Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Shadowrun: Hostile Takeover» Forums » News

Subject: Game revived? (under a new name probably) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This article on ICv2 talks about a new "Shadowrun: The Board Game", and it sounds like it's a redesign of Hostile Takeover.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I hope so. They way they have been handling Shadowrun makes me feel like I am in an abusive relationship.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The new game doesn't sound anything like the original description for Hostile Takeover.

Shadowrun: The Board Game (2017) wrote:
Shadowrun: The Board Game is the result of a new design after an initial design was rejected, Coleman explained. “We now have the game I want,” he said. The release, originally planned for 2014 (see "Catalyst"s Ambitious Plans for 'The Year of Shadowrun'"), is now slated for Gen Con.

Coleman described the play. "You build a team, you level up your runners, you get them gear, you cyber them up, whatever it’s going to take," he said. "You go on missions, you get money, so you can go on the mission to win the overall game."

- http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/36988/catalyst-plans-two-...


Shadowrun: Hostile Takeover (2013) wrote:
The Euro-style Shadowrun: Hostile Takeover board game, which is due in the spring of 2014, features intrigue, shifting alliances, and secretive schemes as players assume the roles of the leaders of megacorporations attempting to assert dominance over the city of Seattle.

- http://icv2.com/articles/games/view/24983/catalysts-ambitiou...


Personally, I loved the idea of Shadowrun: Hostile Takeover. It sounded like a Shadowrun version of Lords Of Waterdeep, which could be awesome. Shadowrun: The Boardgame sounds a lot like Shadowrun: Crossfire, which was utter crap.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octarine8 wrote:
Shadowrun: The Boardgame sounds a lot like Shadowrun: Crossfire, which was utter crap.


oooo... See, I hate to inform you of this, but this is flat out wrong. SR:CF is one of my favorite games of all time. It redeemed deck builders in my mind.

It has some rough edges and a learning curve, but is far from "utter crap".

Shadowrun the board game sounds like they want to condense the feel of the recent computer games into a board game. All of them are based around leveling up through minor missions while progressing along a story that then has a climactic final mission.

And I would play that because I dig those computer games.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm utterly mad about the wait as I preordered this game over a year ago with no news during the entire time (MM won't let me out of it). So hopefully this means it is finally happening. I just hope it's not disappointing after all the wait.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octarine8 wrote:
Personally, I loved the idea of Shadowrun: Hostile Takeover. It sounded like a Shadowrun version of Lords Of Waterdeep, which could be awesome. Shadowrun: The Boardgame sounds a lot like Shadowrun: Crossfire, which was utter crap.


Yeah that comment is gonna get you same hate on here probably. But Shadowrun Takeover did sound cool and Lords of Waterdeep ish. And Shadowrun Crossfire is utter crap. I tried it like 3 times with 3 different groups and everyone hated it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Octarine8 wrote:
Personally, I loved the idea of Shadowrun: Hostile Takeover. It sounded like a Shadowrun version of Lords Of Waterdeep, which could be awesome. Shadowrun: The Boardgame sounds a lot like Shadowrun: Crossfire, which was utter crap.


Yeah that comment is gonna get you same hate on here probably. But Shadowrun Takeover did sound cool and Lords of Waterdeep ish. And Shadowrun Crossfire is utter crap. I tried it like 3 times with 3 different groups and everyone hated it.

That was my experience as well. However, I know some people absolutely love it. It's quite popular over in the 1-Player Guild.


JBMoby wrote:
...
Shadowrun the board game sounds like they want to condense the feel of the recent computer games into a board game. All of them are based around leveling up through minor missions while progressing along a story that then has a climactic final mission.

And I would play that because I dig those computer games.

If the game turns out like the recent PC games, I'll be all over it! They really reminded me of my time playing Shadowrun 3E, which are some of my fondest tabletop RPG memories.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
And Shadowrun Crossfire is utter crap.


So many wrong people today...
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The article said something about releasing at GenCon, but I haven't heard anything since, so I don't think that is a possibility anymore. Has anyone heard anything?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the last picture on the bottom of the page. Shadowrun: Sprawl Ops - don't know if it's the same thing, but it'd certainly be better than just Shadowrun: The Board Game.

http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2017/08/12/catalyst-game-lab...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay did some digging under that name and found this video from Orgins 2017 (mostly about their RPG stuff, but there's a small snippet about board games):

They also mentioned Hostile Takeover, so I don't think it's the same game.



Le sigh shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.