dug fromthearth
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my experience (and from the boards and players I know), the game gets easier in a large part due to the high health and sanity that characters accumulate. And they mostly get that from the random upgrade when they level.

I am much more interested in the upgrade chart and selecting my abilities. So I am thinking of playing without using the random upgrade roll and instead when you level you just get one upgrade from the chart.

That might simply balance the game - so it does not get easier as you level and might actually get harder. Or it might make it too hard, in which case I would give an upgrade at half the normal XP but treat the XP the same for difficulty level.

Has anyone played without the random upgrade? Is it needed for some reason I am not thinking of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would get really hard at higher levels (Brutal+). The random upgrade is often where you get health and/or sanity. Without those incremental gains, you could end up in a position where one hit can knock you out. You can gain health and sanity from the Doc and Church, but that requires suffering through injuries/mutations/madnesses in the first place.

Personally, I think gear is a bigger problem than those random upgrades. And the core set monsters really aren't that tough. I've found that one of the best ways to increase the difficulty is to add expansion enemy packs - they make quite a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, gear is definitely the biggest factor. When you are at 4th level and up, you have pretty much perfected your arsenal and maybe even optimized a couple of skill trees. You can really lay down some damage. However, once the enemies start getting brutal and you're up against Trederrans, Serpentmen, etc., if you don't act first you have to soak up some damage. So taking away the random level up will leave you likely to get killed at 5th level and up, if you don't act first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, including trederra does a lot to alleviate the unbalance of high level characters.

Trederrans are no joke.
Admittedly, that only helps when they show up. But still.

I wouldn't eliminate the random roll. That's where you get hp/sp.

As mentioned, most of the op-ness comes from gear.

I'm not sure how best to address that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.