Subject: Design Challenge: Mastermind rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, going through Legendary Customs from here and deciding on what to get printed has caused me to feel a lack of members for some of the Teams (ahem...Villains) and racking my brain on how to solve that problem I decided to try and tackle some customs, starting with Mastermind for the Brotherhood.

First off, here's my original ideas for Mastermind:
Mastermind
Brotherhood

Now Hiring
Covert
3 Cost
1 Recruit
Gain a New Recruit.

I Need A...Partner
Covert
3 Cost
Brotherhood: Gain a Sidekick

Negotiation/Intimidation
Instinct
5 Cost
3+ Recruit
You may play the top card of the Villain Deck. If it's a Master Strike or Scheme Twist, you get +2 Recruit.
Brotherhood: You may use Recruit to defeat Villains this turn.

Loyal Followers
Covert
7 Cost
5+ Recruit
New Recruits and Sidekicks you play this turn are not returned to their stacks.

While looking for pics of Jason Wyngarde though, I found very few (good ones at least), so I ended up using his ideas for his daughter Martinique (with one or two changes), so here she is:
Mastermind
Brotherhood

Hired Gun
Tech
3 Cost
1 Attack
Gain a New Recruit

Scout For Henchmen
Covert
3 Cost
2 Recruit
Investigate for a Sidekick card.

Negotiation/Intimidation
Instinct
5 Cost
3+ Recruit
You may play the top card of the Villain Deck. If it's a Master Strike or Scheme Twist, you get +2 Recruit.
Brotherhood: You may use Recruit to defeat Villains this turn.

Goddess
Covert
7 Cost
5+ Recruit
New Recruits and Sidekicks you play this turn are not returned to their stacks.

And While I considered doing his daughter Regan instead of him or Martinique, I felt that she needed to be a bit more different, so here she is:
Lady Mastermind
Brotherhood

Come Here Puppets!
Covert
4 Cost
Whenever a card effect causes you to gain a Sidekick this turn, put that Sidekick into your hand. Gain a Sidekick.

Cannon Fodder
Covert
3 Cost
2 Attack
Covert: Gain a Sidekick.

I Need A...Partner
Covert
6 Cost
3 Recruit
1 Attack
Covert: When you play I Need A...Partner, the next Hero you recruit this turn goes on top of your deck.

Propaganda
Covert
7 Cost
3+ Recruit
Dodge
You get +1 Recruit for each Sidekick you played this turn.

Constructive Criticism is more than welcome, creating Hero cards is out of my element (I'm more of a Villain Group designer) so I could use any7 help others may be able to provide.

I plan on trying to tackle other characters too, these are just my first.

EDIT: Made changes as suggested by dontfeedthegreen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Lady Mastermind one might be a bit over-powered. The two commons would be very powerful together. 5 recruit is quite high for an uncommon, especially with 1 attack and an ability too. You don't usually see more than 3 printed recruit on anything but a rare.

I would drop the uncommon to 3 recruit and then maybe change cannon fodder so it gives 2 attack and only one conditional sidekick (covert: gain a sidekick).

Good to work on the Brotherhood though, they do need filling out.

I would like Blob and Toad as playable characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, I'll fix them tonight. But I'll double check them. Also, somebody actually did blob and toad before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are Regan and Martinique's cards:

Also, I had some new ideas for Jason Wyngarde after finally finding some better pics. Here's the new ideas:

Mastermind (Jason Wyngarde)
Brotherhood

The Whispers
Covert
2 Cost
Gain a New Recruit.
Covert: Gain another New Recruit.

Illusionist
Instinct
3 Cost
2 Recruit
Dodge
Covert: Gain a Sidekick.

Best Laid Plans
Covert
5 Cost
0+ Attack
Covert: Investigate the Villain Deck for a Villain card. You get +Attack equal to that Villain's printed VP. (*=3)

Secret Weapon
Covert
7 Cost
Defeat a Villain for free.
If you defeat a Mastermind this turn, you may choose who is affected by the Fight effect of the Mastermind Tactic.

For the uncommon I thought about giving him recruit as well, in case the top cards don't happen to be Villains (though that is the most likely card type to come up) so it wouldn't be completely useless, but wondered if that would make it too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the final Mastermind set, Jason Wyngarde, with two different artworks for the Uncommon:

I feel the Uncommon may be overpowered, but I also feel that if neither of the top cards happen to be a Villain it's a deadweight card. What does everyone else think?

Next Set...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.