Subject: Clarifications: Attack modifier deck and perks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We finally managed to play our first game this Saturday but stumblede over a big question:

Each character uses a unique attack modifier deck - that's no problem.
However, do you use the complete deck from the start?
It felt sometimes quite strange when multiple cards (ofter 5 or 6) were drawn until a card without a symbol for another card draw was revealed. Did we miss anything?

Moreover, how do the perks exactly work? Most of their conditions are not fullfilled: e.g. most characters do not have the cards they may replace by using perks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
page 5 rulebook:
each character starts with the same modifier deck labeled 1-4:
1 null
1 crit
1 +2
1 -2
6 cards +0
5 cards -1
5 cards +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As said above. The small decks in a box of a character are NOT your attack modifier deck, use the ones labeled 1,2,3 and/or 4 for the characters, you'll find those decks together with the one labeled with M, which is used for the monsters.

The cards that come with the character are the ones you can swap in when you receive perks NOT your starting deck.

Edit: also, don't worry, I know because I screwed it up as well initially. I noticed however before starting because something felt off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much.
The rule book is so big - I read it 3 times but still missed that.
So the starting character deck and the monster deck are the same.
So we were right to feel strange about these weird 5-6 attack combos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Schmergel wrote:
Thanks so much.
So the starting character deck and the monster deck are the same?

Yes they are. the monster deck is labeled M and is used for ALL monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then it's good to have fullfilled the first personal goal rewarding some perks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
Schmergel wrote:
Then it's good to have fullfilled the first personal goal rewarding some perks...

If you are talking about battle goals - note that those don't give you perks directly, but checkmarks (see the boxes below the perk list on the character sheet). For every three checkmarks you earned, you gain a perk. You also get a perk for each level you gain, as well as a bonus perk at character creation for each character you personally retired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schmergel wrote:
Thanks so much.

I blame my nature of unboxing first, THEN reading what things do. So seeing the decks in the characters boxes made me think it's their decks and then I just glanced over that part of the rules as it seemed already clear until I ran into the "less randomness" variant and noticed none of my chracters even had a fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:
Schmergel wrote:
Thanks so much.

I blame my nature of unboxing first, THEN reading what things do. So seeing the decks in the characters boxes made me think it's their decks and then I just glanced over that part of the rules as it seemed already clear until I ran into the "less randomness" variant and noticed none of my chracters even had a fail.

I had the opposite experience where unboxing made me realize that the modifiers in the envelope weren't the only ones. I noted that the 4 player decks all had different numbers on the bottom of them and I was like, "OH, so these must be the standard decks since they are all the same."

Then I had to figure out what the ones in the envelopes were for, and then it all fell in place via the instructions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Leo
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
After watching the numerous first plays on Youtube, I'm starting to think I'm the only one who did it right the first time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Skeen
msg tools
Is the M deck the same as the 1,2,3,4 decks? I was reading the rules while away from home and realized ive been using 3 deck for monsters. Hoping they are the same...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HitmanN
Finland
Uusikaupunki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nskeener wrote:
Is the M deck the same as the 1,2,3,4 decks? I was reading the rules while away from home and realized ive been using 3 deck for monsters. Hoping they are the same...

Same cards in all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quasistellar wrote:
After watching the numerous first plays on Youtube, I'm starting to think I'm the only one who did it right the first time

I did it right the first time too!

However I read about many people doing it wrong before my copy, so I was prepared. Would I have done it correctly otherwise? I'll never know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.