al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven players,

Tried to find the answer to my question in FAQ, but I need clarification please. I wanted to know if a condition still can be placed on an enemy even if the "no damage" attack modifier card is drawn. The FAQ that is on point is in bold below.

Is it ever possible to do damage with an attack after the "no damage" attack modifier card takes effect?
No. If this card is applied to your attack, you do no direct damage with the attack under any circumstances.

The answer says that " .... you do no DIRECT damage with the attack ...". So if I attack with a 3 attack that also wounds, does the wound still count since it is not "direct" damage?

Thanks,
albcann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the wound would still take effect.

I think the direct might also refer to some characters abilities that e.g. effect neighbouring enemies, so sometimes you have an attack on one enemy that fails to do damage, but it does "indirect" damage to the one next to it, so that secondary damage would still apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
All conditions still apply.
Not that, while wound is a condition that deals damage, the damage is dealt by the condition, not by the character that applied it. This also means that you won't get credit for monsters that die from bleeding out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 22

Attack effects are applied regardless of whether the corresponding attack does damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks .... didn't see that in the rules.

Albcann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this example I have been playing that poison does not do a point of damage. I hope this is correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:
In this example I have been playing that poison does not do a point of damage. I hope this is correct

Correct - poison increases attack damage, and miss sets attack damage to zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:

Along similar lines... since according to the order of calculating damage, the poison +1 is applied BEFORE the modifier card, if you do a 3 hit attack on a poisoned enemy, and draw a 2x modifier, would you do (3+1) x 2 = 8 points of damage? This is how we played, but I could see how the poison only does max of +1 no matter what...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The poison bonus is before the attack modifier card. So the +1 from the poison is doubled by a 2x modifier card.

magictom1 wrote:
papagamer72 wrote:

Along similar lines... since according to the order of calculating damage, the poison +1 is applied BEFORE the modifier card, if you do a 3 hit attack on a poisoned enemy, and draw a 2x modifier, would you do (3+1) x 2 = 8 points of damage? This is how we played, but I could see how the poison only does max of +1 no matter what...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
magictom1 wrote:
papagamer72 wrote:

Do you mean an attack that specifically says "hit an enemy 3 times"? I haven't encountered any of those.

Or do you mean an attack on a single enemy that does 3 damage before modifiers (3 with the sword icon)?

If the latter, I agree with Ben. The poison affects the attack base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
If the latter, I agree with Ben. The poison affects the attack base.

Actually what's the proper rules/FAQ/post citation on this? Is it merely an extrapolation from "all enemies add +1 to all of their attacks targeting the figure"?

The top of page 20 gives three steps that modify the base attack value. I'm guessing there is something that specifically nails down poison fitting in this step?

*edit* The best I found is a few posts like this (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25134703#25134703) with no contradiction from Isaac, so it seems accepted. Poison would be considered part of the "other sources" in step 1 of the page 20 process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah sorry was typing quickly. I meant a 3 damage attack on a poisoned enemy. We assumed poison +1 gets added to the 3 BEFORE the total is multiplied by 2 from drawing the 2x card. Seems a bit weird but that follows the order of calculating damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magictom1 wrote:
Yeah sorry was typing quickly. I meant a 3 damage attack on a poisoned enemy. We assumed poison +1 gets added to the 3 BEFORE the total is multiplied by 2 from drawing the 2x card. Seems a bit weird but that follows the order of calculating damage.

Yep, this is correct.

The only weirdness I've found with damage calculations relates to the Scoundrel's Smoke Bomb card.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You have to remember that the Attack Modifier Card drawn is always the LAST effect. You can choose the order of other effects, however. So if a monster is Poisoned and you hit it with Backstab while both adjacent to none of its allies, and adjacent to another of your allies, and Invisible with Smoke Bomb active, and then pull a +0 modifier, you will deal (3 + 2 + 2 + 1) x2 + 0 = 16 damage. Theoretically you can reorder those so that you do as little as 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CrushU wrote:
magictom1 wrote:

Yep, this is correct.

The only weirdness I've found with damage calculations relates to the Scoundrel's Smoke Bomb card.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You have to remember that the Attack Modifier Card drawn is always the LAST effect. You can choose the order of other effects, however. So if a monster is Poisoned and you hit it with Backstab while both adjacent to none of its allies, and adjacent to another of your allies, and Invisible with Smoke Bomb active, and then pull a +0 modifier, you will deal (3 + 2 + 2 + 1) x2 + 0 = 16 damage. Theoretically you can reorder those so that you do as little as 11.

The attack modifier card is NOT the last effect per page 20. The defender's defensive bonuses happen last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules on P20 are pretty clear about all of this, right? It even includes an example showing how an X2 damage multiplier gets applied.

OP: I'd suggest a change to the title of the thread. This isn't a clarification of the FAQ. It's a question about how Wound gets applied. Having FAQ in the title of a non-FAQ thread is going to make searching hard for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's clear for the cut and dry situations. However it's just strange to me that you can double the +1 for poison... but a friend described this as "the poison works quicker when you pull the x2 because he's bobbing and weaving from your super attack, which makes the poison course faster through his veins". Sounds good to me!

As for renaming this thread I totally agree. I, for one, have a hard enough time searching these forums for an answer (embarrassed that I'll start a thread about a question that's already been answered elsewhere...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.