Machi Koro» Forums » Variants

Subject: More fun w/o speciality buildings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Baker
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Played a four-player game last night. Three of the four (includes me) seemed to agree that we should try playing w/o the specialty buildings (stadium, tv station, business center) because it seemed to snowball pretty quickly.

Has anyone tried this? What was the outcome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe those buildings are generally regarded as among the weaker ones in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game can be "House Ruled" in any way you want and that's enjoyable for you even if others here may try to marginalize your efforts.

For me, My wife hates the red cards so I snatch those up pretty quick which in turns forces her to race after them, too. She has now started to play the game more aggressively (as it's intended to be played) but yes, we did consider taking out the red cards at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baker
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yeah, I'm not too worried about "marginalization." We definitely play games per the manual at first but then modify to make it more fun for us.

Thanks for including the perspective of playing w/ your wife. My wife is one of the reasons I'm considering taking out some of those cards that force players to give you coins. We end up being WAY too competitive and things tend to carry over after the game's over. We thought it would be better when there are more players but the speciality buildings still seem to steamroll other players pretty frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
You have acknowledged the rule that says each player may only have one of each purple building, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baker
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yeah. Didn't realize that on the first play-through but the game last night we used it and the buildings STILL felt too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
The game can be "House Ruled" in any way you want and that's enjoyable for you even if others here may try to marginalize your efforts. . .

Yep. We use all of the cards, because the purple cards sort of offset the red cards. I'm not a fan of the Business Center, but I don't exclude it. The Tax Office can be annoying, but it is a way for the players who've fallen behind to catch up to the leaders.

We're not particularly enamored with the Millionaires' Row expansion, but we are considering adding some of the cards like Corn Field, Vineyard, and Winery to the regular mix just to see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baker
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Nice. I haven't looked into any xpacs until I'm sure if the game will "stick" w/ my group of friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
I commonly redraw any purple cards at the beginning of the game.

I would say maybe consider that, or scaling down the number of purples in deck before completely taking them out.

We find it more fun when people buy them up and hope for the lucky roll to shift the momentum in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.