Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Scenario #27: (How) Did you do it? [Unmarked scenario spoilers inside] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we finished this monstrosity of a scenario on our second attempt, with different party. Our first attempt ended rather apruptly on round 5, when the ranged demons decided they would very much like to add an already slightly battered Hail to their target list. We managed to prevail on the second attempt with a combination of Cragheart and [Triple Arrows].
We started trying to kill as many demons as possible, but that wasn't sustainable for too long. In the end we made it to the final round, heavily wounded and the room filled to the brim with different demons and the Cragheart's obstacles. Simply body-blocking the onslaught did work, but I feel we've been incredibly lucky on some turns. The final turn was won by simply having enough cards in hand to be able to just soak the damage.

I absolutely loved the scenario. It was a desperate struggle to simply stay alive against overwhelming odds, and the resolution text felt really climactic. I'm just not sure what strategy you can use to effectively increase your (and, more importantly, Hail's) chance of survival, and I'm not sure how this could be done with less sturdy characters. I suppose the massive reward does justify the scenario being hard-hard.

If you finished the scenario - how did you do it? If you tried and failed it - did you give up? What would you do differently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished it yesterday on first attempt...and we just killed things. Scenario Level 3: Level 2 Brute, Level 3 Mind Thief, Level 5 Cragheart, Level 7 Tinkerer. We put the Tinkerer and Cragheart on one side, and the Brute and Mind Thief on the other. We each mostly struck to our sides, but the ranged Tinkerer and Cragheart helped out when possible. We altered our decks a bit: dumped Loot cards, less focus on Movement, a little more Heal, and less AoE. Most importantly, we were all very aggressive in our card play since we knew it would only last 10 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how much of the difficulty results from us playing with only two characters. While some of the demons gain some nasty abilities when elite (looking at you, Flame Demon!), the number of HP each player has to burn through seems way lower for four players, as does the amount of damage.
There was simply no way we could reliably kill 2 demons each round, and things kept adding up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garou wrote:
I wonder how much of the difficulty results from us playing with only two characters. While some of the demons gain some nasty abilities when elite (looking at you, Flame Demon!), the number of HP each player has to burn through seems way lower for four players, as does the amount of damage.
There was simply no way we could reliably kill 2 demons each round, and things kept adding up.

That's probably very true. Additionally, you probably have to move around the map more with 2p. Since the Tinkerer is mostly ranged, I didn't even have to move much. Also, in our case, the level imbalance among the party probably helped. The higher level guys were equipped to handle the really difficult Monsters, and we were really pretty efficient because of that. For example, with the Flame Demons, the Tinkerer has a higher level card...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
that instakills anything with 5 or less health. The 4 Shield didn't even matter.
Then for the next Flame Demon, we used the bow that also ignored their shield. The level disparity allowed some of that to more easily happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoff Lag
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the Mindthief, the Cragheart and the [Triforce] character and did it first try but that was close.

The MT was helpfull to have the Flame Demons hurt each other. Actually this character is able to handle many things alone. He kept one side almost on his own while the Cragheart did the same other side.
The Triforce guy stay centered and did a bit of the job.

I also accepted to have the NPC got hit a bit.
And as the rules didn't mention anything on that side, houseruled that I could move the altar. The Cragheart is controlling the playground so well with these obstacle abilities that having him retired is a pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolino Paperino
Switzerland
Banco
flag msg tools
mb
Failed twice with completely different approaches (1. aggressive 2. defensive), both at turn 7. My party is currently composed by a Cragheart (lvl 3) and Spellweaver (lvl 4). I'm now wondering whether to come back to Gloomhaven to hire a Mindthief or some other guy to help me on that.
I have the impression that due to the demons'abilities which might interact between each other, this scenario heavily depends on good/bad luck. I had cases where the monster abilities were simply devastating, and others where they were damaging themselves without my intervention (e.g. Flame Demon -> Frost Demon).
Any strategy recommendation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keld Hjortskov
Denmark
Bagsværd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Finished in first attempt with all unlocked characters.
"Musical note" character provided wound to all attacks and that helped a lot versus flame demons when combined with stun/disarm/immobilize effects.

Cool scenario!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
hanshu wrote:
And as the rules didn't mention anything on that side, houseruled that I could move the altar.

Completely legal, the altar is just a normal obstacle. In the FAQ thread Isaac recently confirmed that scenario-important obstacles can be moved and destroyed the same way regular obstacles can, unless the scenario text states otherwise. Even obstacles with HP can be moved (though not destroyed) this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosworth wrote:
Finished in first attempt with all unlocked characters.
"Musical note" character provided wound to all attacks and that helped a lot versus flame demons when combined with stun/disarm/immobilize effects.

Cool scenario!

This should be put in a Spoiler IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bush
United States
North Charleston
SC - South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I absolutely loved this scenario. Played it at Lvl 4 difficulty with a Lvl 6 Spellweaver, Lvl 6 Brute, and I'm 5 Scoundrel playing solo.

Positioned the Brute and Scoundrel on opposite sides of the map and had the Spellweaver summon both summons to opposite sides on turn one and two. I was keeping everything either killed or within one attack of dying until turn 8. Then it was a mad dash of stuns and then losing cards to prevent damage until the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems as though having a cragheart makes a big difference. I closed off all but one entry point in the first three rounds. Then just batten down the hatches
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Most importantly, we were all very aggressive in our card play since we knew it would only last 10 rounds.

Absolutely. When you have a time limit like that, ditching a card in the first cycle is suddenly perfectly acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Dynalange129 wrote:
Seems as though having a cragheart makes a big difference. I closed off all but one entry point in the first three rounds. Then just batten down the hatches

Apologies if this is what you meant, I know you know how to play.

By closed off, you don't mean completely right? More bottle-necked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Dynalange129 wrote:

Apologies if this is what you meant, I know you know how to play.

By closed off, you don't mean completely right? More bottle-necked?

Yes bottle-necked. I created one opening in the entire board and focused my attention on the flying creatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Erlandsson
msg tools
How did you guys do with the reward? Can you add your own money to buy a 125 gold enhancement? Or are you just screwed if all your decent enhancents cost above 100 gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perer005 wrote:
How did you guys do with the reward? Can you add your own money to buy a 125 gold enhancement? Or are you just screwed if all your decent enhancents cost above 100 gold?

We definitely added our own money to this. Still, most were able to enhance what they wanted without that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyles Breecher
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
lohroffc wrote:
Masaren wrote:
I absolutely loved this scenario. Played it at Lvl 4 difficulty with a Lvl 6 Spellweaver, Lvl 6 Brute, and I'm 5 Scoundrel playing solo.

Positioned the Brute and Scoundrel on opposite sides of the map and had the Spellweaver summon both summons to opposite sides on turn one and two. I was keeping everything either killed or within one attack of dying until turn 8. Then it was a mad dash of stuns and then losing cards to prevent damage until the end.

Just for my clarification, shouldn't you be playing this at level 7 as normal (6 as easy)? Your average character level is 5.6 which rounds up to 6 and you add 1 for solo play (perfect knowledge of all player actions.

From the rules:

The recommended scenario level is equal to the average level of the characters in the party, divided by 2 and rounded up; this would be considered “Normal” difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just did it as a Cragheart and Spellweaver, both level 5, in 2 attempts. The Cragheart's ability to shape the battlefield and delay melee demons was indeed very useful.

It was also the last adventure for our character with a demon-killing personal goal, so it was a dramatic and fitting finale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Stankowski
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished this in our first attempt. We had scoundrel lvl.2, sun lvl.2, music note lvl.3 and spellweaver lvl.7. We started aggressive killing first 3 waves but than couldn't keep up (by round 10 we had 10+ demons trying to kill us). With our low lvl getting through all those elite was impossible. By the end only the sun character had any cards left but we managed to prevail
This was the first time that we had to shuffle monster AttMod deck because we run out of cards on our last round luckily the x2 was drawn to hit a PC and not Hail.

Music note skill spoiler
This character added at least 10 curses to the monster deck and we drew all of them. And mass muddle is soooo good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
SlawoS wrote:
We just finished this in our first attempt. We had scoundrel lvl.2, sun lvl.2, music note lvl.3 and spellweaver lvl.7. We started aggressive killing first 3 waves but than couldn't keep up (by round 10 we had 10+ demons trying to kill us). With our low lvl getting through all those elite was impossible. By the end only the sun character had any cards left but we managed to prevail
This was the first time that we had to shuffle monster AttMod deck because we run out of cards on our last round luckily the x2 was drawn to hit a PC and not Hail.

Music note skill spoiler
This character added at least 10 curses to the monster deck and we drew all of them. And mass muddle is soooo good.

fyi
there are only 10 curse cards for monsters, once they run out, no more can be added. Note that drawn curses are removed for remainder of scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hilaryg wrote:
SlawoS wrote:

Music note skill spoiler

fyi
there are only 10 curse cards for monsters, once they run out, no more can be added. Note that drawn curses are removed for remainder of scenario

The FAQ indicates otherwise:

FAQ wrote:
One deck is exclusively for putting curse cards into the player's attack modifier decks, and the other is exclusively for putting curse cards into the monster's attack modifier deck. So no single attack modifier deck can ever have more than 10 curse cards in it. When a curse card is removed from a player’s attack modifier deck, it is returned to the player curse card deck, and a curse card removed from the monster attack modifier deck is returned to the monster curse card deck. If curses are distributed at the beginning of a scenario, distribute them as evenly as possible to all those affected, with players deciding cases of ambiguity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United States
Tuscaloosa
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just won on the first attempt with L3 Spellweaver, Cragheart, and Scoundrel. This is a second party (I have two sets of people going down different scenario lines at once) and the other two players had a grand total of two previous scenarios under their belts, so we were playing Easy (L1 enemies), which was helpful except that Hail was very fragile.

We managed to kill the initial set of spawns but the elite Flame Demons were pretty much given free reign. My Spellweaver (and her summons) ended up anchoring one side of the field for two rounds after the Scoundrel had to bolt to block the Sun Demon who otherwise would have focused on the Cragheart but moved to target Hail as well. I managed to hang on with 1 hp and no card loss, going invisible as the Scoundrel came back over. By round 7 things were looking very sticky indeed, but the Cragheart managed to kill both the Earth Demons in one corner and had put obstacles around the other. The Scoundrel's card that blocks all damage from one attack was also highly useful. All of us were taking frequent short rests to maximize cards-in-hand for damage-tanking purposes.

The final round ended with none of us exhausted, though we'd all lost cards to damage (the Cragheart lost three cards on the last round). We were at that point facing two elite Fire Demons, two elite Sun Demons, an elite Wind Demon, and one each of Dark and Frost.

We got pretty lucky with the multitarget monster cards, with Hail only getting hit once (for half her hp) on round 9, which the Cragheart healed on the final round. We were also very lucky with the Flame Demon actions, which for three rounds accomplished nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Beating Scenario #27 is when I decided I deserved it.

My story was similar. Tried to kill as many as I could. Then they just started piling.

I got lucky with the timing of a card that let me stun every adjacent monster near the end.

Through a twist of monster ability cards one Wind Demon did something I didnt predict. I thought it was lost. It did a meelee move and therefore went after Hail instead of me, on the last round. She had 6 HP left and survived.

Here is a pict:

I use the spellweaver mini to represent Hail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kobe S.
Belgium
flag msg tools
I just finished this scenario solo with 3 characters, and I loved it.
My group is Three Spears 3, Circles 3, and Tinkerer 6 (still no retired chars in this lineage). Playing at creature level 3.
At first I did start to kill the demons, but by round 7 there were about 5 enemies roaming the room. I decided to go all defensive at that point.

Some things which helped:
- using summoned creatures as often as possible, often just as meat shields to mitigate damage on other targets
- short resting more often than usual, in order to keep enough cards in hand to mitigate incoming damage
- crowd control (disarm, immobilise, stun) whenever possible

This strategy worked well, by the end of round 10 my characters could have held out for an additional 1 to 2 rounds.

My Tinkerer is getting slightly desperate though (personal quest spoiler)
He has to witness 3 more exhausting allies. I was rather hoping this scenario would cause exhaustion, but...
I may have to cheat a bit to get this PQ over and done with. It doesn’t seem like Circles and Three Spears are prone to exhaust in any of the upcoming scenarios as their gear and enhancements increase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benas Peliksa
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mb
So yesterday we also finished this one. Was awesome!
Party level: 2
Characters: MindThief (lvl 4), Scoundrel (lvl 3), Cragheart (lvl 4)

Long story short:
First 5 rounds were pretty easy - while MT and Scoundrel were dealing the damage and killing any new demons that would spawn, my played Cragheart worked as obstacle summoning ROCKstar. Ended up getting Hail hit only once (and couple time I did a friendly-fire on her). Main Strategy - make melee demons stuck behind obstacles as much as possible while killing any ranged ones. This is how our map looked at the end of Round 10:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.