Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Perschbacher
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm wanting to paint the gloomhaven minis, but i don't have any paints, primes, or brushes, nothing.

Can someone guide me on what to purchase to have the bare minimum for painting these minis. (including having a dry brush look).

Thanks!
Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty open question and I'm sure everyone will have a different answer. But I'd start here:

https://www.amazon.com/Reaper-Miniatures-08906-Learn-Paint/d...

Reaper bones are basically the same as the mini's in Gloomhaven (bones are more white, but after priming it's all the same). This includes paint and brushes for only $30. This will not be the best stuff by a long shot, but if you've never printed before, it's an easy place to start.

That said, I'd practice on a reaper bones mini for your first attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you want to achieve.

1) single playing piece (think chess)
there you could get away with grounding, an ink and something to drybrush for all pieces in the same style.

2) multi color playing pieces
basically 1) however with a triplet for each mini in their main/dashboard color

3) individual minis
you end up with needing quite a large range of colors depending on the paint schemes you plan to use.

(there are probably some other options in between)
Actually, I personally wouldn't recommend Gloomhaven as a prime candidate for building up your paint supplies gradually. While the limited number of minis is enticing to start with, however they are all, as far as I have seen them, quite different, meaning you will end up with quite a number of paints without using that much per pot itself.
Not wanting to discourage anyone, just as a financial warning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Auschrat
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby!

So initially it's going to be quite a bit of money to get everything you need to slap some color on those mini's.

I'm going to to try to not be brand specific so feel free to pick up whatever you want. Some of the more popular brands are Citadel and Valejo.

- White Primer spray can (And black if you want)
- 3 or 4 brushes. Get some detail brushes and some bigger ones. I also went to the dollar store and bought some cheap brushes that I use just for dry brushing.
- Paints. This is going to be mostly up to you depending on what colors you want to paint your guys. I'd get a set of all the main colors to start off with.
- A dark wash. Eg Citadels Nuln Oil, not sure what Valejo's equivalent is called.
- You could also invest in some washs if you have extra money laying around. These are watered down colors that you can use to shade you minis after you get a base coat on them. You could also just use Nuln Oil to do the same thing, although with will give them a dirty look, which might be what you are going after. Eventually if you want to get a bit more serious, you'l need washes.
- a little mixing palette. Again go to the dollar store for this.

That should be good enough to get you started. Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions.
- A can of sealer to protect your mini when you are done painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Imperium - coming sometime
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Randy, although you could go with a limited palette of base colours and mix the ones you're missing just use an old plate or shallow plastic lid) - just learn to work quickly as they will dry sooner than you expect (yes, there are inhibitors to slow paint drying time, and medium to thin rather than water, but here we're talking starting out).

If you want some help - games workshop stores often run painting demos, of course they'll be 'encouraging' you to buy miniatures there and their paints ... but if you're assertive enough not to end up spending $$$ on paint and figures you don't want might help.

Another alternative is just go with some washes, and ink the figures in a mono-colour suitable for that class. Eg. Mechs and Minions went with that for the minions straight out of the box, just a black ink wash, which gives some sense of depth. Then seal them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Franklin
United States
Clinton
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would first ask what your intentions are...

Are you looking to get into the painting hobby and have other board games you want to paint in the future or are you ONLY looking to paint Gloomhaven?

If you are interested in getting into the hobby then I would say take a look at the Miniature Painters Guild. There are a LOT of excellent posts over there to help people getting into the hobby and experienced painters alike. Also, I would highly recommend looking into Warcolours for your paints and brushes. Their paint quality is top notch (it's been my personal favorite over Reaper and Citadel, although they don't have as many shades yet), and I've really enjoyed their brushes. Most people would recommend W&N Series 7, and they are certainly great brushes, but I've lately found myself using my Warcolors brush more and more, but I still swap between the two a lot.

However, given that painting can be rather expensive to get into, if you ONLY plan on painting Gloomhaven, it's probably not worth the price of entry to get the high quality stuff unless you just have a ton of extra you don't mind wasting. In this case, I would just head to Wal-Mart and pick up their store brand paints and brushes. You'll have to mix a lot of colors (which isn't nearly as difficult as you might think) and the brushes won't last very long, but given such a small project, this will do you just fine and save you a ton of money in the long run.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I'm happy to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Arlington

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started painting recently as well because of the Gloomhaven minis. Lots of good suggestions already in this thread. In addition to those, I can throw in my personal experience.

I think probably any spray primer will do. I bought one called Gesso.

For paints I got a box of 20 different acrylics for about $15 at Michael's, as well as a few cheap miscellaneous metallics from the craft paints. They aren't the best, but they are serviceable. Some of the colors need two coats. I also still had to mix some colors, but that is easy enough.

For brushes I got a decent detailing brush for about $3, and a package of other miscellaneous brushes.

Got a brush on glossy varnish and matte varnish, though you don't need both. The matte was still very shiny. After realizing that, I got a can of Testor's Dullcote spray varnish. I do one or two coats of brush on varnish for protection, then spray with the Dullcote to get rid of the shininess.

You can buy pre made washes or inks for washing, but the cheap alternative that I use is a combination of the same acrylic paints you already have, water, and a little bit of dish soap.

I have images in my gallery if you want to see how the craft paints and home made washes turned out. (Keep in mind I'm also a beginner )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a noob painter myself, but I would suggest paints in dropper bottles rather than pots to extend their life (since you won't be painting a lot right away). Along those same lines, I would also buy or build a wet palette so you can take your time while painting (keeps your paint from drying out after you dispense it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
steele22374 wrote:
This is a pretty open question and I'm sure everyone will have a different answer. But I'd start here:

Reaper also has a second LTPK for flesh: https://www.amazon.com/Reaper-Bones-Learn-Paint-Layer/dp/B01...

Not only will you learn to paint, but you don't have to do all that research trying to find which paints to get (especially when you'll be getting tons of different suggestions!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I thought it costs a lot of money to start painting miniatures, but it's actually pretty cheap, if you don't plan on painting full armies with models that are high detail and need precise color consistency.

So for painting dungeon crawlers this completely suffices:

1 primer (black for muted colors and less need for precise color-coverage, white for vibrant colors but needs good color-coverage)

8-10 colors: (basic colors) white, black, red, yellow, blue, (you know you will need a lot of brown and it's more complicated to mix) brown, and of course flesh and metal. Personally I also got gold and turquiose (to get more vibrant blues and greens). This enables you to mix every color.

~2 brushes (1 for fine detail, one for base color applyment and drybrushing) of good quality (~3$ per brush).

Then just "build" a wet palate out of some sort of tupper-ware like object with a flat bottom: cut 2 napkins to cover the bottom of your tupperware, put water into the tupperware so it raises just a little bit above your napkins and put a baking paper on top of the napkins.

If you use this wet palate you can easily mix colors and they stay applyable for hours (dependent on the amount of water in the tupper-ware) instead of a few minutes. It literally costs under 1$ and can be perpared in less than 2min.

Once I finished my 3-hero party, I maybe will post pictures to show that working with only 8 colors and a wet palate does enhance the color-rhichness of your figures more than it minimizes it, because you get really good in mixing the excact color you want pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Perschbacher
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! I'll post the end product!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.