BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: New Business rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom K
msg tools
Update *** I found the correct spot, thanks!!!!***

Hi,

My wife and I just launched a new business selling board games online and at trade shows. I was wondering if it's okay to mention what I am selling (on ebay for the moment) in this forum, and if so, what is the correct forum to post in (deals?)? I want to follow all the rules so if this is not appropriate then I will be content being a happy member of BBG!

Thanks,

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafens wrote:
Hi,

My wife and I just launched a new business selling board games online and at trade shows. I was wondering if it's okay to mention what I am selling (on ebay for the moment) in this forum, and if so, what is the correct forum to post in (deals?)? I want to follow all the rules so if this is not appropriate then I will be content being a happy member of BBG!

Thanks,

Tom

I think you can post in the retailers section of BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few BGG users who are retailers who have links to their storefronts in the profiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom K
msg tools
Thanks for that! Problem is we are so new at the moment that we dont even have an Ebay "Store Front" just yet. We are listing just as a normal seller. We hope to grow into a store front on ebay then expand to our own dedicated site in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also sell in the BGG Geek Market thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom K
msg tools
I THINK so too, but when I read the description I see;

Please, no offers or ads by sellers.

If I were to list the stuff I have for sale would that be considered an offer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure on that quote but I believe it's making reference to approaching people with games on their wanted list, etc.

I can think of a few online retailers with web presences that also sell through their BGG accounts via the Geek Market.

But please, I'd appreciate someone with better knowledge clarifying this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy is correct. There are a number of retailers selling games via the BGG Marketplace, but that is not a problem as long as the sales are in a straightforward format i.e. games for sale with condition, price etc. listed and offered by a marketplace seller. What is not wanted is a retailer plastering company names, ad banners etc. all over the Marketplace. Keep it simple basically.

I would also suggest that selling via BGG is easier, cheaper and reaches a dedicated audience, as well as there being no time limit to any listing. Obviously we don't have the potential exposure that ebay can offer, but, hey, you will be talking to a knowledgeable and captive group of people.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting for an admin to step in with the official line, but here's an extract from the BGG Rules ( https://boardgamegeek.com/community_rules ):
Quote:
Advertising and other Self-Promotion

Promoting goods or services in which you have a personal stake is not permitted

- This includes any crowdfunding campaigns (e.g. kickstarter, indigogo), whether or not you created the campaign yourself.
- This includes giving incentives in return for users manipulating site stats - this can also result in the manipulated content being removed from the site.
- Advertising a promotional contest held on another site falls under the same rules as holding an unofficial contest detailed above.
- A new product or service relevant to the topic of this site may be announced in a single post in the Press Releases forum. Contact the Community Manager if you have questions about if your post is appropriate.
- Promoting sales you have in the Marketplace is not permitted without explicit permission from the Community Manager
- Promoting a current geeklist auction is permitted in the Geekbay forum. The geeklist itself must include language stating that you will pay the 3% commission on sales facilitated by the site, as required by the Terms of Service.
- Forum moderators have the final say in determining whether a given post is inappropriate.

I am not an admin, I may have this wrong, but I believe that you may put items up for sale in the Marketplace (where BGG receives a commission on sales). But you may not use the Marketplace to promote or link to a sale on another site (such as ebay).
And while I think you can mention your store in your own user profile I'm not sure about putting a link there. Others may have, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's OK, it may just mean that it hasn't come to the attention of the admins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've come across numerous listings in the marketplace that were placed there by commercial operations. Whether or not it's against the rules I can't really say, but it certainly seems that if it is against the rules, it isn't being policed. (I always assumed it wasn't against the rules because of how prevalent this practice is.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom K
msg tools
Thanks for this! I will not give out the link to our FB or eBay page in our profile.It seems the best thing we can do is;
1. Ask BGG about official advertising (seeing as we have little cash for that I doubt we can afford it...yet!).
2. Rely on good service/product/pricing in the hopes that someone mentions us here.

I have already made a mis-post by mistake, and I apologize for that. I pulled it as soon as I realized it...less then 2 min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafens wrote:
1. Ask BGG about official advertising (seeing as we have little cash for that I doubt we can afford it...yet!).

Some ads are very inexpensive, like the price of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.