Mark Long
United States
Wilmington
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several characters with the "Combat Optional" Rule. I have found that it is possible for you to fight the other monsters in the room ignoring the undead,in Makumba's case, but what about fighting just some of the undead and leaving the others?

For example: You are in a room with 2 undead and 1 animal. Can I choose to fight 1 of the undead and 1 animal and ignore the 2nd undead? (I understand that I could just fight the Animal and be done with combat)

What if it was 3 undead and I can only beat 2 of them. Can I choose to ignore just the 1 undead? Maybe in this case fighting all 3 would cause my death. Where if I only fought 2 I would survive to gain xp.

We decided that it made more sense to say you either ignore all monsters of a type or you fight them all.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maxwell_Finn wrote:
We decided that it made more sense to say you either ignore all monsters of a type or you fight them all.

Thoughts?

This is how we've been playing. It seemed most balanced to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
mbmbmbmbmb
Maxwell_Finn wrote:
There are several characters with the "Combat Optional" Rule. I have found that it is possible for you to fight the other monsters in the room ignoring the undead,in Makumba's case, but what about fighting just some of the undead and leaving the others?

For example: You are in a room with 2 undead and 1 animal. Can I choose to fight 1 of the undead and 1 animal and ignore the 2nd undead? (I understand that I could just fight the Animal and be done with combat)

What if it was 3 undead and I can only beat 2 of them. Can I choose to ignore just the 1 undead? Maybe in this case fighting all 3 would cause my death. Where if I only fought 2 I would survive to gain xp.

Thoughts?

I agree that it's you either ignore all monsters of a type or you fight them all. That's how I'll always play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it as optional per monster. Fight as many, or as few, as you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Polanco
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Boilerman wrote:

I agree with this. If Combat with Undead is Optional, why shouldn't she be able to optionally pick and choose who she wants to fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Boilerman wrote:

I also agree with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Long
United States
Wilmington
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
....and the dilemma continues. Unfortunately, the community is split on many rules.

I still feel if you attack 1 you would get the attention of all. To me, that fits thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I also feel that thematically it works better that way, and as Chuck says above, if you're allowed to pick and choose the ability would be very powerful (too powerful in my book) as undead monsters in particular turn up quite a lot. Making it all or nothing means there is a more meaningful decision to be made one way or the other.

However, if there's an official word on this either way I'd go with the official word... Patrick?!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that there needs to be an "official" ruling. Play which way works best for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to know what the game designers intended this rule to mean, and I always do in cases of rule grey areas like this. It's not a rule I have too much passion about either way so I'm happy to play it as the designers intended.

But I can see what you're saying, and that's why I intend on playing it as I am unless I hear anything official.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Long
United States
Wilmington
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree and we had a 3 to 1 vote on all or nothing but it would be nice to know if it was meant to be played the other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm with the all or nothing approach - you either remain neutral to a type of monster or you make yourself their enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Matheus
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent on the original Masmorra was Fight all or ignore all.
I don't know how CMON will rule this out since they have final word on rules of this version.
I'm sory the wording gave room for either interpretation, probably my fault on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PMatheus wrote:
I don't know how CMON will rule this out since they have final word on rules of this version.
I'm sory the wording gave room for either interpretation, probably my fault on this.

Thanks, Patrick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PMatheus wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for weighing in Patrick. This is official as far as I'm concerned as we'll likely not hear from CMON on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Long
United States
Wilmington
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PMatheus wrote:

Thanks Patrick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PMatheus wrote:

Thanks - your word is good enough for me. Glad it is all or nothing as it makes more sense that way (to me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Boilerman wrote:

Another vote for this. The mobs are not coordinated in any way, and the rules make it clear that combat in a room with multiple monsters is always done one monster at a time (but with abilities stacked) in order of the player's choosing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedmutant wrote:
The Boilerman wrote:

Another vote for this. The mobs are not coordinated in any way, and the rules make it clear that combat in a room with multiple monsters is always done one monster at a time (but with abilities stacked) in order of the player's choosing.

You may have missed it but Patrick is one of the game designers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.