Subject: Question about mean secenario duration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After our first scenario played this Saturday, I'm wondering: some players wrote of ca. 1,5 hours for the first scenario. It took us 2,5 hours - o.k., first game, character selection and some discussions. So, let's say we needed maybe 2 hours.

To plan future sessions, I'd like to ask the more experienced players about the mean duration of a scenario. Is approximately 2 hours realistic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schmergel wrote:
After our first scenario played this Saturday, I'm wondering: some players wrote of ca. 1,5 hours for the first scenario. It took us 2,5 hours - o.k., first game, character selection and some discussions. So, let's say we needed maybe 2 hours.

To plan future sessions, I'd like to ask the more experienced players about the mean duration of a scenario. Is approximately 2 hours realistic?

I think so, definitely if someone sets up beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played 12 times with 3 players, scenarios have taken between 2 and 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. So a session will probarbly not fit in an evening on a weekday after work .
Let's intoduce "Saturday night Gloomhaven" then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We mostly play 2 scenarios in a session, with a play time of 5 to 6 hours. But that includes setting up the second scenario, tearing down the first AND second scenarios, road events, city events etc.

We play with the emphasis on fun over speed, but try to avoid AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm. That sounds intriguing. One secenario, a meal brake, and then another scenario. I think I'll suggest this as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 14 times. We are about 2.5 - 3 hours each time. 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
We can do a game in 1.5-2 hrs including set up, take down, road/cit events and post-scenario stuff (stickering, shopping and levelling if we go to town etc). But, we're 2 players and we tend to avoid AP by just going with our gut and dealing with the consequences.

We also try to be efficient in all the little bits of fiddly upkeep (like reshuffling decks). Decks that are to be reshuffled are shuffled as soon as they can be by the person who first has an opportunity. So, for example, if the monster attack deck is due to reshuffle, the first player to finish selecting their actions for the round shuffles it. I would wager this saves us a good bit of time in the long run (saving 30 seconds here or there, adds up, especially scenarios with lots of monster types out there at once requiring lots of shuffling of the AI decks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only just started the 3rd scenario last night with my 14 year old twin daughters.

We did the first scenario in about 3 hours, and I had set it up ahead of time. After that, a couple days later, I setup the second scenario and we split that between 2 sessions. So that's likely going to be how it is with them, since I don't see them wanting to play 2.5 to 3 hour sessions regularly.

Fortunately for me, I have a game table in my basement where I can leave the game setup all the time. I have the map and city stuff on the bar, so we just start there to do city stuff and road events, and then go to the table to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d w
Sweden
flag msg tools
Yes, the first scenario took at least three hours, not including setup, for us as well. I had test-played it solo a few times so I was reasonably familiar with the rules, another two guys had watched the rules video and our fourth didn't know much at all so there was a bit of rules explanation as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first scenarios took like 3-3.5 hours including set-up, town stuff, and tear-down. Last night, we got it to 2 hours 15 minutes including everything. This is with 4 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schmergel wrote:
Thank you. So a session will probarbly not fit in an evening on a weekday after work .
Let's intoduce "Saturday night Gloomhaven" then...

it can be a tight fit for work days.
myself, after the initial learning scenarios average somewhere around 2,5 to 3h for the actual scenario. As a solo player that might fit depending on timing but for a group that might be too narrow a time window.

Although, I think with a group playing with the default semi shared turn planning you probably will be faster as you can make your ability decisions in parallel, at least to a degree, while as a solo player my 3 man team sometimes gets tangled up a bit in "you can do X then I could do Y and the third Z - wait what where you doing again? that doesn't fit with my initiative. Hell, no I'm not dying for you....".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game last week (4 players) took 3.5 hours including set up, putting away and rules explanation for one of the players. But we played reasonably quickly, there were hardly any start of round discussions that went over 30 seconds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're on the slow end. We play with 4 and spend a few minutes of planning for each round. Our sessions run 3-3.5 hours just for the scenario. We've started doing all of the character development and decisions of what to do next over email. I keep the shop up to date in google drive and we have pdf's of all of the cards there. I try to have the setup complete when they walk in the door. We do our city and road events and then start the scenario.

We're slow, but we enjoy trying to figure out solutions to the seemingly impossible situations we find ourselves in. We're enjoying the game at this pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavily depending on player count.
Most of my games (10) were with 2, clocking at about 1,5 hours (netto scenario time, without City visit, setup and tear down).
With 3 players (3 games), it took about 2,5 hours.
Our single 4 player game took about 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's been taking us about an hour per person, not counting set up and tear-down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Candi wrote:
So, for example, if the monster attack deck is due to reshuffle, the first player to finish selecting their actions for the round shuffles it. I would wager this saves us a good bit of time in the long run (saving 30 seconds here or there, adds up, especially scenarios with lots of monster types out there at once requiring lots of shuffling of the AI decks).

This is a good idea, but be careful folks. If you still plan on opening some doors, you may need to reference the monster ability card for the turn again, which means you're just going to reshuffle. Plan accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two groups of four, and starting a third group of two tonight. (I'm not crazy, YOU'RE crazy!)

We play on weeknights. Start around 7pm after eating dinner, and it takes us till around 9:30 and then we chill and talk and stuff after and then we realize it's like 10:30-11pm and we need to go home...

Generally we do one scenario a night, though the second group has managed two a night a couple of times by virtue of starting at 6pm and not stopping at 7pm to put my daughter to bed (wife did that one week... She plays in the other group, though so it's not an option for that group.)

So I'd say it depends on the scenario mostly. Higher player counts will affect the time more than anything else, just because it puts more monsters on the board.

Tonight, I'm starting in a new World with one of the seasoned guys, and we're proud of getting an entire game of Eclipse, two-player, done in about 45 minutes, including setup/tear-down, so we'll see how that goes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil Sullivan
msg tools
Stating the obvious, but scenario difficultly makes a big difference. I did one last night that was relatively easy; surprise, surprise it took less time.

Group size makes a big difference too; although you're in a group so not much choice there. But as a solo player I shifted from 3 to 2 which made a big difference for playing after work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not counting setup time we average about 30 min per player (playing mostly with 3) for each scenario, with another 30 minutes total for a visit to Gloomhaven + City and Travel Events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.