Subject: Your experience with large level gap in the party rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow Gloomhaven residence,

I had to retire 2 of my beloved characters this weekend and while I'm missing them quiet a bit, I was also excited to try out some new classes.

My new characters started at level 3 acoording to Gloomhaven's prosperity level and they now join my Level 7 Spellweaver (5 xp from level 8 now) that is struggeling on the finish line of her lifegoal and in addition is somewhat of a XP machine, always ahead of her two retired collegues. For compensating her lifegoal struggles she in addition also bought a ton of stuff to equip herself. (Lifegoal spoilers):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Her lifegoal is to kill 20 Vermlings and she sits at 19, however since 5 or 6 missions I've yet to find some more of those - I'm trying to not replay scenarios whenever possible, so she'll have to find new ones

I went on my first mission with those 3 at the suggested half average level (with an average level of 2,1... they just qualify for the next difficulty) and let's say having two new classes in there I wasn't all too famliar with yet, didn't help, but yes, I got beaten pretty badly.
But something else stood out to me: While the Spellweaver of course had also a tough time without her seasoned companions, she did much better when it came to looting, leveling and battlegoals (which in the end didn't matter because they failed anyway), which somewhat increased the gap even further.

Next mission again I was really struggeling and lost once more and I was considering dropping the difficulty because it just seemed a bit hard on those two newcomers, but instead I send them to the mission on their own without the Spellwaever and the difficulty adjusted accordingly and it actually went pretty good.

I'm now wondering if I should have them prove themselves a little, before the Spellweaver agrees to join them again (again lifegoal spoilers: )
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Unless they find her a vermling, I guess
, or if I should just keep trying as I enjoy running 3 characters.

It's also not much really a complaint I have, but I was just wondering what other people's experience have been with characters that are quiet a bit apart in levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My GF and I will run into a similar situation in a few sessions.

Our two characters (Brute and Mindthief) are both level 4 at the moment and her Brute will ebentually retire soon, while my Mindthief won't for the forseeable future (I'm really unlucky with my life goal progress).

What makes matters worse is that Gloomhavens' prosperity is still at level 1, so my GF's new character will eventually start at level 1 while my Mindthief will be level 4+.

I'm really interested to see how this will work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that the difficulty is explicitly a suggestion. There's really no shame in just taking it down a notch temporarily, to accomodate new characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Feeley
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I too had a very similar experience with the Spellweaver in my party. I had just retired my high level Cragheart and started a new character at level 2 according to Gloomhaven's prosperity. The Spellweaver was level 8 so we were playing level 3 monsters in a two person game. It was very challenging for my new character, but I tried to avoid monsters and focused on looting coins after the Spellweaver killed things even though my new character was melee focused. We only had this happen for two scenarios before the Spellweaver retired.

A large level gap seems balanced, but you have to change your tactics a lot. The higher level character will have an easier time dispatching monsters and taking hits while the lower level character should focus on support and looting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had this same experience. What we did was send the higher level character on a brief hiatus and created a new character to join the party which brought things in line until they caught up a bit. Then brought the other one back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a very specific problem of mine might simply have been the 3 party setup and 2 people basically starting completly fresh at the same time.
I can see one higher level character helping a lower level through a harder dungeon, but with 2 newbies and 1 higher level it seemed a bit harsher as more than half of the party are sort of "underleveled" on their own and it was tough for the Spellweaver to look after both of them. (Basically like babysitting twins, if you ever did that, much more intense than a single kid )

I would actually expect the 2 player average to maybe work out a bit better and same with a 3 person party where one character is ahead, one fresh and one sort of in between.

But in the end, yes, the great thing about Gloomhaven is that difficulty is somewhat "fluid" and you can adjust accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Garou wrote:
Keep in mind that the difficulty is explicitly a suggestion. There's really no shame in just taking it down a notch temporarily, to accomodate new characters.

This seems like the best solution. Especially if the high level member of the party has as little HP as a Spellweaver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hansen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Spellweaver tank for the win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.