BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Completely forgetting rules to games you've played before rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to keep a rather lean collection of games but obviously some get played more than others...

Now when you completely forget the rules to a game, will you re-read them front to back? I need to do that with a couple.. but I don't want to. Almost feel like since I don't play it enough to remember it I should just sell it... I only have like 40 games in my collection and have this with probably 10% of my games - I can't imagine how the people with 400+ games manage, because IDK I just don't want to re-read a 20+ page rulebook for instance. Looking primarily at you, Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death.

I remember I waited 6 months after playing Arkham Horror to play it again and tried to "teach" 3 others to play when I did.. what a nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have around 75 games and try to play them all frequently enough that I usually only need to brush up on the rules. On the other hand, concerning certain games (Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game), I am convinced I may never fully grasp the rules and have to read through the rulebook every time I play- even after 10+ plays. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can play a game two or three times while it is fresh in my head, then I'm usually pretty good about remembering the rules.

The problem I have is when I have a new game that hasn't gotten played yet or only has 1 play. Invariably I'll read the rules, bring it to game night and not play it. A week will go by and I'll be a little fuzzy on the rules and decide to leave it home. Then I'll have to read the rules again before I can bring it back... and the cycle will repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
If I can play a game two or three times while it is fresh in my head, then I'm usually pretty good about remembering the rules.

The problem I have is when I have a new game that hasn't gotten played yet or only has 1 play. Invariably I'll read the rules, bring it to game night and not play it. A week will go by and I'll be a little fuzzy on the rules and decide to leave it home. Then I'll have to read the rules again before I can bring it back... and the cycle will repeat.

I have done that. There are games I have reread rule books on like 10 to 15 times trying to get them to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Now when you completely forget the rules to a game, will you re-read them front to back?

Yes, of course.

Quote:
I need to do that with a couple.. but I don't want to. Almost feel like since I don't play it enough to remember it I should just sell it...

Depending on the complexity of the rules, I feel that way, too. In fact, I sold my copy of Dungeon Lords partially for that reason. It's quite complex and I didn't play it often enough to remember the rules.

Quote:
I only have like 40 games in my collection and have this with probably 10% of my games - I can't imagine how the people with 400+ games manage, because IDK I just don't want to re-read a 20+ page rulebook for instance. Looking primarily at you, Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death.

If you do like a game and want to keep it, you really should make an effort to play it several times in a short period. It's also very helpful to write a detailed summary of the rules while they are fresh in your mind, including everything you think you might forget, so that you don't need to read the whole manual again if don't play the game in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I probably have over 300 games but it seems like I often forget rules all the time after extended breaks from games even if I played it numerous times in the past. For instance, I was playing 7 Wonders and I forgot that you can not have duplicates of the same building/structure. Didn't figure it out until scoring. SMH.

The one rule that is etched into my mind is....."You can not heart in Tokyo"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one particularly bad instance of this where I taught Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar to new players and forgot some of the rules. It prompted me to write a summary which I posted to BGG. Since then I try to print out summaries for most games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sometimes worth the effort to set up the game and run through a round, turn or whatever the game calls it. It can take less time than reading the rulebook, and remembering rules gets a lot harder when you have a bunch of people staring at you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Whenever I teach myself a new game I rewrite the rules on an index card and toss the card in the box. The limited space on the card forces me to really understand what's going on underneath all the fluff that's in rulebooks and serves the dual purpose of being an extremely quick refresher for games we haven't played in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fortunate in that I have a very good memory for written things and can sometimes even remember things almost verbatim. So I don't tend to have this issue too often.

I actually struggle a lot more to learn rules from listening to someone else or watching videos online. I far prefer to read most rulebooks.

I also generally will play around with the pieces by myself while reading the rulebook just to become familiar with the mechanics and components of the game which helps me remember what everything is supposed to do. Then once I get it played a few times, no problem. And I generally get most of my games played pretty often when they are new to me. After a few plays, I've got the rules down and will only require a few rules look ups here and there. Almost never do I need to go back and read the entire rulebook again.

With all that being said...

If it ever comes down to it I generally will be up for rereading the rulebook if there is some game I haven't played in so long and I've forgotten. Most likely the rules will quickly come back to me and it won't be that hard. However more likely if I haven't played a game for that long it means it has already hit my trade pile. Why bother investing a bunch of time into learning the rules of a game I haven't gotten around to playing in years? May as well just get rid of it and stick with my favorites that I do remember the rules to still and hopefully others in my group also already know how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ra Mo
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I am about to play a new game I always read the rules twice before. The second time I pick up a highlighter and mark all the little rules that seem important or easily forgettable. Sometimes I also make notes on Post-its and put them into the rulebook.
So when I want to play a game after a long time and don't remember the exact rules I just have to flip through the rulebook, reading the highlighted parts (and notes) to conjure my memories. Most of the time that totally suffices and I barely have to read whole rulebooks again ^-^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come to the point where I'm starting to forget a ton of rules in games. Maybe it's because I don't play as much as I used to, and maybe it's because I have more games than I used to, I don't know.
Since this is still pretty new to me, I don't really know how to act around it :/ But it sure leaves me confused! And disappointed when I realize my mistake.
I guess player's aid it will be for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have The Great Fire of London 1666 set up right now to re-learn the rules - it's been ages since we played, so a quick glance at the rules just won't be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm about to turn 58 and if the only thing I ever forgot was game rules then I would consider myself lucky indeed! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Now when you completely forget the rules to a game, will you re-read them front to back? I need to do that with a couple.. but I don't want to.

I don't think I've ever completely forgotten the rules and had to literally reread the entire rulebook.

Certainly some parts of the rules stick in my mind, so I can usually just skim or reread the parts I've forgotten, or simply reread the sequence of play for a turn, or I start reading a section and then the memories come back and I don't need to literally reread the whole section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass: Lancashire and I'm going to need a real good reason I would need to re-read those rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I have over 600 games and I need to read the rules almost every time I play any of them. There are maybe 20 exceptions where I may need to read only certain things (such as starting money or what triggers the end of a round). Other than those exceptions, I generally need to read 80 - 100% of the rulebook every time I play. The reason is I just don't get to play very often. For example, my wife and I played Augsburg 1520 yesterday and I needed to read the entire rule set because we probably haven't played it in 4 or 5 years (maybe longer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Generally I can recall rules very well but occassionally I will just totally blank a particular rule - I once forgot the limit on playing one route in Ticket to Ride, and on another occassion just completely blanked that there was a cost to use a particular card in another game.
The best thing is to do a play through before taking a game out ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I compulsively cheat sheet all my games. That way I only have to read a short, better summarized set of rules with all the errata, FAQ and forum clarifications built in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Brass: Lancashire and I'm going to need a real good reason I would need to re-read those rules.
You already have one - playing Brass: Lancashire more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.