Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report--all cultists must die! (Spoilers for scenario 4 chain) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Hansen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Howdy all,

The ire of our party was earned in scenario 4 by the meanie-face cultists and their meanie-face summons. This is the saga of how we got our revenge this past weekend.

Introduction

Our party members are Tinkerer (Brandi), Mindthief (Michelle) and Spellweaver (me). Ending levels: 5,4,5.

Session 4 left us with a bad taste in our mouths (a combination of earth and wind, methinks). Our party was united in ignoring all distractions and beating demons with our pointy sticks until they apologized. Sadly, they did not apologize. At the end, as we looted the temple of our foes, Brandi pointed out that we should probably seal the evil rift that they created, being heroic and all.

Play Results

Session 1: Scenario 5--campaign, normal difficulty. Win with both chests. The Flame Demons seemed like a big deal, but they party had twin bows, so they weren't. MVP was the Night Demon, whose key invisibility plays kept it alive too long.

Session 2: Scenario 10--campaign, normal difficulty. Win with chest. This was a lot of movement for Brandi and Michelle. there was a showdown at the last door between the Demons, who refused to tank the traps and the party, who ended up tanking them to end things. MVP were the Lava Waders, because they kept me full health. Go Spellweaver tank!

Session 3: Scenario 21--campaign, normal difficulty. Win with chest. This was neat boss fight that I can see getting VERY out of hand for a party. Unfortunately for the Prime Demon, we were well prepared with ranged attacks and obliterated the altar during it's f-a hop. MVP was my summoned skeleton, who lived until the third to last round! All ur base r belong to us!

Session 4: Scenario 14--campaign, normal difficulty. Win with the chest. The hounds top-decked pack tactics on round one with no party members attacking first. Tinkerer got mauled for 2x6+6+4+5(living spirit). Brandi was not happy. Last room was a mess as the party fought terribly to achieve critical perk checks and retirement goals. MVP was Michelle, who has secretly stealthed her way towards retirement! The party went from flush with cash to broke with awesome cards after this scenario.

Detailed Session Report--Session 3

After the scenario that shall not be named (4), the party requested that I swap Aid from the Ether for Crackling Air, and focus on achieving those sweet sweet +2's. Scenario 21 has a low amount of normal enemies and several close doors. On round 1 we triggered the north door, then bled the small pile of enemies down until round 3, when Michelle popped the south door. This was the first of 4 rounds where my Spellweaver did obscene damage to multiple enemies via Crackling Air, a bow, goggles and potions. Key placement of Brandi's new battle bot delayed the wind demons and I cycled my burn cards over 3 turns at the boss door.

We had no idea what the boss's mechanic was until Brandi kicked in the door. We learned that the altar was the target and that it would hop on the Prime Demon's turn to where we just were standing. Unfortunately for the Prime Demon, we all beat him in initiative that round and on the following round, subjecting the altar to 8 possible attacks with all kinds of positive modifiers. The Prime Demon hit Brandi for 6 and 4, which was not enough.

It was a short fight and on the second round I Rode the Wind to the chest. Much loot, very gold, wow!

It felt really satisfying that our party had the choice to just dump on the Prime Demon, instead of being railroaded into doing his bidding. He should have been more polite.

I think the takeaway from this boss fight is that it could get out of hand for the party very easily. If the Prime Demon won the first two initiatives, he would easily start an endless chase of the altar plus a swamp of summons. A slow, melee oriented party would be running counter-clockwise and hoping for enough cards left to finish the job. Cool mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
We took the same path through the campaign, but you are far ahead of us on levels at that point, we've only just made level 5. Did you do some other scenarios first, or fail a few and have to redo them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Neuville

Wisconsin
msg tools
mb
I am currently trying to beat Scenario 4. Lost two times playing solo (with solo difficulty bump) as Cragheart and Spellweaver.

Cultists are such a low threat themselves but those summons..... Been trying to kill the cultists quickly hoping I don't draw that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hansen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
PaulGrogan wrote:
We took the same path through the campaign, but you are far ahead of us on levels at that point, we've only just made level 5. Did you do some other scenarios first, or fail a few and have to redo them?

We failed a few times, particularly on number 4, as you can see in my previous review of it here on the forums. Mostly, every player is super competitive about getting xp and two of the classes (Tinkerer and Spellweaver) are xp machines. Our Tinkerer plays helpfully until she knows we're winning, then blows every card if possible to xp up.

The levels are deceptive to. My Spellweaver is nearly 6. I've actually removed a few big xp burn cards, but I still tend to get 15+bonus per scenario win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We'd actually just played Scenario 21 to complete our Cragheart's personal quest.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Aberrant Hunter - Kill 2 of each type of Demon. We still needed Wind Demons, and didn't feel like redoing Scenario 4.
We weren't really expecting victory, just wanted to blast through, get the Cragheart's quest done, and bask in our collected Money/XP...

Then we found the door to the Prime Demon and opened it, and found the same mechanic you mentioned... So everyone in the party, Cragheart, Tinkerer, Mindthief, and Spellweaver immediately blew everything they could to blast the altar into powder before it got three jumps away. It jumped once quickly, then the Demon drew a normal Attack card instead of a Special, then jumped again... And on the round where it would make its third jump, it drew a really high initiative and we were all able to smash it.

We didn't find the treasure, though... But we were already pretty happy with the scenario rewards, and the absolute storm of content we got upon the Cragheart's retirement (our first).
Holy crap, the Elementalist is ridiculous, and very obvious why it isn't a Starter class.
We went into it Level 3, except the Mindthief at Level 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hansen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
CrushU wrote:

Then we found the door to the Prime Demon and opened it, and found the same mechanic you mentioned... So everyone in the party, Cragheart, Tinkerer, Mindthief, and Spellweaver immediately blew everything they could to blast the altar into powder before it got three jumps away.

I found the encounter neat, because it's pretty apparent immediately how bad it can be, but the HP of the altar is killable if you focus.

I wish we'd retired a few characters. My retirement goal is totally different than anything we've seen so far. I'm pretty sure I'll be carrying the Spellweaver to level 9. I love my character, but I sense that retirement is a major component of the game that I'm missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gevaudan wrote:
CrushU wrote:

Then we found the door to the Prime Demon and opened it, and found the same mechanic you mentioned... So everyone in the party, Cragheart, Tinkerer, Mindthief, and Spellweaver immediately blew everything they could to blast the altar into powder before it got three jumps away.

I found the encounter neat, because it's pretty apparent immediately how bad it can be, but the HP of the altar is killable if you focus.

I wish we'd retired a few characters. My retirement goal is totally different than anything we've seen so far. I'm pretty sure I'll be carrying the Spellweaver to level 9. I love my character, but I sense that retirement is a major component of the game that I'm missing.

Some retirement goals are definitely easier than others.
In each party of four, there seems to be one guy that has an easy goal, one that has a hard goal, and one that has one that's easy, but will take a while.
(Specific quests
In Group A; we had the Demon-killer (easy, if you take the cultist-killing path), one that needs to donate 12 times to Sanctuary and one that needs to witness 15 Ally Exhaustions, (easy, takes a while) then one that needs to complete some number of Gloomhaven scenarios (Hard;
we've only found one so far, in like 12-15 completed scenarios.)

Group B: Complete 15 quests, collect 15 Checks from Battle Goals (easy,
takes a while), Complete 4 scenarios in the Dagger Forest (unknown; we've found two, but one was unlocked via Event, so...) and Kill 20 Vermlings (I suspect we went down the wrong path for this one, and it should just be Medium difficulty.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hansen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
CrushU wrote:

Some retirement goals are definitely easier than others.
In each party of four, there seems to be one guy that has an easy goal, one that has a hard goal, and one that has one that's easy, but will take a while.

I'll do a couple of session reports for the last 7 days, but I did indeed reach level 9 before I hit my retirement goal. The goals were not at all equally easy, nor were the rewards equally satiating.

Player 1 goal: kill a pile of elites (done fast and easy)
Player 2 goal: kill 4 or 5 bosses (done easy)
My goal: kill 10 Imps and then complete a special quest chain (with no imps, this took forever. Once I found the Imps...bad news for them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We took the same path because our Spellweaver had the personal quest
to kill two of each of the elemental demons.
We arrived at scenario #21 with a level 4 Cragheart, level 4 Mindthief and the level 3 Spellweaver.

The boss fight was really cool because we entered the last room from the north and the altar immediately started to teleport around summoning demons in the process. Instead of following the altar in alphabetical order we went back and caught up with it between positions c and d. We had to tank the boss (MVP was a summoned skeleton) and 4 elite demons while only focusing on the altar and somehow managed to destroy it just in time before being overwhelmed. It was an amazing feeling and incredibly tight!

In the end our Spellweaver retired after only 7 scenarios, bumping our city's prosperity level to level 2, while the rest of us still haven't even finished half of our personal quest progress. Can't wait to see the new class in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hansen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Eyegleam wrote:

The boss fight was really cool because we entered the last room from the north and the altar immediately started to teleport around summoning demons in the process. Instead of following the altar in alphabetical order we went back and caught up with it between positions c and d. We had to tank the boss (MVP was a summoned skeleton) and 4 elite demons while only focusing on the altar and somehow managed to destroy it just in time before being overwhelmed. It was an amazing feeling and incredibly tight!

MVP summoned skeleton! I love that guy and was sad to lose him when my spellweaver retired.

Thanks for that report, btw. I really wanted to hear from a team that did the counterclockwise approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.