Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ant-Man Custom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on a custom Ant-Man set, but would appreciate some feedback in terms of wording/balance/etc. These are a first draft, so I know they might be a little rough in spots. Some of the ideas are borrowed from sets by Theorel and Svenmother.

I think the cards work well together in terms of activating abilities and theme, but want to make sure the cost/benefit balance is in check.

Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s rob
msg tools
Losing an entire turn for 5 attack seems a bit harsh. Especially considering that by the time you can afford the 7 cost of the card you probably have enough cards in your deck that you'd lose more than you'd gain. Also, without it starting with "You may ..." it becomes something you have to do, forcing you to lose a turn every time you draw it.

Drax's rare, Avatar of Destruction doesn't have any attack on its own but allows you to double your total attack with no penalty and the card costs the same amount to purchase.

Maybe instead of losing an entire turn just draw one less card at the end of the turn when you draw a new hand.

No Size-Changing cards? I personally didn't care for the effect but Ant-Man would be a fitting character for it.

Overall nice job on these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent for the rare was that the initial double made it a value of 10, but the second double is on top of that, making it a total value of 20. That should probably be reworded to "double that amount" or something along those lines. And yes, "You may" should be added to make it optional.

What about having it help draw more cards, kind of the opposite of shrinking your hand with the uncommon? How about if the first effect is "Draw 3 cards" and then make the Blue trigger triple the attack with loss of a turn? Then the card gives you 3 more cards in your hand, and potentially 15 attack. So, this:

In terms of size-changing - The Pym Particles Uncommon is the "shrinking" card, using a red item to trigger the shrinking hand to increase damage, and the rare is obviously the "growing" card using a blue item to trigger - ala the film "red shrinks, blue enlarges". Wouldn't be Ant-Man without some size-changing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s rob
msg tools
I misunderstood the second effect. I read it as losing a second turn and gaining another +5 attack. After reading it again it makes sense. I like the new draw three / 3x attack but lose a turn card.

As for size changing I was refering to the effect from Civil War (IIRC). But as I said, I didn't really care for the effect.

Size-Changing
This keyword represents Heroes and Villains using superpowers to massively change their size.
* Some Hero cards say, "Size-Changing: Covert." This means "You can recruit this card for 2 Recruit less if you played a Covert card this turn."
* Likewise, some Villain cards say, "Size-Changing: Tech." This means "You can fight this Villain for 2 Attack less if you played a Tech card this turn."
* Some Divided Cards say "Size-Changing: Tech" on one side and "Size-Changing: Strength" on the other side. You can recruit either side of the card with its own Size-Changing discount, but you can't get both discounts at once.

*just noticed the flavor text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I figured my wordage was a little off, and you're right, if it was only a +5 bonus to lose that second turn, it would be pretty lame. Plus, trying to remember you've lost two whole turns could be a pain. I think I prefer the Draw 3/Triple attack version too. I'll replace it in the batch above.

Quote:
As for size changing I was refering to the effect from Civil War (IIRC). But as I said, I didn't really care for the effect.

Ah. Haven't played the Civil War expansion, so I wasn't aware it was a specific term for Size-Changing. I prefer this because it keeps it simpler than adding another mechanic to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database!

Nice Job!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.