Subject: City events closing attractions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luuk Van Aken
Canada
Lacombe
Alberta
flag msg tools
We had a city event that said any attractions with washrooms are closed. Do they just close during the events phase if they already have washrooms or would they also close if washrooms would be built on it during the park phase in that round?
We also had an event that said to close all attractions without guest services. Would they instantly reopen during park phase when guest services are built on them?
We played that they would open/close during park phase since the city card said during this round and round lasts from events phase all the way till cleanup phase. Just want to make sure we played it right, not really clear if attractions can open/close during parks phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah yes, I'd like to know this too. Wife and I argued about it the other night, decided that if you build a bathroom during that round, the ride is immediately closed, which doesn't make sense to me, but the event text seems to imply that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play this as yes, and yes. The city cards affect the entire round, so building a washroom on a ride mid-round would close that attraction per the city card. So build it somewhere else where your star value is lower. Likewise, adding a guest services upgrade to a ride would immediately re-open that ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
We play this as yes, and yes. The city cards affect the entire round, so building a washroom on a ride mid-round would close that attraction per the city card. So build it somewhere else where your star value is lower. Likewise, adding a guest services upgrade to a ride would immediately re-open that ride.

my answer would be no and no. The City Event is a one time thing that happens during the Event phase. Although since some events have ongoing effects, I can see this one being ruled the other way.

As for a closed ride, only the end of the round or a Giant Wad of Cash opens a ride (and some other card effects). The Event isn't "all attractions without a ___ remain closed" it's "close attraction X that meets this condition" Changing the status of the attraction w.r.t. the condition doesn't mean the attraction opens since the closing was a one time event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
Events (including City events and Park card abilities that take place in the Events step) all take effect immediately, unless they specifically have a step indicator to show they apply to a different step, or have some other indicator of an extended duration.

So all closure notices from the City, for example, are enforced at the time they are received, but no-one comes back to check what you do after that time, the inspection is done. You can build a new one, reopen the old one, demolish the offending item - too late, enforcement has already occurred.

So The Drainage Crisis immediately closes all attractions that currently have Restrooms, but doesn't create an ongoing Restroom closure effect, as contrasted with Jaded Youth, which says that in the Guests step leisure rides score no stars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
Events (including City events and Park card abilities which take place in the Events step) all take effect immediately, unless they specifically have a step indicator to show they apply to a different step, or have some other indicator of an extended duration.

So all closure notices from the City, for example, are enforced at the time they are received, but no-one comes back to check what you do after that time, the inspection is done. You can build a new one, reopen the old one, demolish the offending item - too late, enforcement has already occurred.

So The Drainage Crisis immediately closes all attractions that currently have Restrooms, but doesn't create an ongoing Restroom closure effect, as contrasted with Jaded Youth, which says that in the Guests step leisure rides score no stars.

so does this confirm that nothing would open/close based on purchases made during the park steps (or from events played after the City Event reveal). That is, closed is closed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. City events don't create ongoing effects unless they specifically say they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luuk Van Aken
Canada
Lacombe
Alberta
flag msg tools
joelfinch wrote:
Events (including City events and Park card abilities that take place in the Events step) all take effect immediately, unless they specifically have a step indicator to show they apply to a different step, or have some other indicator of an extended duration.

Top [art of city card reads "this round each player is affected by". we assumed a round lasts from events phase all the way till cleanup, so that's why we thought the attraction should close if restrooms are added during park phase (drainage crisis) and open if guest cervices are added (new safety standards). I guess it doesn't really matter either way as long as all players agree to which way the cards are interpreted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luuk Van Aken
Canada
Lacombe
Alberta
flag msg tools
oops supposed to be top part, not top [art
(that's why its important to proof read before clicking submit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LuukVA wrote:
Top [art of city card reads "this round each player is affected by". we assumed a round lasts from events phase all the way till cleanup, so that's why we thought the attraction should close if restrooms are added during park phase (drainage crisis) and open if guest cervices are added (new safety standards). I guess it doesn't really matter either way as long as all players agree to which way the cards are interpreted.

Ah yes, I can understand that interpretation.

That text was added to clarify earlier confusion about:
- whether the event applied to everyone
- whether the event lasted longer than one round

Thanks for pointing it out, we may be able to address that with a rulebook clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luuk Van Aken
Canada
Lacombe
Alberta
flag msg tools
So I guess some of the city cards should read "during this city event step" instead then?
But like I said it was not really a big deal for us. (I reasoned with the group I played with that I should be able to open an attraction by adding guest services since they said that I should close another attraction for adding restrooms a previous round. We all agreed with this since we couldn't find anything in the rulebook that would indicate otherwise. I just forced me to build restrooms a round later than I wanted to satisfy a blueprint and pay money to add guest services to attractions I wasn't really planning to expand. I still ended up second in final scoring out of four players so it didn't really affect me too much. Just wonder if scoring would have been different if I could have built up my big attraction more instead of building to open the other 2.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.