Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: WTF, Kingdom Death from The Bad Guys Win rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I've gotten a lot of laughs over the years from Zack Parsons and Steve Sumner's blogs about the risible art and game elements of RPGs, originally at Something Awful as "WTF, D&D?" and now at The Bad Guys Win. Take a look if you like, starting perhaps with http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/fantasy-a... or http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/wtf-monst... .

Anyway, they just did a column about KDM. It has a few flaws, in my opinion--it makes the common mistake that the wet nurse and forge god are part of the game, and though the writers are primarily reviewing the game as art, they could have written a more interesting and funny piece had they found a way to play the game beforehand.

Still, worth a read. http://www.thebadguyswin.com/2017/02/the-horny-horror-artwor...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
INB4:

"Why did you review a game without playing it - would you review a movie before watching it?"

"OMG! The Wet Nurse is NOT PART OF THE GAME."

"The pinups are NOT sexy! They're just naked - it's like a BBC documentary."

"It's not expensive, I have multiple 40k armies that cost me $20,000 each!"




This was meant in jest, please don't kill me.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Fun article. Nice views of some of the art for those of us who haven't seen it all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great quotes in that whole review.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
KevBelisle wrote:

"Why did you review a game without playing it - would you review a movie before watching it?"

"OMG! The Wet Nurse is NOT PART OF THE GAME."

Op beat you to both points, nerd.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Crouch
msg tools
*sigh* so tired of these dudes trying to cash in on something they have no experience with.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Impossibeard wrote:
*sigh* so tired of these dudes trying to cash in on something they have no experience with.


Ok lol, I'll bite. This is the first I've heard of them, but from whay I've understood this is by 2 guys who have a more or less monthly column where they discuss artwork in DnD and other games.

How exactly is writing about the artwork in KD:M "cashing in"?

By your argument, did SU&SD "cash in" when they did their video about KD:M? Did all the video game reviewers "cash in" with their reviews of Zelda:BotW?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
Impossibeard wrote:
*sigh* so tired of these dudes trying to cash in on something they have no experience with.


Ok lol, I'll bite. This is the first I've heard of them, but from whay I've understood this is by 2 guys who have a more or less monthly column where they discuss artwork in DnD and other games.

How exactly is writing about the artwork in KD:M "cashing in"?

By your argument, did SU&SD "cash in" when they did their video about KD:M? Did all the video game reviewers "cash in" with their reviews of Zelda:BotW?


I think what he meant is more like "they wrote a piece on KD:M despite never having played it because it's got a huge hype going on at the moment so it'll get them some extra Google search clicks and ad revenue."

Game reviewers don't cash in on BotW since game reviewers play the games they review - usually start to finish.

I know people that write clickbait articles on the slow days, it's common practice to write about things that are "trending" to get some extra ad revenue - even if you don't know jack shit about the thing you're writing an article about. Not saying that's what the article in the OP is, just saying it looks like it could be.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinceness wrote:
I think what he meant is more like "they wrote a piece on KD:M despite never having played it because it's got a huge hype going on at the moment so it'll get them some extra Google search clicks and ad revenue."

Game reviewers don't cash in on BotW since game reviewers play the games they review - usually start to finish.

I know people that write clickbait articles on the slow days, it's common practice to write about things that are "trending" to get some extra ad revenue - even if you don't know jack shit about the thing you're writing an article about. Not saying that's what the article in the OP is, just saying it looks like it could be.


Well, there are 2 massive holes in his argument then.

A) These guys only seem to publish a couple articles a month, at most. I doubt they're writing any of them for clicks - especially since there are no ads on their site.

B) They write about artwork in games, which is what they did here. They didn't review the game. The only section where they even mentioned game play is under the image of the Gorm - and it's a very factual "this is a brief summary of the game play". They do not bring up game play in their verdict at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
Well, there are 2 massive holes in his argument then.

A) These guys only seem to publish a couple articles a month, at most. I doubt they're writing any of them for clicks - especially since there are no ads on their site.


I can't see any ads either, but I have Adblock so I can't comment on this. All I know is they do open themselves up to advertisers, but with some strict rules regarding which ads they do and don't allow on their website.

http://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/something-awf...

KevBelisle wrote:
B) They write about artwork in games, which is what they did here. They didn't review the game. The only section where they even mentioned game play is under the image of the Gorm - and it's a very factual "this is a brief summary of the game play". They do not bring up game play in their verdict at all.


Well sure, but if you're doing google searches for "Kingdom Death Review" or something, you won't know it's an artwork article until you've already clicked the link.

I don't consider it a crime or "foul play" by any means, though. That's just the world of internet articles that we live in. More clicks = more views = more potential income, be it through ads or through donations or through merch. Every website has a business attached to it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I just enjoyed having a new article to read that scratches the KD:M itch. People write click bait, but if the click bait provides me amusement, I'm fine with that. (I really don't think their article is cashing in given that art in games seems to be a theme for them; it would be odd if they didn't get to KD:M eventually, because more than any other game I've seen KD:M is art. Agree it's too bad they haven't played it, but there is a pretty high hurdle to clear to get to play it in person right now if you don't know someone who already has a copy.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinceness wrote:
KevBelisle wrote:
A) These guys only seem to publish a couple articles a month, at most. I doubt they're writing any of them for clicks - especially since there are no ads on their site.


I can't see any ads either, but I have Adblock so I can't comment on this. All I know is they do open themselves up to advertisers, but with some strict rules regarding which ads they do and don't allow on their website.

http://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/something-awf...


For the record, Somethingawful's advertising rules don't apply to this article, which is on Zack & Steve's personal site thebadguyswin.com
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In any case, advertising or not, I have a hard time seeing someone build a case that the article is click bait. The hype around the KS has largely died down (check Google Trends if you're curious) and the article is on par with all their other articles (from what I could tell, at a glance). Any argument that could be made to depict this article as click bait could likely apply to a very large percentage of articles on the internet. Now if you were to argue that most articles ARE click bait well, that's a whole other discussion I suppose...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
In any case, advertising or not, I have a hard time seeing someone build a case that the article is click bait.

Yeah, I agree. I'm a regular reader of the site, and this is par for the course -- reviews/jokes about games with strange or crazy art is a regular thing they do, and no matter how one feels about KD:M, no way could you claim the art isn't strange or crazy.

And if the article seems like it's too timely, consider that they probably had hundreds of people emailing them saying "Oh shit guys, check out Kingdom Death! It's nuts, you guys gotta see this, I can't wait for your review!"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.