Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilona
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Was talking with a friend about this game and she doesn't like this games as much anymore as in the beginning because always the person who focussed the most on riding with the train wins the game.

What is your experience with this? Is the bonus for riding your train to certain points too strong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
missiloon wrote:
Hi All,

Was talking with a friend about this game and she doesn't like this games as much anymore as in the beginning because always the person who focussed the most on riding with the train wins the game.

What is your experience with this? Is the bonus for riding your train to certain points too strong?

my experience doesn't match this... it highly depends on the bonuses that the train player is getting...

Also, a player that's going for this strategy will have a lot less End game cards to score at the end of the game because many of the cards he took were route cards and those don't count for any of the End game cards.

A way to counter this is to go heavy on cars and conductor to have exponential scoring rounds and get the end game bonus cards to maximize your score... I've scored more than 60 points at the end of the game with those cards.

So, both strategies are valid and can win the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I just scored 143 in a 3p game and only drafted a single route card, but got both conductor bonuses and scored a TON of train points at the end, and like Paulo said, you get end game bonus points from the cards that help speed that along too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McEwen
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've just got the game and only played twice, but like you say the person building up their route (me in the 1st game, my wife in the 2nd) won by some margin in each game.

It might depend on which modules your using. If you're using Celebrities and Postcards like we were then you can get massive bonuses from the train cards. I guess you need to take the strength and focus of the modules into play and if you're not harnessing those, you're gonna lose.

Loved the game though BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game, with modules A & B, I scored 189 going completely train cars & conductors. I moved my train once (on the last turn) and took no route cards.

Like Russian Railroads 4p, if you let someone follow a path on their own they will likely beat the people who are competing over other paths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ross Spurgeon
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played two player games only, about 6 or so. I find the opportunity to acquire and use Train Route cards depends on if and when they show up in the line up. I absolutely murdered my playing partner this way (185 to 75....). This was the second game and will probably not happen again. Learning how the cards interact, within each module, within the two modules together, within the base cards, coming out differently each game.... are the Players competing for similar sets or can a Player steal an obvious card another Player needs (possibly linking that stolen card to a Bonus card), and so on. Some games seem to be about the bonus cards. We had a game where only two VIPs came up (module 2). Overall, some variance in winning, and strategies towards that goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im not sure what the key to this game is. I played earlier with A and B. I went heavy on the routes and only in the third round did i get a few train cars and have one upvraded to 12 and a couple other minor ones. I lost by 21 pts.

Does anybody go for the money in this game? At the start and f round 3 i had the first two columns filled with coins). I then bought two endgame bonus cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.