Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Exp 1 gold rush ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW I feel like I'm not the only one looking for the exp1 ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a $61 mounted mapboard for Ancients on Amazon too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty common phenomenon on Amazon. If a game or expansion goes out of print sellers with the few remaining copies hike up their prices to target those with plenty of money and/or who are desperate to get hold of the game. It is not so much of a problem with CC:A or CC:N as GMT seem to reprint fairly regularly and it is usually possible to proxy the expansions with miniatures or DIY blocks provided that you can get hold of the scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's nothing. I saw a copy of one of the ASL Staryer Kits listed for $1000.00!!

I actually contacted that vendor to let him know what a loser he was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
The scenarios are no problem: take a look at commandsandcolors.net/ancients/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
That's nothing. I saw a copy of one of the ASL Staryer Kits listed for $1000.00!!

I actually contacted that vendor to let him know what a loser he was.

---> LOOOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be said, I got all CCN and love it very much! I use to buy and sell many things a year including many game because I like to try things and I only keep the one I prefer.

So I quite never regret selling things but ... CCA is my first great and only regret! I used to own it all and sold it all ... But now I regret. I mean I love and maybe prefer CCN for several reasons but CCA is a diamond as a game with is own qualities!

OK so I'm thinking about rebuying everything but the time to re-stick everything etc ... Ouch! ... I think about maybe buying some generic metal or plastics figures that could fit to any era: Two colors (for the two sides) but no differences of nations for to be able to play the greeks or the romans or the carthaginians with the same medium infantry for exemple ...

Thinking about all this ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thompson
United Kingdom
Southsea
Hampshire
flag msg tools
keitharchaeologist wrote:
This is a pretty common phenomenon on Amazon. If a game or expansion goes out of print sellers with the few remaining copies hike up their prices to target those with plenty of money and/or who are desperate to get hold of the game. It is not so much of a problem with CC:A or CC:N as GMT seem to reprint fairly regularly and it is usually possible to proxy the expansions with miniatures or DIY blocks provided that you can get hold of the scenarios.

It also happens because alot of amazon sellers set prices via bots. So as soon as one price goes up the bots copy. Hell I once saw an increasing price war between two bots. (Bot One)One seemed to be set to sell the next highest price +% (God knows why) and the other (Bot two) was set to %less than the top seller.

So what would happen is bot 1 would set a price, then bot 2 would notice the change and increase its price. Then bot 1 would notice the new price of 2 and increase his price. Then Bot 2 would increase again. And on and on... it was sorta funny in a way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aren't these being reprinted, or at least on the P500 listing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

Indeed: https://www.gmtgames.com/p-628-c-c-ancients-exp-1-greece-eas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crazy.

For Austral(asia)n players there's a stickered and sorted copy available for AUS $65 on the Geekmarket here...same seller seems to have all the other expansions stickered and sorted for reasonable prices, too.

Brent.

N.B. Not advertising, don't know the seller.....just a public service announcement and pointing out there are alternatives to the ludicrous price quoted above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:
Crazy.

For Austral(asia)n players there's a stickered and sorted copy available for AUS $65 on the Geekmarket here...same seller seems to have all the other expansions stickered and sorted for reasonable prices, too.

Brent.

N.B. Not advertising, don't know the seller.....just a public service announcement and pointing out there are alternatives to the ludicrous price quoted above.

... Arg ... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takai wrote:
Minedog3 wrote:

Indeed: https://www.gmtgames.com/p-628-c-c-ancients-exp-1-greece-eas...

Looks like there might be a bit of a wait before they hit the reprint level though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
GGleize wrote:
To be said, I got all CCN and love it very much! I use to buy and sell many things a year including many game because I like to try things and I only keep the one I prefer.

So I quite never regret selling things but ... CCA is my first great and only regret! I used to own it all and sold it all ... But now I regret. I mean I love and maybe prefer CCN for several reasons but CCA is a diamond as a game with is own qualities!

OK so I'm thinking about rebuying everything but the time to re-stick everything etc ... Ouch! ... I think about maybe buying some generic metal or plastics figures that could fit to any era: Two colors (for the two sides) but no differences of nations for to be able to play the greeks or the romans or the carthaginians with the same medium infantry for exemple ...

I'm currently replacing the blocks with 20mm plastic figures and painting them. Using the shield and some cloth colour the same as on the blocks.
Light green Auxiliary green with white edge. Medium Blue warrior blue with white heavy red and generals purple.

Infantry and cavalry 1 miniature replaces 1 block. war machines the crew are the blocks so a unit is the machine and 2 crew.
Chariots and elephants 1 is the unit with crew on magnetic bases and steel paper on the unit so removable.

If you want I can tell you what figures I used so far just the base game Romans are finished and moving through the Carthaginians
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagorman86 wrote:
GGleize wrote:

I'm currently replacing the blocks with 20mm plastic figures and painting them. Using the shield and some cloth colour the same as on the blocks.
Light green Auxiliary green with white edge. Medium Blue warrior blue with white heavy red and generals purple.

Infantry and cavalry 1 miniature replaces 1 block. war machines the crew are the blocks so a unit is the machine and 2 crew.
Chariots and elephants 1 is the unit with crew on magnetic bases and steel paper on the unit so removable.

If you want I can tell you what figures I used so far just the base game Romans are finished and moving through the Carthaginians

TY very much David but as I said: I don't want to represent EACH nation's units but a GENERIC basic unit per color & strenght! For example: To represent ALL the blue medium infantry I look for a SINGLE miniature (I would make the difference with the enemy or with warriors with markers or any paint spot etc.) so I can play the ALL 6 EXPANSIONS with a minimum of miniatures! In fact the two pictures in my post are bad examples because they are "too much" Roman or Greek ... I look for some basic little soldiers who could be more or less both of them from a high point of view!

Regards,
GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would recommend
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=3

Lots of models to choose from and 1/72 plastic is probably the cheapest. I would do 1 army as Republican Rome and the others as Carthaginian.

That way if you want to expand to the other armies you can or you can just use those models for all scenarios.
With buying the plastic box sets instead of individual or small packs of miniatures will leave you with spares these will help to fill out both armies for epic ancients if you go that far.

I'm doing this with ancients based on the success of doing it Napoleonics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi GG

Something like these they are the celts from HATs Carthaginian Allies set
I will use them as warriors for the Carthaginian army but could fit in most armys

4 based on 1.5cmx1.5cm plastic card fit easy in a hex and the base stops them falling over

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe armagno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

miniature in metal 15mm
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/557278/aringarosa

in plastic 20mm (hat à svezda)
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2894057/aringarosa

each army has a base color
(Ocher for the Carthaginians; blue for the Romans, green for Barbarian)

On the base carry the type of unit
(Green, red, blue, green/white, etc)

So I can save the historicity of the miniature itself

;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
aringarosa wrote:

miniature in metal 15mm
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/557278/aringarosa

in plastic 20mm (hat à svezda)
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2894057/aringarosa

each army has a base color
(Ocher for the Carthaginians; blue for the Romans, green for Barbarian)

On the base carry the type of unit
(Green, red, blue, green/white, etc)

So I can save the historicity of the miniature itself

Looks great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.