Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget everything below...
...I'm stupid.

Let me start by saying that I love this game. Joel so far is the only designer that made me touch a war(-ish) game, a theme I usually hate.
That´s a huge effort! Kudos.

Anyway, I played thourhg the full (9.6) campaign twice and yesterday I had an interesting and a bit anti-climatic Period 4, I´d like to share (could include spoilers).

So what makes H4 tough is when the Medicine Lodge Treaty card shows up. Not only does it move Rancherias to the Reservation, it also starts by reducing your Military Points right away when revealed. So that´s the challenge I see in H4.

What happened is that I entered H4 with a couple of Trade Goods and more importantly a Development card in play with a "If discarded during PoT move PoT marker down."

So I spent my turns with the usual stuff. Mainly trying to increase Military and Ravaging some Settlements. First PoT moved the counter down twice.

Second PoT moved the marker down once. It´s now on space 3 and I know I might be able to finish end the game during next PoT. "American Civil War" showed up, puuting "Medicine Lodge Treaty" on top of the deck, threatening to show up next PoT. It never did.

At this point you can be sure that you go into next PoT with zero Rancherias in the Reservation. Also your next turns will be a cakewalk, because 50% of the enemy actions (East) are simply cancelled.

I ignored the enemy, did Culture -> Planning (increase Military), Culture -> Planning. And then PoT.

With 3 Trade Goods (=Re-rolls) left the Victory Check roll was no problem. With no Rancherias in the Reservation this was a Major Victory.

What´s a bit odd here is that even if my Military had dropped to 1, it´d had still been a Major Victory, since 1 is still larger than zero times 2.

Joal, please tell me if I did something wrong here. I got lucky with the Dev card carried over from H3. Has such a cakewalk H4 happened to you?

Anyways, no complaint here. Just wanted to share (and verify).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: H4 cakewalk...
See red text on H4 History card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah for some reason I just can't seem to READ the damn history cards.
They're there, staring at me, and my eyes just skip them every single time.

For instance, I knew I'd read somewhere that the gray War chit was supposed to go into the cup after the first Passage of Time, but I couldn't for the life of me find where that text was.
And then, ages later, my eyes fell on the H1 card by accident.

*facepalm*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

joel_m_toppen wrote:
See red text on H4 History card.

Ooohhh, f***

Guess who's feeling stupid, now soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
Forget everything below...
...I'm stupid.

Let me start by saying that I love this game. Joel so far is the only designer that made me touch a war(-ish) game, a theme I usually hate.
That´s a huge effort! Kudos.

Anyway, I played thourhg the full (9.6) campaign twice and yesterday I had an interesting and a bit anti-climatic Period 4, I´d like to share (could include spoilers).

So what makes H4 tough is when the Medicine Lodge Treaty card shows up. Not only does it move Rancherias to the Reservation, it also starts by reducing your Military Points right away when revealed. So that´s the challenge I see in H4.

What happened is that I entered H4 with a couple of Trade Goods and more importantly a Development card in play with a "If discarded during PoT move PoT marker down."

So I spent my turns with the usual stuff. Mainly trying to increase Military and Ravaging some Settlements. First PoT moved the counter down twice.

Second PoT moved the marker down once. It´s now on space 3 and I know I might be able to finish end the game during next PoT. "American Civil War" showed up, puuting "Medicine Lodge Treaty" on top of the deck, threatening to show up next PoT. It never did.

At this point you can be sure that you go into next PoT with zero Rancherias in the Reservation. Also your next turns will be a cakewalk, because 50% of the enemy actions (East) are simply cancelled.

I ignored the enemy, did Culture -> Planning (increase Military), Culture -> Planning. And then PoT.

With 3 Trade Goods (=Re-rolls) left the Victory Check roll was no problem. With no Rancherias in the Reservation this was a Major Victory.

What´s a bit odd here is that even if my Military had dropped to 1, it´d had still been a Major Victory, since 1 is still larger than zero times 2.

Joal, please tell me if I did something wrong here. I got lucky with the Dev card carried over from H3. Has such a cakewalk H4 happened to you?

Anyways, no complaint here. Just wanted to share (and verify).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Yeah for some reason I just can't seem to READ the damn history cards.
They're there, staring at me, and my eyes just skip them every single time.

For instance, I knew I'd read somewhere that the gray War chit was supposed to go into the cup after the first Passage of Time, but I couldn't for the life of me find where that text was.
And then, ages later, my eyes fell on the H1 card by accident.

*facepalm*

yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.