8 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: special case: no white disc available rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michi Nail
Germany
flag msg tools
Yesterday I ran into the following special case mentioned on the last page of the rules:

'If you must place a disc onto a city space during delivery or onto a train Station while upgrading it, some special cases can occur: If you are supposed to place a disc onto a space with white corners but only happen to have discs on disc spaces with dark corners le, you are allowed to place a disc from a disc space with dark corners
onto a space with white corners.'

'You are allowed' should better be replaced by 'you must', as you still have to place a marker. Is that correct? This can for example force me to pay 5 Dollar for a (maybe useless) disc from the black space, if no other disc is available!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry to be unable to answer your question, as I have not yet encountered this situation.

If I may, however, I would like to add two 2 additional questions about it that have nagged at me because I while I understand the situation, I don't fully grasp the consequences and the ruling.

Is this rule intended to address a component limitation, and serve simply as a workaround (could I throw in some spare cubes to cover the situation and avoid the "use a disc from a space with dark corners" rule)?

Is there a drawback to using the components in this manner (i.e., does this rule take something away while at the same time allowing you to gain something else)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the OP's understanding is correct. You must place a disc from your player board. If all of your white-border discs are already placed, then you must use a black-bordered disc.

If ALL of your discs have already been placed from your player board, then you must remove a disc from a station (not a delivery city) and use it for the new placement.

James, the discs are a limited resource in the game. Each one reveals a bonus ability when removed from the player board. Thus, it is not acceptable to add additional cubes into the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thank you, Phil.

And thanks to Michi for the question that spurred it.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
Yes, the OP's understanding is correct. You must place a disc from your player board. If all of your white-border discs are already placed, then you must use a black-bordered disc.

If ALL of your discs have already been placed from your player board, then you must remove a disc from a station (not a delivery city) and use it for the new placement.

James, the discs are a limited resource in the game. Each one reveals a bonus ability when removed from the player board. Thus, it is not acceptable to add additional cubes into the system.
Here's the relevant quote from the rules (page 16, last bullet):
Quote:
If you must place a disc onto a city space during delivery or onto a train station
while upgrading it, some special cases can occur: If you are supposed to place a disc
onto a space with white corners but only happen to have discs on disc spaces with
dark corners left, you are allowed to place a disc from a disc space with dark corners
onto a space with white corners. If you are supposed to place a disc but are unable to
(because you have none left or cannot pay for them), remove one of your discs from
a train station of your choice and place that one instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Zubrycki
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
What happens when during the play I will place a disc with black corners from Certificate track first.
Can I use field 6 as my 5th certificate? as 5th place with white corners is still covered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zubeerek wrote:
What happens when during the play I will place a disc with black corners from Certificate track first.
Can I use field 6 as my 5th certificate? as 5th place with white corners is still covered.

no you can't... to use that space you have to clear the "5" space before because the certificate won't move from 4 to 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
zubeerek wrote:
Here's the relevant quote from the rules (page 9, last paragraph in yellow box):
Quote:
By clearing these spaces, you increase your temporary certificate limit (you
start with a limit of 3). However, if you clear the 6-certificate space before the
4-certificate space, your temporary certificate limit remains 3 until you also have
cleared the 4-certificate space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.