Popular Tags: [View All]
David Peterson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay folks - I'm officially changing my mind on this expansion. It totally lopsides the game, particularly if you play it with the Cathedral expansion. It allows one player to get too many points and I think throws the scoring system out of the fine balance of the original game. We pretty much never play with this expansion anymore - but we do use the extra few tiles still. In fact the only time we ever use this expansion is to see if it really is as lop sided as we remember it - and it always is. I'd still get it just for the new tiles, but the rest of it I can live without.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re:Changing my mind
davidgpeterson (#26769),

I agree (but I think that is the SECOND expansion that makes King & Thief broken pieces).
I've tried to fix the problem in this way: King gets only half point for each completed town and Thief only half point for each completed road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peterson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to give that a shot. In fact, I think this goes back even further as we're finding that more often than not, whoever gets a city with a cathedral in it is the winner.

Luke the Flaming (#27753),

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sigh.
badge
Yawn.
mbmbmbmbmb
davidgpeterson (#26769),

I'm not sure. We played today with the King&Thief twice. In both cases, the game was decided by farming. In the second game, I finished a large city very early, which lead me to aggressively stunt other cities for much of the game. However, I won by farming. So far, neither the King nor Theif have been the deciding factor, but it has changed how people have played. I'm still undecided. We were playing 3 player games, too, which means that those peices are less powerful as each player scores higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peterson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played last night. I was in dead a** last with eight (yes 8) points about 3/4 of the way throught the game. I completed a very large city with a cathedral in it and got the "King" tile. I also had 3 incomplete cloisters, 25 points worth of farm land (5 cities with a pig) and a monopoly on barrels.

I didn't win BUT just by completing the city and getting the King tile I went from a very very distant fourth place to a very very clear second place...just from those two things. My other scores were for the most part a wash with the other players.

The opinion of my group is still out on these new tiles. It's funny because it seems as though new expansions keep coming out to balance the previous one - hence inns and cathedrals is kind of balanced by King and Scout. But it appears that there now needs to be yet another expansion to balance K&S...who knows. Still love the game though.

Enjoy
D

Mark.Watson (#28059),

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.