Subject: Possible to asign only some damage to an ally? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Ringlstetter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
as the subject already says, is it possible to only asign just some of the damage to an ally, or does it have to be all?
For example, an enemy deals 3 damage and 3 horror. Can I assign let's say 2 damage and 1 horror to an ally and the rest onto the investigator, to keep the ally alive?
Thanks for clearing things up for me.
Cheers, Christian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my rules/cards at work, but yes. I make a strategic decision how much to put on each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkham Chronicle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Christian

We have a video all about Allies

https://youtu.be/54JBNROkTM8

and Assets

https://youtu.be/hyp51oAFu-k

Which should cover assigning damage.

We hope this helps

The Arkham Chronicle Gang
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ringlstetter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmation.

Cheers Christian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wichura
msg tools
Nah, you can't in my opinion. As per polish rule book and my translation, you need to put damage on chosen asset to maximum possible and then rest of dmg put on another ir hero.

And I play with this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KprWichura wrote:
Nah, you can't in my opinion. As per polish rule book and my translation, you need to put damage on chosen asset to maximum possible and then rest of dmg put on another ir hero.

There may be a mistranslation in the Polish rulebook then.

Here's what the English rulebook says:
Quote:
Dealing Damage/Horror
There are two types of afflictions that may beset an investigator in the game: damage and horror. Damage afflicts an investigator’s health, and horror afflicts an investigator’s sanity.
When an investigator or enemy is dealt damage and/or horror, follow these steps, in order:
1. Assign Damage/Horror: Determine the amount of damage and/or horror being dealt. Place damage and/or horror tokens equal to the amount of damage and horror being dealt next to the cards that will be taking the damage/horror.
= When an investigator is dealt damage or horror, that investigator may assign it to eligible asset cards he or she controls. To be eligible, an asset card must have health in order to be assigned damage, and it must have sanity in order to be assigned horror.
= An asset cannot be assigned damage beyond the amount of damage it would take to defeat the card, and cannot be assigned horror beyond the amount of horror it would take to defeat the card.
= All damage/horror that cannot be assigned to an asset must be assigned to the investigator.
2. Apply Damage/Horror: Any assigned damage/ horror that has not been prevented is now placed on each card to which it has been assigned, simultaneously. If no damage/horror is applied in this step, no damage/horror has been successfully dealt.
= Abilities that prevent, reduce, or reassign damage and/or horror that is being dealt are resolved between steps 1 and 2.
= After applying damage/horror, if an investigator has damage equal to or higher than his or her health or horror equal
to or higher than his or her sanity, he or she is defeated. When an investigator is defeated, he or she is eliminated from the scenario (see “Elimination” on page 10).
= After applying damage/horror, if an enemy has damage equal to or higher than its health, it is defeated and placed in the encounter discard pile (or in its owner’s discard pile if it is a weakness).
= After applying damage/horror, if an asset has damage equal to or higher than its health or horror equal to or higher than its sanity, it is defeated and placed in its owner’s discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KprWichura wrote:

Then the Polish rules have been mistranslated.

Unless there is direct damage being dealt (which always must go on your investigator directly), you may split up damage any way between yourself and your assets as you see fit -- just so long as you don't put more damage/horror on an asset than it can hold, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question:

Damage is simultaneous, right? Even among the different places it can be assigned.

If I'm assigning damage to an ally that dies, I can put both mental and physical damage to their max allowed? (An ally doesn't go insane when I place the mental damage, before I get a chance to place the physical damage as well.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
Related question:

Damage is simultaneous, right? Even among the different places it can be assigned.

If I'm assigning damage to an ally that dies, I can put both mental and physical damage to their max allowed? (An ally doesn't go insane when I place the mental damage, before I get a chance to place the physical damage as well.)

Yes.

See the section of the Rules Reference I quoted, above.

Damage resolution is split up into two steps:
1. Assign damage tokens.
2. Place tokens on cards and resolve that damage.

So, during step 1, you can assign both physical and mental damage tokens to an ally, and then only during step 2 are those tokens transferred to the Ally and resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wichura
msg tools
I took this point:
"= All damage/horror that cannot be assigned to an asset must be assigned to the investigator"

So I understand this that if you decided to put dmg on asset (p.1.1.) then until you can assign dmg to chosen asset you should do it to maximum possible. And when more dmg cannot be placed on asset then put rest on character.

BUT, maybe I overinterpreted this point. But it alsonot says clearly that youcan distribute dmg as you wish. :/

FYI, Polish translation is ok here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.