Matt Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Heavy Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if I'm wrong here or I have missed something in the rules, but I got my copy of fugitive on Fri and played it yesterday. I am confused over the start of the game.
As the fugitive I have cards 1,2,3 (and42) in my hand and on the first turn I don't get to draw any cards at all yet I MUST play 2 hideouts. Of which only 3 combinations (1,2/ 1,3/ 2,3) then the Marshall must guess and has a 33% chance of ending the game immediately by guessing them both; seems rather high chance of winning immediately.

However say I play 1,2 and keep 3 in my hand. Marshall guesses "2" correctly. They immediately know the card below is "1" and the one in my hand is 3. Thus they know everything!! Fugitive then picks up 1 card from low deck and chances of getting a number they can reach is actually quite low. If I choose not to play any hideouts then I've lost instantly as they choose "1" and win. If I play the "3" then they just say "1,3" and they've won.

Is it me or does it just seem a bit hard to get going. I played it 4 times and 3 ended within about 1min, 1 of them instantly. The one game hat got going was actually really really good and we thoroughly enjoyed it. But was wondering what other people's experience was of the start.

Surely it would bring that one more little element of doubt in if the fugitive got to pick a card up on the first turn?! But as it stands they don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
OGDEN
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sorry for the confusion - you deal the fugitive 3 cards from 4-14 pile, and 2 cards from the 15-28 pile in addition to the 1,2,3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Heavy Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah right that makes a lot more sense. In that case it will be phenomenal. Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fubeca wrote:
Sorry for the confusion - you deal the fugitive 3 cards from 4-14 pile, and 2 cards from the 15-28 pile in addition to the 1,2,3

I haven't seen the final rule book, but this was in the rules linked on the kickstarter page. Is this missing from the final rule book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Heavy Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I found it in the rules. I'll hold my hand up and admit to being an idiot and missing that bit completely. Sorry Tim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simpsqo wrote:
Ok I found it in the rules. I'll hold my hand up and admit to being an idiot and missing that bit completely. Sorry Tim.

I'm going to frame this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buttons McBoomboom
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "deal 3 cards from the 4-14 pile and deal 2 cards from the 15-28 pile" is that a new rule? I printed the print and play version and thought the rule was 2/1.

Just wondering...regardless, I'm spreading the word on this game as I backed the 7 game package and will be handing them out as gifts to my local game group. (Along with Paperback!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Wright
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Simpsqo wrote:
However say I play 1,2 and keep 3 in my hand. Marshall guesses "2" correctly. They immediately know the card below is "1" and the one in my hand is 3. Thus they know everything!! Fugitive then picks up 1 card from low deck and chances of getting a number they can reach is actually quite low. If I choose not to play any hideouts then I've lost instantly as they choose "1" and win. If I play the "3" then they just say "1,3" and they've won.

Just another quick thought on this, if the Marshall is making 2 guesses you don't reveal anything if one of the guesses is wrong.

So, even if you had played 1 & 2 as your starting hideouts, if the Marshall guessed 2 you wouldn't reveal anything until both guesses had been made.

I know other comments have been made regarding the start of the game, but I thought this may be another little thing that maybe had been overlooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to start my game! You guys are lucky to have yours. Next week for USA, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Wright
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Strom40 wrote:
I just want to start my game! You guys are lucky to have yours. Next week for USA, I believe.

Only got mine in the UK today and had 1 game, but it was a very tense affair with my wife guessing incorrectly during the manhunt. She'd already made 2 correct guesses and it had come down to the last couple of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also skipped over that part of the rulebook on my first game. I was also confused about how it was possible to do anything as the fugitive. I think the "mistake" was to put the draw cards details as a step in the setup and not in the first turn rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Heavy Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making me feel slightly less of a fool. It is a fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simpsqo wrote:
Thanks for making me feel slightly less of a fool. It is a fantastic game.

No you're still a massive fool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posed the exact question.
About the starting hand.

And it is clearly written in the rule book.
Funny thing, I played three games of it last night (first time playing)
The first I did to explain it to my opponent (wife) and followed it correctly.

Then for some reason (maybe one two many cocktails) on the next two games I forgot that the fugitive also draws 5 more cards.

No wonder the marshall kept catching the fugitive.

So, if the marshall does guess all the current hideout cards palyed then the
Fugitive is caught and the marshall wins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am not mistaken it is not printed on the summary cards?
Just in the rule book?

Fuuny, how one can skip right over that.

What I do is use a highlight pen so it sticks out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.