Popular Tags: OP_deleted [+] [View All]
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
What about destination tickets?

I guess you could leave them unnumbered and you figure out their score by counting how far apart they are but I know a lot of people wouldn't want to do all the work.

CAN you do it? Yes. Would it be successful, I doubt it.

It would be an interesting game design exercise though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main challenges I see, just off the top of my head:

1. Valuing destination tickets in a balanced and non-fiddly way. I imagine you'd use variable values based on how many tiles apart the cities are? This would be an extra layer of calculation, so you'd want to keep it simple.

2. Locating cities on destination tickets quickly and conveniently. Since cities could be anywhere on the board, and you can't provide a mini-map on the destination tickets, there would be a certain level of frustration in trying to remember where your destinations are.

3. Matching up tiles in a logical way. Unless you change the rules to allow multi-colored routes, you probably can't have routes connect across tile edges. Each tile could have self-contained routes, with cities at each corner or edge, though you'd need to work out which tile the city's name would be printed on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the reason why it hasn't happened might be

(a) there's been no real need, since there are plenty of real world maps to play on, with little to no perceived loss of replayability, and

(b) real-world geography creates interest. Building routes across a randomly generated landscape no one cares about could be a hard sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steric wrote:
It got me to thinking that it might be neat to have an edition that makes use of a modular board. The board would consist of a frame in which individual tiles could be inserted. You could randomize them, or custom-build it to your liking.

An example of a changeable, modular board upon which to build city connections. From La Strada.

The triangles can be rearranged and rotated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
I'd say the reason why it hasn't happened might be

(a) there's been no real need, since there are plenty of real world maps to play on, with little to no perceived loss of replayability, and

(b) real-world geography creates interest. Building routes across a randomly generated landscape no one cares about could be a hard sell.
I do believe real geography does play a role in all of it. For one school teacher, a student commented how she liked how Pandemic takes place on earth, as opposed to some fictional place.

FWIW, I'd be willing to try a modular board. It can even be a fictional place for all I care, as even though I'm not oblivious to the locations on the board (and TBF, I have learned a thing or two about world geography from my TtR games), in the end, TtR is STILL an abstract game, and the locations aren't THAT relevant to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have discussed with myself whether it would be possible to make a board in three parts: a north and a south part that could be played individually, as well as a third module to add in between to create one large board.

The third module would have to be placed physically on top of the others, so that the points track of the smaller boards is covered. It's an interesting idea, but right now I have put it on ice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tickets are easy to deal with since a ticket is worth exactly as many points as the fewest number of trains it takes to make the connection. And since you are thinking of a modular board set up, why not also a modular ticket deck set up? That is, create cards with a single city named on it, creating as many duplicates as you desire. Then split the cards into 2 decks, ensuring that duplicates of any given city remain in the same deck. Then draw one from each deck to see what ticket you get. Of course, you'd need to create a reference for all possible connections and their point values...
A lot of work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Carlisle

Illinois
msg tools
mb
I can't look at a map without thinking about Ticket to Ride... LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We made one few years ago... 6 months work because there where a number of issues (actually destination tickets is one of the easiest to solve).

Pb is if you map the world with uniform tiles (squares, hexes....), it's gonna be hard not to end up having pretty much always the same distance between cities. Or it's gonna be hard having a consitent degree of networking around the world (i. e. number of routes from a single city).

Say all your tiles with heavily connected cities end up in the same part of the world, you may have half of your map with cities that you just can't connect because just one other player made it there before you could.

Not a big deal for 2-3 players, but a nightmare if you want to create a balanced 5-p game.

Other obvious issue: either edges of your tiles are only "half cities" (ten the issue that they'll end up pretty much always at the same distance), either you will have "half-routes" connecting between two tiles (so obviously with different colors on both sides > you need to add a rule to cover that and find a balanced value for a route needing 4 yellow + 2 red - btw, for us that route gives you 7+2=9 points, even if you drop 6 plastic cars).

And so on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.