Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » Rules

Subject: The chimp and the code. Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frederick
South Africa
flag msg tools
We always played with all the rules and all the modules. However, Saturday we played the Chimp and the code Raxxon scenario. It looks nice and well thought trough. Until we reached objective R2. The rule book says the following: "The next section should be read... It should be read and followed by the player with the fewest survivors in their following..."
Then: "Place a survivor you control at Raxxon"
Our interpretation was that you only referred to the player with the fewest members. In our case the member with the least amount of survivors was the last player for the round. This cause problems as the objective was to place a dice by every player on raxxon in one round. We were 4 players. Meaning after blue was placed there were only two open spots. And the player contoling the chimp and the fewest survivors could not move it in time for player 3 to place his survivor. Players can only move their survivors once to place a dice, but not again to make space.Thus player 2 had to attack blue (she already had one wound) 2 times to kill it so that there was space. We lost in the next player's turn.

So my question. The place a survivor you contol instruction. Was that for all of us? Or was our interpretation correct and we had just bad luck with the last player having the least amount of followers?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SOPBEEN12 wrote:
We always played with all the rules and all the modules. However, Saturday we played the Chimp and the code Raxxon scenario. It looks nice and well thought trough. Until we reached objective R2. The rule book says the following: "The next section should be read... It should be read and followed by the player with the fewest survivors in their following..."
Then: "Place a survivor you control at Raxxon"
Our interpretation was that you only referred to the player with the fewest members. In our case the member with the least amount of survivors was the last player for the round. This cause problems as the objective was to place a dice by every player on raxxon in one round. We were 4 players. Meaning after blue was placed there were only two open spots. And the player contoling the chimp and the fewest survivors could not move it in time for player 3 to place his survivor. Players can only move their survivors once to place a dice, but not again to make space.Thus player 2 had to attack blue (she already had one wound) 2 times to kill it so that there was space. We lost in the next player's turn.

So my question. The place a survivor you contol instruction. Was that for all of us? Or was our interpretation correct and we had just bad luck with the last player having the least amount of followers?


You only place one survivor from the player with the fewest survivors. The objective is to get the required number of dice, not one from each player. So not every player has to visit that location. Those who do are required to sacrifice some of their dice to meet the objective.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick
South Africa
flag msg tools
braceletwinner wrote:

You only place one survivor from the player with the fewest survivors. The objective is to get the required number of dice, not one from each player. So not every player has to visit that location. Those who do are required to sacrifice some of their dice to meet the objective.


Thank you. That makes sense. Follow-up questions.

Just to confirm the wording of the objective card. Its seems that it may imply that (and forgive me if I am over thinking this) you can place only 1 die for a survivor. "During their turn, players may choose a survivor they contol at Raxxon except blue and spend an action die equal to or higher than the attack value of that survivor to place a die on Raxxon."

1. A. Does this mean I can only place 1 die if I only have one survivor at Raxxon? And to place my second one I need to move a second survivor into the space to place the second die. B. Or can I just add any number of dice as long as they are higher or equal to my attack value and I have a survivor at Raxxon. I suspect B as there would be a similar result as in my first post. May I mention that in our game the person with the fewest survivors was also the last player for that round and only had 1 survivor other then Blue. (Badluck if not B or we were moronic and B was relevant.)

2. Why would they mention in the rules the following: "Add Blue’s survivor card to your following and place her standee at Raxxon. (If there isn’t enough room for her move a survivor of the first player’s choice back to the colony. This does not count as move.)"
There would only be one survivor plus blue at raxxon with 2 open spaces if we still need to move in survivors, thus how can you run out of space. Either I am dumbass or reading to much into this, but it seem a bit odd.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SOPBEEN12 wrote:
braceletwinner wrote:

You only place one survivor from the player with the fewest survivors. The objective is to get the required number of dice, not one from each player. So not every player has to visit that location. Those who do are required to sacrifice some of their dice to meet the objective.


Thank you. That makes sense. Follow-up questions.

Just to confirm the wording of the objective card. Its seems that it may imply that (and forgive me if I am over thinking this) you can place only 1 die for a survivor. "During their turn, players may choose a survivor they contol at Raxxon except blue and spend an action die equal to or higher than the attack value of that survivor to place a die on Raxxon."

1. A. Does this mean I can only place 1 die if I only have one survivor at Raxxon? And to place my second one I need to move a second survivor into the space to place the second die. B. Or can I just add any number of dice as long as they are higher or equal to my attack value and I have a survivor at Raxxon. I suspect B as there would be a similar result as in my first post. May I mention that in our game the person with the fewest survivors was also the last player for that round and only had 1 survivor other then Blue. (Badluck if not B or we were moronic and B was relevant.)

2. Why would they mention in the rules the following: "Add Blue’s survivor card to your following and place her standee at Raxxon. (If there isn’t enough room for her move a survivor of the first player’s choice back to the colony. This does not count as move.)"
There would only be one survivor plus blue at raxxon with 2 open spaces if we still need to move in survivors, thus how can you run out of space. Either I am dumbass or reading to much into this, but it seem a bit odd.


1. No, B.
2. You can run out of space (think of a five player game), so you have to be able to put more than one die per player/survivor there. I think this is partly to promote teamwork. Players must agree who will move there and sacrifice some dice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick
South Africa
flag msg tools
braceletwinner wrote:


1. No, B.


Sweet. Thank you. You confirmed what we also thought.

braceletwinner wrote:


2. You can run out of space (think of a five player game), so you have to be able to put more than one die per player/survivor there. I think this is partly to promote teamwork. Players must agree who will move there and sacrifice some dice.


I think you may have misunderstood what I ask here. Obviously you will start to run out of space immediately after you start to move survivors into the Raxxon space. You really cleared it up and we are really greatfull.

Question 2 was actually about something else.
I looked at the rules again and I was wondering about why would you be able to move blue if the objective card says you cant. Seems that the rules are a bit contraditory.
Eg.2. Why would they mention in the rules the following: "Add Blue’s survivor card to your following and place her standee at Raxxon. (If there isn’t enough room for her move a survivor of the first player’s choice back to the colony. This does not count as move.)" Thus, start of this senario before other survivors where moved in there will be two open spaces. (The player with the fewest survivor's survivor and blue). You understand my logic? Lol. But it is cool
We played the scenario again and won. Thank you loads.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SOPBEEN12 wrote:
braceletwinner wrote:


1. No, B.


Sweet. Thank you. You confirmed what we also thought.

braceletwinner wrote:


2. You can run out of space (think of a five player game), so you have to be able to put more than one die per player/survivor there. I think this is partly to promote teamwork. Players must agree who will move there and sacrifice some dice.


I think you may have misunderstood what I ask here. Obviously you will start to run out of space immediately after you start to move survivors into the Raxxon space. You really cleared it up and we are really greatfull.

Question 2 was actually about something else.
I looked at the rules again and I was wondering about why would you be able to move blue if the objective card says you cant. Seems that the rules are a bit contraditory.
Eg.2. Why would they mention in the rules the following: "Add Blue’s survivor card to your following and place her standee at Raxxon. (If there isn’t enough room for her move a survivor of the first player’s choice back to the colony. This does not count as move.)" Thus, start of this senario before other survivors where moved in there will be two open spaces. (The player with the fewest survivor's survivor and blue). You understand my logic? Lol. But it is cool
We played the scenario again and won. Thank you loads.


I understood. There are only two spaces for other players' survivors at the beginning of the turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SOPBEEN12 wrote:
braceletwinner wrote:


1. No, B.


Sweet. Thank you. You confirmed what we also thought.

braceletwinner wrote:


2. You can run out of space (think of a five player game), so you have to be able to put more than one die per player/survivor there. I think this is partly to promote teamwork. Players must agree who will move there and sacrifice some dice.


I think you may have misunderstood what I ask here. Obviously you will start to run out of space immediately after you start to move survivors into the Raxxon space. You really cleared it up and we are really greatfull.

Question 2 was actually about something else.
I looked at the rules again and I was wondering about why would you be able to move blue if the objective card says you cant. Seems that the rules are a bit contraditory.
Eg.2. Why would they mention in the rules the following: "Add Blue’s survivor card to your following and place her standee at Raxxon. (If there isn’t enough room for her move a survivor of the first player’s choice back to the colony. This does not count as move.)" Thus, start of this senario before other survivors where moved in there will be two open spaces. (The player with the fewest survivor's survivor and blue). You understand my logic? Lol. But it is cool
We played the scenario again and won. Thank you loads.


We had the same question, too. Survivors are not allowed to even go to Raxxon until a certain task is completed. The first survivor that goes to Raxxon gets Blue, so it would be impossible for the other survivor spaces at Raxxon to be occupied at that time. It seems weird to say "if there isn't enough room" because it's impossible for other survivors to even be there at that time.

But we just ignored that line and played it out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick
South Africa
flag msg tools

braceletwinner wrote:


I understood. There are only two spaces for other players' survivors at the beginning of the turn.


Lol. I got that you got that. Lol. But why write it in the scenario if it have no purpose. Hahahahahahahahaha. Pulling hair. (Not really)
The dangers of over thinking. Thanks again.

randomlife wrote:

We had the same question, too. Survivors are not allowed to even go to Raxxon until a certain task is completed. The first survivor that goes to Raxxon gets Blue, so it would be impossible for the other survivor spaces at Raxxon to be occupied at that time. It seems weird to say "if there isn't enough room" because it's impossible for other survivors to even be there at that time.

But we just ignored that line and played it out


Jip. Exactly. We had a chuckle about making sense of that one line. It caused a debate that lasted way to long. It does sound bad but actually great fun. We ended ignoring it as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.