Subject: Simultaneous Play for Reduced Downtime ?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I’ve played just one game at the 3P count, and felt that the game duration was somewhat longer than desirable. 4P would obviously be worse, as many have previously reported.

Since most of what you do in this game is about managing your own affairs and doesn’t impact much on the other players, I’m wondering if the bulk of the actions could be carried out simultaneously by all players, without harming the game?

My (untested) idea, is that the 7 rounds of two turns (a & b) are organised as below. The turn markers aren’t needed, you only need a 1st player marker.

Turn (a)
* 1st player rolls and arranges dice.
* 1st player chooses Guest and refreshes queue. Other players do the same in turn order.
* All players simultaneously do their dice actions and additional actions.
* Remove #dice used.
* Pass 1st player marker to the left.

Turn (b)
* 1st Player chooses Guest and refreshes queue. Other players do the same in turn order.
* All players simultaneously do their dice actions and additional actions.
* Pass 1st player marker to the left.

I’m thinking that the total number of dice in play would probably need to be reduced by 1 to balance the issue that all players have access to an undiminished dice pool.

I’m sorry that this is as yet untested. But any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How can players do their dice actions when your choice of action is affected by how many dice are in the pool?

I won't take a 1 dice coffee/wine action, but I will take a 2.
I will take a 2 coffee/wine to stop you from being able to complete a guest.

A large part of this game is the denying of your opponent the ability to do optimal actions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't exactly work, because the actions that a player takes during their turn can affect the guest row (some guests award another guest). Also, a player must claim the completion of a politics card during their turn. The order of players claiming this makes the difference between 15, 10 or 5 points. If players were taking actions simultaneously, this order of claiming politics points could get confused.

No offense to the OP, but I think that people who complain about downtime in this game are simply being impatient. There is plenty of planning to work out while others take their turns. Pay attention to what your opponents are doing, and assess their strategy. Make a plan A and a plan B, depending on which guests and dice are likely to be available on your next turn. After all that, relax a little and enjoy the company of your playing companions. Talk about something with the other player(s) who are not taking their turn. (Gasp!)

GAH is not a game for people in a hurry. If you want quick individual turns, play Navegador or Great Western Trail. Both have short turns most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice pool gets smaller
Guests change
Someone completing a goal card ahead of you may change your plans

I find that I have trouble planning more than 1 turn before mine because so much changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way too much changes from turn to turn for this to really work. Part of the reason turns take so long is because the player before you can totally blow apart your plan by taking the dice you wanted.

It's like making a shared worker placement game simultaneous play, it would be chaos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Many thanks to everyone for the excellent feedback and for being so gentle on me.

I'm not deterred yet despite all the concerns, and hope to try this sometime. Responding to some of the reservations raised........

Claiming Politics Cards - All would get the same reward if earned on the same turn.
Claiming Extra Guests - If >1 player earns an extra guest, player order decides pecking order. (I realise might be a bit tricky to implement if occurs).
Denying Opponents - Agreed that there will be less of this.

DrumPhil wrote:
No offense to the OP, but I think that people who complain about downtime in this game are simply being impatient.

None taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.