on the same kind of level.

Origins always had some issues translating to High Frontier - there's not a lot of mechanical similarity to carry over, and the broad strokes that define HF don't really match well with a late game Origins side.

Still, I'm really keen on doing the whole lot. One of my favourite Interstellar strategies is to launch an ultralight seed ship, and try to grow life in-situ from microbial origins. I really like the symmetry that's implied with that and wrapping back around to Genesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is very cool, Dom!

I dont' have Interstellar, but have played close 30 games of High Frontier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you Kickstartered 3rd ed, Interstellar will be in the box, and it's great.

My first starship was a lean, capable hero-machine, with an elite crew, capable of dealing with all problems swiftly, with considerable panache and presumably fantastic trousers...

...then they slowly all died of old age, accidents and cancer and their idiot kids took over the ship. None of which had any interest or ability in minor things like flying a spaceship...

The end result was that the ship was forced to dive directly into a couple of stars to try to slow down, it managed to make the first one, but the second destroyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was #365.

Unfortunately I will not be receiving a copy of the game now and will likely stick with 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
The end result was that the ship was forced to dive directly into a couple of stars to try to slow down, it managed to make the first one, but the second destroyed it.

I love the narrative that develops from each of these games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.