Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I am wondering if maybe it is just my copy since I can't seem to find any other complaints here, but the cards have so much friction that they are a complete hassle to handle and manage. Is this a known issue with this production or did I just get unlucky?

Are the new KS cards going to be the same. I gotta say, it really puts a damper on what otherwise I find to be a cool game.

So am I the only one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine were only like that at first when I opened it. They were fine after a bit of handling and shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are like that too, and it's quite annoying. I have played some and haven't noticed a decrease. I think sleeving is going to be required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, but after a few sessions, it seems to have diminished a bit. I assume that trend will continue. The creature cards, for example, have definitely become easier to shuffle since you do it consistently. Item cards are still a work in progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bethany
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine handled fine. I definitely got the second print run of the base game, in case that makes a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine came from the second print run. I need to play more and see if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gough
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "sticky" card stock was only used for the 1st edition of the game.

2nd and 3rd editions have eliminated this - although, sleeving is a good idea anyway for a game that needs a lot of shuffling, and will get rid of the stickiness anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greasykid1 wrote:

2nd and 3rd editions have eliminated this - although, sleeving is a good idea anyway for a game that needs a lot of shuffling, and will get rid of the stickiness anyway.

Are you sure about that? The box I have says 2nd Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
vanrydergames wrote:
greasykid1 wrote:

First edition is glossy, 2nd and third are matte finish (sticky one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
vanrydergames wrote:
greasykid1 wrote:

First edition is glossy, 2nd and third are matte finish (sticky one)

Stephen, does that mean the new KS will suffer from this same issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The new kickstarter uses the matte finish. I don't personally find it an issue, though. The stickiness wears off after use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had any long term issues with my copy (4 total plays). I actually quite like the matte finish, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Fadigan
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
ssgibson wrote:
The new kickstarter uses the matte finish. I don't personally find it an issue, though. The stickiness wears off after use.

Stephen,

I plan on introducing the Core Game to my Play Group this weekend, as we've been looking for a game that can be played 1v1, but can accommodate multiplayer and teams.

Grimslingers seems to be just that game.

But - we frequently will have more than six players, so we'll be wanting to add some characters, and elemental spells to our collection.

If I pick up a "Duels" deck, will I have everything I need to play 4v4?
Is there any issue with the card finish, or rules, when mixing the Duel deck into the Core?

If the game gets any real traction with my group, we'll also be getting the XP this month.

Would it be better to wait for THAT, for adding characters to our Core?

I'm hoping to do BOTH, but don't want to crack a Duel Deck, and find out that it's fairly stand-alone. I'm only gonna need it, if I can easily slide it into my current set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ACE23 wrote:
ssgibson wrote:

Stephen,

I plan on introducing the Core Game to my Play Group this weekend, as we've been looking for a game that can be played 1v1, but can accommodate multiplayer and teams.

Grimslingers seems to be just that game.

But - we frequently will have more than six players, so we'll be wanting to add some characters, and elemental spells to our collection.

If I pick up a "Duels" deck, will I have everything I need to play 4v4?
Is there any issue with the card finish, or rules, when mixing the Duel deck into the Core?

If the game gets any real traction with my group, we'll also be getting the XP this month.

Would it be better to wait for THAT, for adding characters to our Core?

I'm hoping to do BOTH, but don't want to crack a Duel Deck, and find out that it's fairly stand-alone. I'm only gonna need it, if I can easily slide it into my current set.

Grimslingers: Duels has the glossy cardstock, which may cause some slight issues if you own the second edition of the core game (with the matte finish). This issue is fixed if you sleeve the cards, however.

The core game goes up to 6 players, duels can make it go up to 8. Unless you're playing in teams, free-for-alls get really crazy with 5 or more players. That's just the nature of it. Some folks like the chaos, some don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Williams
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this to be very off-putting...as in, I'm not buying the game after playing it.

The fun of searching for an item becomes a pain because I have to flipbook the cards because they wont fan.

"Choose a spell" becomes, "pick the first one you see".

I was looking forward to this but after playing it tonight, this is so frustrating, it makes the game less fun.

Also, games shouldn't have to be sleeved to be playable. They should come that way out of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gough
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards in my games get sleeved, regardless of the type of game or card stock ... so this really wasn't an issue for me.

I understand the concerns, but I'd really advise giving the game another chance. The game design is really great, with the options of adding in extra spells, archetypes and items (or any combination of those), just for the PvP version giving so much variation in strategy. And the campaign - I'm only 1 hour into it, but that is also extremely well written.

Don't let a first impression based on components ruin a game that will give you many hours of unique experience and a bunch of fun.

The core games has about 280 cards, so can be sleeved really cheaply. Amazon have 1,000 clear Ultra Pro sleeves for about £7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.