Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

One Deck Dungeon» Forums » General

Subject: Solo...too difficult? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
What's your opinions on the difficulty of this game played solo?

I know there's a new 'easy' mode, but I've no interest in playing the game that way. I'm also not close to having any of my characters maxed out with campaign skills and boosts...so I don't know how significant of a boost that'll be.

I did finally take down the easiest (Dragon's Cave) dungeon last night...and that felt great! I played the warrior and was engaging every encounter I could, was rolling an insane amount of dice and had some amazing skills. By the time I got to the dragon, I felt so over powered it wasn't even funny lol. I was rolling like 14 or 15 dice (with 2 being heroic), still had a potion, was at level 4 and only had a couple of health tokens on me.
The dragon was very easy to slay in 2 turns.

But that felt like a lot of luck going my way. I got some very strong dice rolls early game which landed me a couple of amazing skills early one (one which let me turn any of my dice into 4's by spending 1 agility die...another that let me spend 3 attacking/yellow dice to give myself a 5 dice of each of the 3 colors...and then I got to change one of those into a 6)...and yeah, it was just a super fun, quick play.

But that feels rare to me. I tend to have some pretty bad rolls.
And then today I tried to do a medium difficulty dungeon (hydra)..and though I did manage to make it to the hydra, I got destroyed completely after just a single turn staring down the boss.

Seems impossible at this point. Let alone the most difficult of dungeons >.<'

What do you guys think? Ia this too difficult of a game solo?
I'm still enjoying the game an incredible amount...one of the coolest solo games I've ever played.
Will fully campaigning my character out really make all the difference?
Have any of you won medium or hard level dungeons?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I don't think it's too difficult, but I do think solo is almost tailor made to play on a campaign. I have not beaten any of the harder dungeons yet; my plan is to fill out my warrior's campaign sheet a bit more and then go in for a medium dungeon. I am trying out a couple of other characters in 1P first before I commit to the warrior. (I did try solo 2P with the warrior and the mage and I really did not like the way that play through felt, so I am going back to solo 1P.)

Edit: Also, it is a dice chucker, so if the dice hate you on any given run through, you are going to die. There's no helping that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is challenging, but I wouldn't say it's too hard. I think it's important that the true solo mode be difficult. It's hard enough that if you just play solo with no campaign mode you will be thoroughly challenged. If that proves to be too difficult then you can go to using two characters or start a campaign and get some of the campaign perks. I'm not familiar with the easy mode, but sounds like another option.

I have found the easy dungeons to be pretty beatable when using two characters. I have beat an easy dungeon solo, but that was with some campaign perks. I think the campaign perks are small, but those small differences make a big impact on a game where one or two rolls can really hurt you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
twitch77 wrote:
I know there's a new 'easy' mode, but I've no interest in playing the game that way.

...

Seems impossible at this point. Let alone the most difficult of dungeons >.<'

What do you guys think? Ia this too difficult of a game solo?

Can you help me understand why, if you think the game is "too difficult", you wouldn't want to use a mode that makes it a bit less difficult?

I believe the mode is called "novice", because it sure doesn't make it "easy" to win...even against the dragon. At least not when you are learning the game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hill
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the nature of the way randomness is incorporated means that you need a strong amount of luck to win. So in that way yes I'd say it's very difficult because some states simply cannot be solved without rolling 6s. But too difficult is subjective - some people like it.

I'd say Too Difficult is Galaxy defenders combat. First you have a high chance to miss on the attack dice, expend ammo AND jam - then high health targets with absorbing defense similar to armor boxes have a chance to roll defense dice for each hit you rolled (more or around 50/50 chance of canceling your hit) so you may score really well, roll a lot of dice, get a lot of hits, jam your weapon and lose ammo in the process (which in some scenarios is not recoverable) and have all hits or everything but 1 hit cancelled by common defense rolls, only to be absorbed by armor, and this enemy might have 4 health. That I think is too difficult, and the game is I think worse off for it (I like the game, but find the combat to be uncharacteristically difficult that it detracts from the entertainment of the campaign) ODD doesn't even come close to this level of harsh, and I've lost ODD a lot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peakhope wrote:

Can you help me understand why, if you think the game is "too difficult", you wouldn't want to use a mode that makes it a bit less difficult?

I believe the mode is called "novice", because it sure doesn't make it "easy" to win...even against the dragon. At least not when you are learning the game.


I just don't like it. I want to feel like I really earn each victory I get. I'm the same way with video games...I've never been one to enjoy using cheat codes either.
I don't give myself the extra check marks for the campaign either like the updated rule book suggests.

And I don't necessarily dislike the game cause it's so tough. I just got done playing yet another 2 games of it (losing both haha) and am actually quite loving it. It's the most enjoyable solo game I've personally played so far.
Really looking forward to being fully upgraded with my campaign sheet to see how much of a difference that makes.

The difficulty just frustrates me a bit. There's difficult...and then there's damn near impossible...and this game feels like it's damn near impossible on the tougher dungeons to me...which is discouraging.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amyotheramy wrote:
Also, it is a dice chucker, so if the dice hate you on any given run through, you are going to die. There's no helping that.


HillKing wrote:
I think the nature of the way randomness is incorporated means that you need a strong amount of luck to win.


I think you're both spot on with this.
I'm actually surprised at how much I like this game given that it's so highly dependent on luck. All the leveling up and gaining more dice and cool abilities makes me forget how luck driven the game is lol.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
twitch77 wrote:
peakhope wrote:
Can you help me understand why, if you think the game is "too difficult", you wouldn't want to use a mode that makes it a bit less difficult?

I just don't like it. I want to feel like I really earn each victory I get. I'm the same way with video games...I've never been one to enjoy using cheat codes either.

Ok. Just so I understand, if the rules had named the 4 modes: (standard, veteran, fearless, and insane), instead of (novice, standard, veteran, and fearless), then you would be happy playing on "standard"?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
peakhope wrote:
twitch77 wrote:
I know there's a new 'easy' mode, but I've no interest in playing the game that way.

...

Seems impossible at this point. Let alone the most difficult of dungeons >.<'

What do you guys think? Ia this too difficult of a game solo?

Can you help me understand why, if you think the game is "too difficult", you wouldn't want to use a mode that makes it a bit less difficult?

I believe the mode is called "novice", because it sure doesn't make it "easy" to win...even against the dragon. At least not when you are learning the game.


OP means easy=novice=campaigning, and asks outside of campaigning (i.e. solo)if game is too difficult. I tend to think yes the game is too hard solo, and it is meant to play in campaign mode. This does not mean the game takes longer than solo, it just means that after sufficient deaths you 'level up'.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kosterix wrote:
OP means easy=novice=campaigning, and asks outside of campaigning (i.e. solo)if game is too difficult.

Novice mode, while easier, is not "easy". And novice mode is completely separate from campaign mode. And novice mode can be used solo or 2p. So I don't understand the = = and i.e. there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peakhope wrote:
twitch77 wrote:
peakhope wrote:
Can you help me understand why, if you think the game is "too difficult", you wouldn't want to use a mode that makes it a bit less difficult?

I just don't like it. I want to feel like I really earn each victory I get. I'm the same way with video games...I've never been one to enjoy using cheat codes either.

Ok. Just so I understand, if the rules had named the 4 modes: (standard, veteran, fearless, and insane), instead of (novice, standard, veteran, and fearless), then you would be happy playing on "standard"?


No.

And I'm not saying that novice makes the game easy. I know it doesn't. I'm just saying that I want the extra challenge that I get without using the novice option.

I'm also not trying to say I dislike this game because of the difficulty. I've put in many hours this month playing it solo and have had a great time with it.
I'm just expressing some frustrations I guess. It is possible to be frustrated with things, while still enjoying them a great deal.

I think what I'd LOVE to see happen, is for further 1 dot (easy) level dungeons to come out down the road. Or for people much smarter than me (doesn't take much! lol) to start coming out with and sharing their own custom 1 dots.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've also become quite convinced that a lot of the difficulties I'm having right now...are due to me not making the optimal choices and decisions with how to use my skills and dice. There's often times where I'll have a few skills that let me swap dice for others...and there's always the option to trade 2 of any die for a heroic...and I don't take as much time with this as I really probably should and am sure I'm often times not doing things in the best possible way...which leads me to taking extra damage and losing much needed time.

I need to really start planning things out better.
#Noob

p.s.
goodness this game is great! lol so glad I happened upon it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Okay, so I've been playing a TON of this game solo these last couple of weeks...lol I can't get enough of it.

I am now maxed out on the combat focus in the campaign, and I can tell you...it makes a HUGE difference in the difficulty of this game.
At least with the warrior (haha I haven't even played any of the other classes yet!).
The ability to reroll all 1 & 2 yellow/attack dice has been huge for me, as has the ability to add 1 to any of my dice I roll. The additional heroic 3 each encounter is dang nice as well...and being able to equip an additional item is a HUGE plus.
I still struggle sometimes with perils early game...haha wouldn't it be nice if I could only use some of my combat focus abilities during perils! That heroic 3 die alone would go a LONG ways.

I've also started using a new strategy. Before I was focusing on getting as many skills and items as I could get my grubby hands on.
Now I focus on getting items, but only picking up really important skills or potions and collecting a lot of exp instead. My goal is to hit level 4 before facing the bosses...those 2 heroic dice at level 4 are great. And with the campaign, you can carry 8 items. I'm usually throwing about 18 dice per round by the time I get to a boss lately...and I try to keep things pretty well rounded. I aim for 6 or 7 yellow/attack, 4 or 5 pink/agility and 4 blue/magic dice.

And it's common for me to just have 2 or 3 skills (besides the basic skill from the campaign).

I feel SO insanely powerful usually midway through the second floor of a dungeon anymore. I tend to fight every monster that comes up without pause...though I will skip a peril once in awhile. That's my big weakness (with the warrior).

I love this game lol.
Looking forward to trying a new class out. Think I'll go with the mage next!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Paolucci
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first two games (solo mode, single character, non-campaign, easy dungeon, Warrior). I got decimated, and to make matters worse, I had also been forgetting to pay the die costs for using the various skills! I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to winning board games, but i'm not a total idiot either. Overall I feel this game is hard. Even with optimal play, it seems really luck driven due to the dice. I found a few times I couldn't reasonably fight any of the 4 of the revealed cards. It's a great game, but man, I guess I need to strategize better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Paolucci
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WarrenPaolucci wrote:
I just played my first two games (solo mode, single character, non-campaign, easy dungeon, Warrior). I got decimated, and to make matters worse, I had also been forgetting to pay the die costs for using the various skills! I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to winning board games, but i'm not a total idiot either. Overall I feel this game is hard. Even with optimal play, it seems really luck driven due to the dice. I found a few times I couldn't reasonably fight any of the 4 of the revealed cards. It's a great game, but man, I guess I need to strategize better.


I found another mistake I was making. Playing using the 2p side. Doh!



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WarrenPaolucci wrote:
WarrenPaolucci wrote:
I just played my first two games (solo mode, single character, non-campaign, easy dungeon, Warrior). I got decimated, and to make matters worse, I had also been forgetting to pay the die costs for using the various skills! I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to winning board games, but i'm not a total idiot either. Overall I feel this game is hard. Even with optimal play, it seems really luck driven due to the dice. I found a few times I couldn't reasonably fight any of the 4 of the revealed cards. It's a great game, but man, I guess I need to strategize better.


I found another mistake I was making. Playing using the 2p side. Doh!





That makes the game nearly impossible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.