Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
After finishing the first four books (I am still re-reading Death Masks, so I have no tried that book yet or any of the expansions), I decided to go back and play them again with the same characters I used the first time around(in addition to Harry, I used Susan and Murphy for the first two books, Susan and Michael for Grave Peril, and Murphy and the Alphas for Summer Knight), and these are some of my impressions.

- While the rules are very simple and well explained, the game definetively has a learning curve. Not only does it flow easier once you get some practice, but you start to see some of the strategy required to beat each book and situation.

- This is particularly true in solo play where you see all the cards on the table, and therefore start thinking several turns ahead in order to get some of the special bonuses from the cards as well as the Faith Points needed to play them.

- It still took me a couple of tries to beat some of the books (I am still on easy mode), but they definetively got easier the second time around, and I managed to complete them a lot faster (in one case even before the showdown).

- Though things can vary a lot depending on the initial setup as well as the cards you get, it seems to me that Grave Peril is so far the easiest of the first four books (especially playing with Michael and Susan), and Summer Kinght is probaly the most difficult (mainly due to the White Council Meeting obstacle).

- So far the characters feel very balanced, but there are certain cards talents and stunts that have proved particularly useful:

- Both Harry's and Susan's stunts are very effective.

- Murphy's and Susan's talents are also quite powerful, and can provide some interesting interactions if you manage to situate the investigations at certain ranges.

- While Harry's talent is invaluable early on, it becomes almost useless towards the end, so it requires some practice to manage.

- Favorite cards so far are Harry's infinite range investigation and attack (Consult with Bob and Pyrofuego!) and Michael's overcome and take advantage cards that also give you tokens (Fist of God and Family Man).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
The game is a blast. I just got it today and have played five times. I ran through the first four books once and did storm front again with an all wizard team. That one came down to the wire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
Mahuloq wrote:
The game is a blast. I just got it today and have played five times. I ran through the first four books once and did storm front again with an wizard team. That one came down to the wire.

Cool!

I finally got to play Death Masks yesterday, after finishing the book, and it is MEAN!!! Not only do you get a game-changing obstacle (Harry's Capture) that you almost need to overcome in order to get a chance of beating the game, but Count Ortega and Marcone's Involvement have restrictions that can really ruin your strategy if they start the game at close range.

I also played a couple of side jobs yesterday, using Mouse and Thomas, which I have not used before, since I am trying to keep true to the books, and it was also a lot of fun. I was particularly pleased with how the different amounts of cases, enemies, obstacles and advantages get balanced despite the different setups.

Also, Mouse rocks! He has a lot of powerful cards and both his talent and stunt provide for some very interesting strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
montanus wrote:
Mahuloq wrote:
The game is a blast. I just got it today and have played five times. I ran through the first four books once and did storm front again with an wizard team. That one came down to the wire.

Cool!

I finally got to play Death Masks yesterday, after finishing the book, and it is MEAN!!! Not only do you get a game-changing obstacle (Harry's Capture) that you almost need to overcome in order to get a chance of beating the game, but Count Ortega and Marcone's Involvement have restrictions that can really ruin your strategy if they start the game at close range.

I also played a couple of side jobs yesterday, using Mouse and Thomas, which I have not used before, since I am trying to keep true to the books, and it was also a lot of fun. I was particularly pleased with how the different amounts of cases, enemies, obstacles and advantages get balanced despite the different setups.

Also, Mouse rocks! He has a lot of powerful cards and both his talent and stunt provide for some very interesting strategies.

I haven't done any side jobs yet. I was worried they would be too generic but they sound interesting still. Ya mouse is great, I like Ra as well, has some interesting cards. You are just flying through the Dresden books! It's been awhile since I've read them, I might have to go back and reread. I wish the new one would come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Mama
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game today, and I have played 2 solo games, 1 three player game, and 2 four player game (all starting with 13 FPs). We won one of the 4 player games and lost the rest. However, going into the showdown, we always felt we had a fighting chance to win. I think Fred just game me some evil dice I feel the game does a good job being very challenging, yet it still lets the players feel like they are still in the fight and that they still have a chance. Well done and thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hicks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SDDonkey wrote:
I think Fred just gave me some evil dice

Only half of them are evil (the ones in the Evil Bob eye color). The other ones want you to give them romance novels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredhicks wrote:
SDDonkey wrote:

Only half of them are evil (the ones in the Evil Bob eye color). The other ones want you to give them romance novels.

That explains why I was rolling horribly last Saturday. I forgot the romance novel offering!

Obviously my friend made some promises though. She rolled all three times for our Showdown and managed to eliminate two foes and solve one case to give us the win in Fool Moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:
fredhicks wrote:
SDDonkey wrote:

That explains why I was rolling horribly last Saturday. I forgot the romance novel offering!

Obviously my friend made some promises though. She rolled all three times for our Showdown and managed to eliminate two foes and solve one case to give us the win in Fool Moon.

The word SHE is the important part here...Bob's always willing to help a lady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Treat Bob well, otherwise you get skull f... well, you get the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SnarksandBoojums wrote:
COMaestro wrote:
fredhicks wrote:
SDDonkey wrote:

The word SHE is the important part here...Bob's always willing to help a lady.

Ah, of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Mama
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fredhicks wrote:
SDDonkey wrote:

Nope. At least 75% of them are Evil. I needed a net of +1 on a roll of 6 dice. The result: -6. EEEVVIILLL I tell you!

I have played 22 games (17 time Solo with 3 Characters, and 5 four player games), every single game we had a chance, and it felt like a legitimate chance to win. I LOVE THIS GAME!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hicks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SDDonkey wrote:
I have played 22 games (17 time Solo with 3 Characters, and 5 four player games), every single game we had a chance, and it felt like a legitimate chance to win. I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

Yep, you're hooked, and hooked in the way that I was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.