Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Sesta
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After about a 20 month wait, I was extremely excited and pleased to finally be able to play a game with the beautiful new AE. It was only my second game overall of WotR and my friend's first game overall so we are now officially spoiled as well. We also made use of the exquisite Mt. Doom by Fubar Awol which I purchased over a year ago in anticipation (see pictures of setup)!

I played the valiant free peoples while my friend took the vast hordes of the shadow. The first major offensive move came when the shadow used the Corsairs of Umbar to move a large S&E army from Umbar to sneak attack Dol Amroth. The three guards of the citadel retreated into a siege, but were unable to hold long as the shadow claimed their first stronghold and 2 victory points.

But the free peoples soon had their first counter strike when Faramir's Rangers took out a couple of Sauron's forces in South Ithilien and simultaneously bolstered Gondor's defenses. Pelargir soon fell to the advancing S&E army, and the Witch King entered the fray to begin the assault on Minas Tirith.

Meanwhile the fellowship began making slow and steady progress with the shadow's hunts being unsuccessful. One early reveal of the ring still was unable to corrupt Frodo due to Boromir sounding the Horn of Gondor. Sensing the encroaching darkness on the DEW line, a group of companions including Strider, Gimli, and Pippin made haste to sound the warning. Thanks to the Book of Mazarbul, the dwarves quickly roused the defense and were able to recruit enough forces to feel comfortable defending the ancient dwarven stronghold of Erebor. Strider and Pippin then began the journey south to attempt to reclaim the ranger's birthright as the King of Gondor.

Back in Gondor the surviving forces from an attack on Osgiliath fled to nearby Lossarnach and began to harry the slowly dwindling army besieging the white city. The forces of the shadow were relentless in their assault due to the power of the Witch King supported by Saruman wielding the Palantir or Orthanc. However, the people of Gondor were able to strengthen the forces in Lossarnach and Lameden with more guards which would prove vital to the region's survival.

The sole regiment in Lameden soon moved towards Dol Amroth to sneak attack the one regiment of S&E left to defend the shadow's first prize. The shadow army retreated into a siege awaiting support from the army in Pelargir. Sensing a weakness the Pelargir army began a vicious assault on the forces of Lossarnach, but the free people's scouts were ready this time utilizing their knowledge of the land allowing the entire army to wheel left towards Dol Amroth! The small garrison now cut off from the main army the free people's swiftly combined forces and recaptured the stronghold!

Meanwhile, the forces of Isenguard were hard at work easily destroying the entirety of Rohan's forces in the Fords of Isen and leaving Helm's Deep a ripe target that quickly fell. In the north, the vast S&E army captured Dale and set its sites on Erebor. Despite an incredible offensive, the free peoples army besieged in Erebor and accompanied by Gimli were able to pluck off and weaken the shadow army led by Grond, Hammer of the Underworld to the point of no return. As the remaining members of the fellowship drew ever closer to Mordor, the shadow made a desperate attempt to conquer Middle Earth.

But the shadow was able to gather their armies swiftly, moving forces in Rohan to Gondor to support the recapture effort at Dol Amroth. The city soon fell again bringing the shadow victory point total up to 6 with both Minas Tirith and Erebor under siege. Strider was stuck camping in the hills north of the besieged white city, and despite a late appearance by Gandalf the White the free peoples were in dire peril. The fate of Middle Earth up to the ring bearer's, those remaining stood their ground hoping against hope that they would be successful before the world fell to the shadow.

Mordor being largely emptied, the fellowship at last made their way to Minas Morgul and entered the dark territory of the enemy. At this time the people of Lorien also began to feel tremendous pressure by large hosts approaching from Moria and Dol Guldar. The elves, still unable to muster more units, retreated into the stronghold and prepared for the coming assault.

The fellowship began the climb feeling safe from the gaze of Sauron, but soon Legolas, Merry, and Boromir were all forced to sacrifice their lives for Frodo & Sam. They were nearly there....two more levels to climb. The assault of the shadow continued on all three fronts with the primary focus on felling the elves of Lorien. What happened next was nothing short of miraculous. The deadly strife of the shadow host was a complete failure on both their initial assault and when their leaders whipped them to continue. The bows of the elves were true and every one of them connected in two rounds of combat. The shadow forces were weakened severely with no chance of routing the elves.

Sauron was stunned at finally realizing the ring was so close and turned his terrible gaze upon the fellowship, now being led by Gollum up the final few slopes of Mt. Doom. The ring's weight was becoming too much to bear with corruption up to 7. On, on they went and Give it to uss! were added to the hunt pool as Frodo & Sam made their final push. The final tile was drawn and it was an eye with two dice in the hunt box. The ring was destroyed and Middle Earth rejoiced!

Seriously a great game that could have gone either way several points throughout. We both had a great time and clearly there was a good story here to tell. I'm looking forward to more plays in the future! Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael MS
Australia
DUBBO
NSW
flag msg tools
Check my instagram @feeltheboardgame and Youtube @Feeltheboard
badge
Ouch, my nose.
mbmbmbmbmb
IT´s a epic game. CAn´t wait to play again.
Another thing, the AE it´s the blast!

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
"Yeah, yeah...I know...y-you're Bane. But you...I think you...forgot...
badge
...I'm Batman!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Best game EVAH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hrm, if he was at 6 pts, why did he decide to attack lorien, if he was already besieging erebor and minis tirith?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msyterhe wrote:
hrm, if he was at 6 pts, why did he decide to attack lorien, if he was already besieging erebor and minis tirith?

The forces attacking Erebor were whittled down to just a couple units so their chance at winning that particular stronghold was quite low. The forces attacking Lorien were the full compliment with plenty of leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up!

What route did the Shadow forces take from Rohan to support the recapture effort of Dol Amroth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! If I remember correctly the group that came to reinforce the Dol Amroth effort was moving from Helm's Deep to Edoras and was helped along by one of the events that allow for multiple regions movements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.