Subject: Defending other players' cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
could a player move his/her military units into another player's city space in order to help defend it against a potential attacking army?

A literal reading of the rules would suggest that this is not possible but I'm not convinced (given the translation issues).

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
could a player move his/her military units into another player's city space in order to help defend it against a potential attacking army?

A literal reading of the rules would suggest that this is not possible but I'm not convinced (given the translation issues).

Thank you!

Well, this is an interesting question.
I checked the rulebooks (especially the original in german) and I can't find anything specifically prohibiting it.
But I'm pretty sure Mr. Gerdts didn't want to allow it.
It's all about the definition of "Verteidiger" (Defender) - "die Anzahl der Legionen und Galeeren des Verteidigers, die in der Region der Stadt stehen" literally means "the number of legions and galleys of the DEFENDER lying in city's region".
There's no official definition of the DEFENDER...

Anyway, one thing you can definitely do is entering the region containing the city you want to defend and forcing to battle anyone entering the region afterwards. You don't get the "defending city" bonuses, but if you have enough troops, you get the same result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RickNash wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Thank you!

Well, this is an interesting question.
I checked the rulebooks (especially the original in german) and I can't find anything specifically prohibiting it.
But I'm pretty sure Mr. Gerdts didn't want to allow it.
It's all about the definition of "Vertedeiger" (Defender) - "die Anzahl der Legionen und Galeeren des Verteidigers, die in der Region der Stadt stehen" literally means "the number of legions and galleys of the DEFENDER lying in city's region".
There's no official definition of the DEFENDER...

Anyway, one thing you can definitely do is entering the region containing the city you want to defend and forcing to battle anyone entering the region afterwards. You don't get the "defending city" bonuses, but if you have enough troops, you get the same result.

Thank you - especially for consulting the German text for me.
It seems to me that your approach works perfectly.

In short:

(1) Movement occurs. At this point, any hostile nation whatsoever may attack the moving player's units if they occupy the same territory. Thus, someone seeking to help out the defending player can pick off the units it just moved into the city space.

(2) conquest attempts would occur thereafter. But assuming that this is no longer possible, the moving player would either inflict casualties upon the defending player's units, or simply park his/her units in the same space as the city. (If the former were to occur, technically, this would be part of step 1, I think. I don't think the game contemplates an "unsuccessful" conquest attempt.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:

(1) Movement occurs. At this point, any hostile nation whatsoever may attack the moving player's units if they occupy the same territory. Thus, someone seeking to help out the defending player can pick off the units it just moved into the city space.

(2) conquest attempts would occur thereafter. But assuming that this is no longer possible, the moving player would either inflict casualties upon the defending player's units, or simply park his/her units in the same space as the city. (If the former were to occur, technically, this would be part of step 1, I think. I don't think the game contemplates an "unsuccessful" conquest attempt.)

It doesn't. You're right, "the former" is a normal battle, so it technically occurs in phase 1. If the attacker has enough units to meet or exceed the city's defense value, there is no battle, only conquest - all defender's units are removed and all exceeding attacker's units (if any) stay in the region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.