Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yep, if one prefers complex rulesets or very thematic games, Splendor will be less pleasing. I agree the theme is barely there.

But it does what it does very well, and even though it's not a "main event of the evening" kind of game, we've found it to be an excellent fun short simple game.

PS: pairs/pares, heals/heels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steric wrote:
russ wrote:

For sure. I agree. Thanks for the grammar tip, but that's how we spell the word in my region.
What he's saying is that those are different words. Pares has a different meaning than pairs, and heels is different than heals. The wrong words were used, it has nothing to do with your region.

As for your review, you're right - it does an outstanding job of paring down to the engine building, which is exactly the point of the game. You may have been looking for something different, but don't blame the game for your mismanaged expectations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny Blount
New Zealand
flag msg tools
out to lunch
badge
same place I eat at
mbmbmbmbmb
steric wrote:
jdw734 wrote:
steric wrote:
russ wrote:

For sure. I agree. Thanks for the grammar tip, but that's how we spell the word in my region.
What he's saying is that those are different words. Pares has a different meaning than pairs, and heels is different than heals. The wrong words were used, it has nothing to do with your region.

As for your review, you're right - it does an outstanding job of paring down to the engine building, which is exactly the point of the game. You may have been looking for something different, but don't blame the game for your mismanaged expectations!

I understood

The humor is that there is no way for you to know what the local nuances are for language in my 'region'. Also, I never 'blamed' the game. I am simply putting my thoughts out there to help potential buyers manage their expectations.

Ok I'll fix it.

You don't have a local nuance that replaces those words with each other.

But many of us mix up homophones all the time, including a lot of very smart people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, appears the original review has been deleted? I enjoyed reading the review (it presented a valuable viewpoint that I've heard from a decent number of people) even though I totally disagreed with its contention that Splendor isn't a deep strategy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Hm, appears the original review has been deleted?

Yes, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP also wiped their name, location, purchased microbadges, avatar, AND deleted first posts of other threads OP started. If this thread was the motivation for doing so, sorry, OP, we really meant no harm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.