Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...or just spill an entire shaker of salt all over your rug.

So what gaming mishaps have you caused?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fortunately, none for me so far.

But I'm kinda paranoid about those kinds of things. We played my friend's original copy of Dune at my house last Friday. I didn't even consider offering anyone any beverages. (Some people brought their own though and I cringed inwardly, but the owner didn't say anything.) No mishaps that night. [sigh of relief]

A few months ago we played my copy of Tales of the Arabian Nights with my wife's sister and her husband. Sister-in-law knocked over her glass of water- it went all over the board, as well as a few cards and chits. I think I did pretty well at keeping my cool. Surprisingly, we got it all cleaned up quickly and the board and other components really didn't suffer any noticeable damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to have a talent for spilling my bits on the ground 100 times a game. We play Spartacus a lot, and the coins end up on the floor, then I find them all dog chewed a week or so later. I owe my friend about 6 coins. Good thing there's quite a few in the game.

A friend (same one for both incidents) knocked over her empty glass of red wine and a drop made its way to my Scythe board and another time she knocked over my plastic dice tower and broke it. Oh well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
...or just spill an entire shaker of salt all over your rug.

Not really MY fault but...

I was at in-laws playing Tales of the Arabian Nights. Everyone in the family is playing and having fun except one douchebag brother in law who thought Carcassonne was Monopoly and was just entirely too cool to play a game with us during our 2 week stay at their house (despite him being 30 and living with his parents, etc., bla bla). Anyways he has a cat that comes to him whenever he calls, and we were all eating. I'm a slowwwwww eater and had my food in front of me with a drink. He walked by and made fun of the whole family (7 people) for playing a lame ass board game and called his cat when he got past the table and he dove onto it and destroyed the state of the board and knocked my food and drink all over me and the floor, and then laughed his ass off walking upstairs. So I'm 97% sure he did it on purpose. The whole rest of the family had to really calm me down because I was pissed off at the brother in law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I'm in a group called "Beers and Board Games," so you can imagine the occasional spills we've had. Only one of my games has been the victim of a spill so far, and I've been in the group over two years now. So I figure that's not a bad ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a LARGE amount of these metal coins from Minion Games:

We'll use them for games that utilize any kind of currency. Much nicer than cardboard currency chits.

I have them sorted in a clear plastic tray and managed to let the WHOLE THING slip out of my hand while putting it away. Amazingly, the tray did not crack or break when it hit the ground in an explosion of coins.

It took me about 20-30 min to resort them back into their tray.

(btw... the title of your thread is awesome)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heh, not my worst but:
I was playing twilight struggle a whole bunch this past weekend as I just got it and had it set out ready for our next game whenever that would be in our kitchen. Its our best table and we can have food and drink behind up on the counter well away from the game at all times, or so I thought. I was salting some popcorn and a sneeze jumped me without warning. I cover up with my elbow and ended up with some salt on twilight struggle behind me. Thrilled that my food related accident resulted with no harm done to the game.
My worst might be when I was have a heavily modified game of risk with college roommates back in college and I knocked the table. At the time our table was made up of three tables so it was devastating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We had a larger turnout one evening and so 3 of us split off to play Android.

We had to set it up on an old folding table and just as we were about to start playing, my foot hit one of the legs and the whole side of the table just collapsed. The board and all the bits and chits went scattering across the floor.

We were able to find them all and get it set up again without incident, but that crash was the highlight of my evening with that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The usual minor stories of spilled drinks or food but nothing disastrous.

However a friend I gamed with long ago had a nasty habit of chewing tobacco and spitting into a bottle. While playing Up Front, he accidentally knocked the bottle over, and his disgusting brown tobacco juice spittle gushed out of the bottle onto the table and left a permanent brown stain on some cards.

At least it finally gave me a clear justification to tell him to not chew tobacco at my table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McKay
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb

once knocked out a table leg while we were playing Small World with all expansions. It turned into a completely different game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McKay
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
And to preempt the joke, no it was not more fun than playing Small World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never damaged anyone else's games and no one has ever damaged mine. But I live in fear because I know it will happen one of these days. It's inevitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
A few months ago we played my copy of Tales of the Arabian Nights with my wife's sister and her husband. Sister-in-law knocked over her glass of water- it went all over the board, as well as a few cards and chits. I think I did pretty well at keeping my cool. Surprisingly, we got it all cleaned up quickly and the board and other components really didn't suffer any noticeable damage.

Geez, I hate it when you think a story will have a happy ending, and it turns out really sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

Clicking on the "Back this Project" button. Why? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friend spilled beer on my copy of Apples to Apples.

Another friend spilled beer on my laptop (I DM the group for DnD). Fortunately no damage to my laptop.

I have twice spilled beer on my copy of Ascension: Realms Unraveled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavid Pheltar
Canada
flag msg tools
This is a recurring one for me. I'm a smoker and the only smoker I play games with. We usually play at my friends place and the table is beside a sliding glass door. Because we play at night, bugs are attracted to the light and hang out on the glass. As I duck in and out for a cigarette, a few bugs, (mostly moths) will come in with me.

Sometimes I leave the door ajar, by accident. And it will generally go unnoticed until there is an abnormal amount of bugs twirling around the light above the game table. When they burn themselves on the light, and spiral down and crash on the game board.

This doesn't go over very well. Someone will always remind my friend, that later on, there is a good chance one of the bugs will fly into his mouth while he is sleeping.

This hasn't happened for a while because of winter, but moth season is right around the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I were playing my copy of Metropolys. I have no problem with people drinking/eating while playing my games, but this made me rethink my policy (for the record, my policy remains the same).

My friend had just taken a drink of coffee when something on the radio appealed to her funny side and she laughed hard, coffee spraying from her mouth all over my game.

What seemed like an eternity to me (but was probably just a second or two), everyone else at the table jumped up, grabbed paper towels and quickly cleaned up the game.

Apparently, the look on my face was one of shock and rage. Afterwards I was fine (and laughed about the incident) and writing this has brought a smile on my face, but at the time, my friends were close to seeing me snap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Friend spilled beer on my copy of Apples to Apples.

Another friend spilled beer on my laptop (I DM the group for DnD). Fortunately no damage to my laptop.

I have twice spilled beer on my copy of Ascension: Realms Unraveled.

You're supposed to drink beer, not spill it. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
We had a larger turnout one evening and so 3 of us split off to play Android.

We had to set it up on an old folding table and just as we were about to start playing, my foot hit one of the legs and the whole side of the table just collapsed. The board and all the bits and chits went scattering across the floor.

We were able to find them all and get it set up again without incident, but that crash was the highlight of my evening with that game.

I know what this game consists of. My heart skipped a beat reading this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much, I'm usually cautious. Aside from spilling cards all around due to being awkward, I'm notorious for not being able to roll dice anywhere but on the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
First game with my new copy of Paths of Glory with my wife. We both spotted a small red mite crawling slowly on her side of the board (around about the North Sea). After a few seconds my wife moved her hand towards it to gently brush it away - or so I thought. Instead with a flourish she squashed it onto the board with her index finger. She said she knew it was a mistake a split second after doing it!

We've played the game many times since, and each time I see my wife's eyes drawn regretfully to the red stain in the North Sea. It's probably worth +1 VP to me for moral superiority!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I accidentally spilled beer on Pegasus Spiele's copy of Mega Civilization. It only went on one of the Advance Cards fortunately (which aren't secret information) and there are loads of them so it was fine.

I maintain it wasn't my fault though as I was leaning over to move things on the map and the guy next to me put his almost empty glass of beer on the table behind my elbow..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing the ghost in Mysterium and while I tried to flip the timer, I knocked a glass over that someone put behind my wall (which I impossible could've seen).

Luckily it was just water and luckily, the cards were pretty easy to dry, but the card board just sucked it up like a guy that had been in the desert for 3 days.

I haven't checked the game since, but I'm pretty sure the cardboard didn't get back to being as pressed as it was. Luckily, it's not THAT important of a component

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnston
msg tools
mbmbmb
Playing Marc Walkers World at War Blood and Bridges with a friend.
We had a combined total of nearly one hundred units on the board,with a full Soviet Division attacking the Brits somewhere in West Germany.
It was turn 10 of a 15 turn game,and the battle was well underway with units locked in combat all along the line.It was situation critical for both sides ,and could have gone either way.I got up to go for a comfort break when IT happened.
My knee caught the corner of the board as I stood up, and threw the lot about 3" into the air.on landing,stuff scattered everywhere,including off the board.You couldn't have had more devastation if you had dropped a tac-nuke.
4 and half hours of gaming came to a sudden and abrupt end.We both laugh about it now,but at the time we were speechless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep finding different gaming tokens beneath my sofa.
I still haven't found out whether it's my own fault, my girlfriend, or the cats...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.