Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Marx
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I newly acquainted ourselves with Hands in the Sea this weekend, and in one of our games we drew the Rebellion card. My wife (playing Rome) was on the unlucky end of this event, and the first location card she drew was Rome. Ouch!

As far as we understood the rules, the Rome city piece was removed from the board. The Romans had control of Syracuse, the Italy sea space was unoccupied at that time, the Carthage fleet was in Sardinia, and the Italian fleet was in Silicy. Is the following interpretation of the board correct?

- As described, the mainland Italian spaces would still be in supply since they could trace supply across the sea to Syracuse.

- If I moved the Carthage fleet to the Italy sea space, every city in mainland Italy would be cut out of supply with the exception of the cities within two spaces of the Straits of Messina. This would make Rome impossible to resettle since all the necessary cards to do it would be unusable. The only way to remedy this situation would be to move the Italian fleet to Italy and hope they don't get forced out (or launch a preemptive naval strike to try to force the Carthage fleet out).

In the event, I decided to leave my fleet in Sardinia and my wife eventually resettled Rome (she was already pretty upset at losing Rome in a random event and I didn't want to salt the wound).

Just wanted to make sure I understood the rules correctly. I find the possibility of such brutal random events to be an interesting aspect of the game, but I think my wife was a bit turned off by it (especially since it happened to her).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
imarx wrote:

As far as we understood the rules, the Rome city piece was removed from the board.

Read the text on the card again.

Does not affect Rome, Carthage, or current battle location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Marx
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, not sure how we missed that! Good to know for next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't forget the rule on Page 8 that supply can still be traced to Rome, Carthage and Lilybaeum, even if they are unoccupied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.