Subject: Combining Power Plants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Deschildre
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

Question about time travelling: it's very clear that focus tokens are always reset to the new era, but I have an question regarding power plants:

For example: it's the 7th (and last era, my focus token is reset to here) and I have 2 power plants which give each the ability to travel 2 era's back. Am I allowed to:

- Use one power plant to travel to the 5th era with an option to remove my warp tile then I end my turn
- On my next turn, use another power plant to travel to the 3th era with an option to remove my warp tile then I end my turn

Thank you!

Edit: ANSWER IS NO, BECAUSE TIME TRAVEL RANGE IS ALWAYS COUNTED FROM THE PRESENT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The power plants' range are always calculated from the current era.

So if you had 2 power plants with a range of 2 during the 7th era then you would be able to travel to the 5th era first and after that to the 6th or 5th again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ydnad wrote:

So if you had 2 power plants with a range of 2 during the 7th era then you would be able to travel to the 5th era first and after that to the 6th or 5th again.

Hmm are you sure about that? That would not make sens IHMO.

I think it would almost impossible to back to first era from 7th era.

And it should work like Dennis described

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Deschildre
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:
Ydnad wrote:

Looked it up: you can't combine power factories. Turczi wrote: "time travel range is always counted from the present"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:
Ydnad wrote:

But it doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:
Ydnad wrote:

Hmm are you sure about that?

Yes. It's stated directly in the rules and has been confirmed by the designer and others several times on these forums. It was even listed by the designer as something that should be added to an FAQ.

Quote:

There are a couple of buildings that offer X as a range. Not many, and yes, it's very hard. But on the other hand - you know up front it'll be hard/impossible to get back that far, so make sure you do any first-era stuff before you get all the way to the far end.

Quote:
Afraid it doesn't, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, it makes sense. The Power Plants (ie, the time machines) are always located in the present. So the present is always where you calculate their range from. Just because you open a portal and step two eras into the past doesn't mean your second time machine goes with you. You left that technology behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hu hu ...

My bad, sorry

Thanks for clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it this way:

When you time travel in this game you are not getting in a "time machine" in Era 7 and you aren't "driving" it back to Era 5. You aren't sitting there in Era 5 with a time machine, otherwise maybe you would thematically be able to then go back further to Era 3.

No, what's happening is that you're firing up the power station, a portal opens to the past in Era 5, you throw some materials through the portal (or maybe a "lucky" volunteer) and then the portal closes again. Maybe you catch a glimpse of an old superproject blueprint through the portal before it closes. You're still standing there in Era 7 with the exact same power station that still has the exact same range next time you switch it on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
mike3838 wrote:
Think of it this way:

When you time travel in this game you are not getting in a "time machine" in Era 7 and you aren't "driving" it back to Era 5. You aren't sitting there in Era 5 with a time machine, otherwise maybe you would thematically be able to then go back further to Era 3.

No, what's happening is that you're firing up the power station, a portal opens to the past in Era 5, you throw some materials through the portal (or maybe a "lucky" volunteer) and then the portal closes again. Maybe you catch a glimpse of an old superproject blueprint through the portal before it closes. You're still standing there in Era 7 with the exact same power station that still has the exact same range next time you switch it on.

This is exactly my interpretation of how power plants and time travel works in this game You just open up a portal from the present to the past to send back assets and retrieve information on past superprojects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation Now it make more sense, in a thematic way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Mangiarano
Italy
Castellana Grotte
(BA)
flag msg tools
Use the force
badge
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, nice explanation. Let's try to elaborate something different:

You have 2 Time machines one with range 1 the other with range 2.
Let's imagine I activate the range 2 TM and I send back something 2 eras before the present.
I could, if only I want, build the SP with my focus (ie 2 eras back in the past).

The question is:
can I activate the 1 range TM and send something back in range 1 era from present (actually moving forward my focus by 1)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starpino wrote:
Ok, nice explanation. Let's try to elaborate something different:

You have 2 Time machines one with range 1 the other with range 2.
Let's imagine I activate the range 2 TM and I send back something 2 eras before the present.
I could, if only I want, build the SP with my focus (ie 2 eras back in the past).

The question is:
can I activate the 1 range TM and send something back in range 1 era from present (actually moving forward my focus by 1)?

Timelines:
Past-2 > Past-1 > Present

You have 2 PPs.
One range 2, one range 1.
Right now you can build SP in Present.
You activate PP-2, travel back to Past-2 and send back stuff.
You can now build SP in Past-2.
You activate PP-1, travel back to Past-1 and send back stuff.
You can now build SP in Past-1.

So I think the answer to your question is yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:

You have 2 PPs.

Not quite related, but I can't help but wonder why they were named Power Plants and not Time Machines .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:
TDaver wrote:

You have 2 PPs.

Not quite related, but I can't help but wonder why they were named Power Plants and not Time Machines .

Because according to the backstory, the high concentrate of neutronium in the monoliths allow the wormholes to form. The power plants just channel energy into the monoliths to widen and direct the wormholes.

PS: In my proto ("before the backstory") they were called Portals But yeah, everyone referred to them as Time machines, so i won't hold it against you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.