Popular Tags: [View All]
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently we can be under surveillance through our microwaves. Who knew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
When farce chases and consumes ridiculous... the "circle of alt-life"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Who the hell has a camera in their microwave?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

I love the idea of Trump hearing this shit and spending all day microwaving cameras in his search for the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

(every microwave ever made-every microwave ever made) x 0= your answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
LMAO. Thank you!

I can't believe she's really that stupid but when you're trying to cover up for stupid, I guess the only answer is more bigly stupid.

Be careful of those new-fangled refrigerators, too! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder where she saw that article. Maybe she misspoke and meant that Microsoft puts microphones in microwaves. That makes (al)litteraly more sense. I've heard that Cambodians put cameras in camisoles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're through the cooking glass here. people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you can't walk, crawl. If you can't crawl..... well, you know the rest.
badge
Any game is the right game with the right crowd.
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

I go back and forth from watching eaglets hatch, grow, and take flight to watching you pop popcorn. The internet is amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
OriginalDM wrote:
aiabx wrote:

I go back and forth from watching eaglets hatch, grow, and take flight to watching you pop popcorn. The internet is amazing!

Well, I can't fault you there. Watching me find the balance between unpopped kernels and a charred stinking mass is pretty hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

I do, but I have to confess...it's aimed toward the White House.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She's not wrong, you can be spied on via a camera in your microwave. Or a camera in your toaster. Or in your ficus. Or, most devious of all, a camera in your camera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe she was actually referring to the electromagnetic type of microwaves rather than the kitchen appliance.

http://www.livescience.com/50259-microwaves.html

Quote:
Microwaves are a type of electromagnetic radiation, as are radio waves, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays and gamma-rays. Microwaves have a range of applications, including communications, radar and, perhaps best known by most people, cooking.

My husband used to work on the radar systems on the B-1s here at Ellsworth AFB so he knew that microwaves don't necessarily mean the appliance. Their use in the appliance grew from a serendipitous accident.

Quote:
One of the most common uses of microwaves is to heat food quickly. Microwave ovens are possible because microwaves can be used to transmit thermal energy. The discovery of this phenomenon was purely accidental. In his book, "They All Laughed...: From the Light Bulbs to Lasers: The Fascinating Stories Behind the Great Inventions That Have Changed Our Lives" (HarperCollins, 1992), author Ira Flatow recounts the story of the invention of the microwave oven: "Shortly after World War II, Percy L. Spencer, an electronics genius and war hero, was touring one of his laboratories at the Raytheon Company. Spencer stopped in front of a magnetron, the power tube that drives a radar set. Suddenly he noticed that a candy bar in his pocket had begun to melt." Further investigation led him to make the first batch of microwave popcorn as well as the first exploding egg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
I believe she was actually referring to the electromagnetic type of microwaves rather than the kitchen appliance.

"a camera in your microwave"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
sodaklady wrote:

"a camera in your microwave"

"microwaves that turn into cameras"
Listen to the video, don't just read the tweet.

I think her problem is that she didn't know what the hell she was talking about so that is how she understood it. The fact that it makes her sound ridiculous...that's just a bonus for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

She actually said "microwaves that turn into cameras." Even better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
petegs wrote:
aiabx wrote:

MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Soviets used microwaves during the cold war to spy on American embassies. They would point them at windows and detect the vibrations from the voices inside. A couple of Marines died from weird cancers (they were on watch outside the windows) and the Americans caught on.

But hey, making people afraid of their toasters gets votes. No sense trying to learn the real story, go with what pulls the best ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

How else are you supposed to know when the popcorn is done?

My popcorn burns a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
The swat team the NSA camera monitoring team summoned kick down your door! They don't like their popcorn burned. !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
The Soviets used microwaves during the cold war to spy on American embassies. They would point them at windows and detect the vibrations from the voices inside. A couple of Marines died from weird cancers (they were on watch outside the windows) and the Americans caught on.

But hey, making people afraid of their toasters gets votes. No sense trying to learn the real story, go with what pulls the best ratings.

Not just embassies, and not just the US (of course), got the EM/microwave treatment from the USSR. When I worked for the government some years ago, whenever we opened a field office anywhere, the TEMPEST/EMSEC chaps would come round and do their thing, as a matter of course. Some of the countermeasures just made the windows hard to see through, and some (like the hoofing-great heavy mesh curtains) really cut out the light and attracted vast quantities of dust...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Not just embassies, and not just the US (of course), got the EM/microwave treatment from the USSR. When I worked for the government some years ago, whenever we opened a field office anywhere, the TEMPEST/EMSEC chaps would come round and do their thing, as a matter of course. Some of the countermeasures just made the windows hard to see through, and some (like the hoofing-great heavy mesh curtains) really cut out the light and attracted vast quantities of dust...

That's to stop radiations from inside. Moving windows don't affect microwaves.
Beaming microwaves at a building would have very little effect. If they beamed enough at someone enough to injure their health the powers required would be rather detectable.
Edit just looked this up
They did use shortwave powered resonant cavity microphones. They are quite big so have to be architectural or in a big artwork. I don't think that would scale down to microwaves, but if it did you would need to beam lots of power. You would still have to introduce the bug into the target area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
rylfrazier wrote:
petegs wrote:
aiabx wrote:

MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE

Aha!

There is, in the current comics continuity, a scene set in the distant past where Megatron is at the mercy of brutal and uncaring corrupt cops - who naturally can't be bothered getting his name right. Megatron, Magnetron - what's the difference, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

That's to stop radiations from inside. Moving windows don't affect microwaves.
Beaming microwaves at a building would have very little effect. If they beamed enough at someone enough to injure their health the powers required would be rather detectable.
Edit just looked this up
They did use shortwave powered resonant cavity microphones. They are quite big so have to be architectural or in a big artwork. I don't think that would scale down to microwaves, but if it did you would need to beam lots of power. You would still have to introduce the bug into the target area.

Indeed, I don't think the "marines getting cancer thing" holds water at all. What I recall being told was that the EMSEC stuff was "belt and braces" - they weren't 100% sure exactly what was being used, and bugs were a known risk (particularly in urban locations with complex perimeters), so they tried to cover everything. Wasn't my area of expertise, though, so I could be misremembering...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.