Canada
Lévis
QC
flag msg tools
Stop hovering my badge !
badge
Did you know? Hibou is french for owl.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a small software that can be used to get game recommendations tailored to a player's tastes. The program require your collection.csv file (in your BGG collection page, click on "Download board games : ALL"). It will then analyse every game you've rated (owned or not) and build suggestions lists from that.

Download here : http://hibou.qc.ca/recommendator/recommendator.zip

Subscribe to this thread to be notified when new releases are available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW van der Meulen
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Recommendator - A new game recommendations tool
Cool! I've played around with your tool a bit. I haven't rated that many games yet, so I'll probably have to try again another time for better test results.

For me the "default rating for unrated designers/categories/mechanics" was too high at 8. I've changed it to 6. Also, I think I'd like to limit games with a geek rating of x and higher in the interface (or export the results of course for further refinement). But I really appreciate what your tool can do as is.

I've tested both with "games you've rated" included and without, to get a feel for it. Then I judged how high games I've played (but not yet rated) ended in the suggestion list. For now I've ended up with:

geek rating 7 - avg rating 3 - designers 2 - categories 5 - mechanics 10

suggesting some games I already know I like in the top 10 results... Of course I'd love the tool to suggest me games I don't know but are going to like, but there's no quick way to test that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hart
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to get a Mac version of this tool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very cool Jonathan. Can you check and see if the player count filter is working? I asked for games that play 2 to 2 players and I got several solo only recommendations. Maybe I did something wrong?

I like how this works though. I'm going to play around with it some more.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
alexhart7 wrote:

Oh doesn't work with Mac? Saves me time in messing with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Villemure
Canada
Lévis
QC
flag msg tools
Stop hovering my badge !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saad1000 wrote:
This is very cool Jonathan. Can you check and see if the player count filter is working? I asked for games that play 2 to 2 players and I got several solo only recommendations. Maybe I did something wrong?

I like how this works though. I'm going to play around with it some more.

Indeed, there was a bug with the player count filter. I just fixed it and the new release is available at the same address. Thanks for the feedback. !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Villemure
Canada
Lévis
QC
flag msg tools
Stop hovering my badge !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexhart7 wrote:

For now, I coded the program under Windows because that is the OS I'm the most comfortable with, but if it generates enough interest, I can see making it multi-platforms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula Barber
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
A Recommendator-inator!
Very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. I'm fiddling with the settings but all it keeps recommending as #1 is Dune. So I am off to go buy that! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Barlow
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried running the app a few times, but receive an error message that it's unable to find the games.dat file which is sitting in the same folder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Villemure
Canada
Lévis
QC
flag msg tools
Stop hovering my badge !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BARL9758 wrote:
I've tried running the app a few times, but receive an error message that it's unable to find the games.dat file which is sitting in the same folder.

Did you unzip the file ? By default, Windows allows you to browse the content of the zip file like if it was a regular folder but the exe won't work if launched from within. Open the zip file by double-clicking on it, then drag the "Recommendator" folder out to your desktop of some other folder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work! I have a relatively small collection, and I've rated several expansions rather highly, so I think that may be skewing things a bit. But, all-in-all, it is a very impressive tool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Villemure
Canada
Lévis
QC
flag msg tools
Stop hovering my badge !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
Excellent work! I have a relatively small collection, and I've rated several expansions rather highly, so I think that may be skewing things a bit. But, all-in-all, it is a very impressive tool!

I've seen that problem during the beta with the people having collectible games (such as the X-Wing miniature games) so the current version ignore any ratings for expansions, therefore your recommendations only take into account the ratings for base games

I expect that you need to have at least ~50 rated games to get relevant recommendations. The more the better obviously !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Alexander
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is the code open source by any chance? I'd be interested in looking at it.goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
badge
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
THANKS!! Will check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Villemure
Canada
Lévis
QC
flag msg tools
Stop hovering my badge !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trickyturtle wrote:
Is the code open source by any chance? I'd be interested in looking at it.goo

Not for now. But the algorithms used to calculate the recommendations are detailed in the help file included. The rest is only lists, loops, and GUI stuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As already told to you elsewhere, it work really good.
Thank for taking your precious time to make this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Letting it guess my ratings is weird. I personally have found better numbers putting average rating and geek rating fairly low and the others higher, as then it's basing it more on my ratings and less on the masses.

I find it kind of funny that no matter what I do Vinhos Deluxe is always in the top few spots. This seems basically right but also unhelpful since I already know I like Vinhos. It's also interesting to see what kinds of idiosyncrasies I have in my ratings, in the sense that based on all available data I should like Voyages of Marco Polo more than I do and Mombasa less. But I think this illustrates that designers are a tough thing to factor in since they can have pretty varied outputs. Pfister I think is the prime example of this, making a bunch of mediocre to bad family games and then one (or maybe two now, I haven't played GWT) really good more substantial games.

But that said, I think designer is a good variable to have in there. Just for fun I tried putting mechanics up high and everything else at 1 and the top of my list was full of drawing based party games since the two such games I've played I like a good amount, as opposed to something like hand management where maybe I've played 100 such games and there are bound to be a few stinkers in there.

Overall though, the thing I'd be most curious about would be something that would factor game weight in. I know we can restrict the weights of the games outputted, but it might be interesting to factor in weight preferences. Although it could potentially also be completely unhelpful for a variety of reasons, not least of which being unreliable weight ratings both due to lack of clarity in definitions and lack of people rating weights.

Honestly this attempt is valiant and close to as good as you're going to be able to do with a system like this. I still think there are always weird inconsistencies with people's tastes (which of course is a good thing) that you'll never be able to take into account. For example, where in the data does it show that I won't like Marco Polo? I like everything else I've played from both designers, I like medium+ eurogames, I sometimes like dice worker placement, I like the merchants/explorers themes but the game just fell flat for me for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
A few ideas for other limits:

Not in top 100/250/1000/2500/5000
Not owned (or Owned) with a checkbox
Expansions (include/exclude)
For some of the cool features, like designers, could you have - at least 3/5 games by that designer rated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stewart
United States
Universal City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What language did you use, and have you considered putting the project on github? I'm a software developer by trade, and it would be interesting to take a look and maybe help improve it a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Villemure
Canada
Lévis
QC
flag msg tools
Stop hovering my badge !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zzantozz wrote:
What language did you use, and have you considered putting the project on github? I'm a software developer by trade, and it would be interesting to take a look and maybe help improve it a bit.

I used C++ with good old MFC. I might consider making it open-source at some point in the future. Like I said before, the way the scores are calculated is detailed in the help file, the rest is just GUI stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is solid work! In the top ten recs are games I've looked at, so that's a good indicator as far as I'm concerned. I guess I really need to go get Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Villemure
Canada
Lévis
QC
flag msg tools
Stop hovering my badge !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a new release available. Download it using the same link as before (See OP).

In this release, I've updated the game database so it is now up-to-date. I've also added a new filter to limit suggested games to a range of BGG ranks (By default 1-5000).

Finally, I've also imported the content of three geeklists that list which games have been ported to iOS, Android or PC. In addition to being able to use that as filters for suggestions, you can also browse all games available on each platform, sorted by their BGG ranking.

Hope you like it and keep the feedback coming !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Villemure
Canada
Lévis
QC
flag msg tools
Stop hovering my badge !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A new release is available, use the download link in the first post. Don't forget to subscribe to this thread to get notified whenever an update is released.

In this release :
-Updated the game database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Kerkhove
Netherlands
Roosendaal, The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks for this nice tool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.